Page 103 of 181 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 3602

Crypto

How many of you would rather purchase crypto over trade stocks?

Any recommendations for crypto now?

I have small amounts of BTC, ETH, SHIB, DOGE, LITE.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by basketballamadeus View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Personally, I do a balance of traditional stocks and crypto, about 70%-30% now. Index funds, mostly on the traditional stuff. Everybody is different. Do your homework and what you think is best for you.

Recommendations? Ditch the meme coins.

Crypto:
    Dollar cost average,(DCA) whatever you can comfortably afford, don’t stretch yourself out, just be disciplined and do it regularly.

50% Bitcoin
    25% layer one crypto’s like Ethereum, Solana, Cardano, etc…
    25% mix of coins like Enjin (for gaming), Chainlink, (oracle for smart contracts), The Sandbox, (for Metaverse)….

My two satoshi’s…

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    My friends who believe crypto is the same as tulips think that because they saw one youtube video of charlie munger and warren buffett making the comparison, and they still don't know what crypto really is.
    And that is exactly why your friends are smart to avoid crypto currency. Peter Lynch (for those old enough to remember him) always advised people to invest in what they knew. Just like writing the great American novel, write what you know.

BTW, you could do worse than listen to the advice of Warren Buffett. OTOH, if you really know all about blockchain algorithms, then go for it!

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by basketballamadeus View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Been buying EtH since around 2k per. I have some DOGE but that’s, well a dog with fleas so far. I’m in on ETH as I look at it as being the Burger King to MacDonald’s Bitcoin for the established crypto but more so because when these new meme type currencies are hard to tap into for non tec people before they pop 7000% — however ETH is becoming a universal exchange currency for swapping to the obscure currencies. Be careful some are total scams and close shop. Dabbling in a little crypto has been good so far and mostly for a somewhat inflation hedge plus some bonds. Gemini (winklvi) is good platform so is coin base but Robinhood is a great way to dabble.

For people traveling the country on Coach Ks final season… why not grab some Luv or Hertz (only on a draw back) and make a little side cabbage as Ffizer is touting a 90 percent effective COVID treatment.

Speaking of crypto I met a professional basketball player who is retired but still relatively young… he played overseas. A few years back he was showing me central bank conspiracy videos and pictures of elected officials sharing secret codes to buy Bitcoin. Naturally I thought it a bit sketchy but he poured the bulk of his savings into BC when in the low to middle hundreds up past 10k per. When BC first peaked around 17k … I said, please tell me you sold… His response was … ‘I will never sell.’ So I worried for him and his young family when BC went sub 7k. But he never sold. Now it’s 62k. And now that hedge funds and wealth managers gave in and offer it to clients it’s not as cool. But more stable.

Last question. With all the new betting apps are there odds discussions on this board or is that a third rail for this board? Just asking if anyone has tried em…

Great interview with Michael Saylor, the CEO of Microstrategy, a multi million dollar business intelligence software company. He led his company to become one of the first institutions to buy Bitcoin for its balance sheet and, needless to say, it’s been a profitable strategy.

It’s a must watch to get a grasp on just what Bitcoin is and where he thinks it’s going…

There are 100 pennies in a dollar.

There are 100 million satoshi’s in a Bitcoin that can be stored securely on your phone/computer and be exchanged instantly, without a third party involved. (Banks).

Bitcoin lives on a distributed ledger in cyberspace. The Bitcoin software code is open source and decentralized, meaning they are easy to track and transparent for everyone to see all the transactions ever made on the ledger.

The network cannot be manipulated by corporations, governments, or individuals. There is no central attack point. It’s a spiderweb of 10’s of thousands of computers providing security all around the world.

You can buy whatever amount of satoshi’s you like, with any currency. You don’t have to buy whole bitcoins, something many are unaware of.

There is a finite amount of Bitcoin,(21,000,000), that will ever be produced. No-one can create more.

It’s the most scarce property, digitally created, the world has ever placed value on.

It’s never to late to own Bitcoin, or satoshi’s.

Bitcoin sayings….”You eventually buy Bitcoin at the price you deserve”, and “you never feel like you have enough Bitcoin”.

Had I paid attention in 2019 when I first considered it, but didn’t do the study to understand it, and be confident in it….I could have bought whole coins under $10,000. Unfortunately, I paid more for mine. Tonight, one will cost over $65,000.

Next year, who knows? 5 years? 10 years?

Worldwide mass adoption is coming for this unique digital property…..supply and demand economics are/will be kicking in.

Banks want Bitcoin. When bank regulations catchup and bankers are allowed to custody Bitcoin for clients, with FDIC insurance, making loans with Bitcoin as collateral…when a spot market ETF is approved and the massive retail market, along with institutions, can easily enter into owning shares of Bitcoin thru their financial advisors without the custody headaches … both now under US government debate and very likely approved within the next year……owning even 0.5 Bitcoin will be extremely valuable soon, IMO.

Obviously, I’m very bullish on Bitcoin. The more you look into it, the more I think you will see the opportunity to grow your wealth.
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 11-07-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    The network cannot be manipulated by corporations, governments, or individuals. There is no central attack point. It’s a spiderweb of 10’s of thousands of computers providing security all around the world..
    Yes, yes it can. Who ever controls 51% of the hash power controls Bitcoin. Don’t think the US or Chinese governments don’t have that type of computing power. Heck Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook and probably Saleforce and Oracle could muster up that type of power if they wanted to. Unlikely? Yes, not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Yes, yes it can. Who ever controls 51% of the hash power controls Bitcoin. Don’t think the US or Chinese governments don’t have that type of computing power. Heck Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook and probably Saleforce and Oracle could muster up that type of power if they wanted to. Unlikely? Yes, not impossible.
    In theory, the Bitcoin Network potentially could be hacked. In practice, it’s almost impossible. It’s the largest, most decentralized, computer network in the world.

But I should acknowledge your point. Anything can be compromised in this world, so I stand corrected on my definitive statement.

The effort it would take to hack Bitcoin would require so much coordinated computer power, as to not make it profitable or practical, even for a government attack by China. It’s one of the main reasons why they banned Bitcoin, they cannot control it.

I don’t have time now to provide too many security links, but let’s say trillions of dollars have been bet on Bitcoin by much smarter people than me and they have determined the network to be secure. So I’ll follow them on this decision.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/long...n-wallets.html

I think it has been asked before, but would it be possible to create a separate thread for crypto? I think it is fascinating and blockchain technology in general is cool, but I try to refrain from posting since I am new to investing and I don't want to clog the investments thread. Sometimes I'd like to post stuff about crypto that is more about fundamentals than investing or speculating price too. Figured I'd ask. I am invested in crushing the wildcats tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukeman View Post
    I think it has been asked before, but would it be possible to create a separate thread for crypto? I think it is fascinating and blockchain technology in general is cool, but I try to refrain from posting since I am new to investing and I don't want to clog the investments thread. Sometimes I'd like to post stuff about crypto that is more about fundamentals than investing or speculating price too. Figured I'd ask. I am invested in crushing the wildcats tomorrow.
    There was a Bitcoin thread I bumped — maybe a mod can retitle it to reflect a Crypto Conversation or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There was a Bitcoin thread I bumped — maybe a mod can retitle it to reflect a Crypto Conversation or some such.
    Thx!

I assume the market had already priced in expectations that the infrastructure bill would pass but probably some construction, etc companies out there feeling better about their outlooks today.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I assume the market had already priced in expectations that the infrastructure bill would pass but probably some construction, etc companies out there feeling better about their outlooks today.
    Yes, the market reaction has been interesting as some of those stocks have continued to run.

Lots of big moves lately, a stock called Roblox (RBLX), in online gaming looks like it will pop 25% at the open. My former employer, GE, announced it is going to split into 3 companies. I'm selling on the news.

Black Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Black Friday?
    For some reason I had thought US markets were closed day after Thanksgiving. I imagine it is typically lighter trading than normal so the decline is especially noteworthy. My small cap value holdings are taking a beating, down nearly 6% today. Should have executed my long Treasury hedge sooner, which are up substantially...

The unknowns about the new variant are certainly freaking people out based on what we saw with Delta.

Still, I've been waiting a decline to add to certain positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    For some reason I had thought US markets were closed day after Thanksgiving. I imagine it is typically lighter trading than normal so the decline is especially noteworthy. My small cap value holdings are taking a beating, down nearly 6% today. Should have executed my long Treasury hedge sooner, which are up substantially...

The unknowns about the new variant are certainly freaking people out based on what we saw with Delta.

Still, I've been waiting a decline to add to certain positions.
    I added to most of my after-tax index positions today. I could certainly see a correction in the 10-15% range but would be surprised if March 2020 repeated barring this new (or future) variant being especially, God forbid, pernicious. I am buoyed that now that a vaccine is developed, if I understand things correctly, we can get variants of it to market a lot more quickly than we could the original vaccine.

Post-holiday trading where most decision makers are away. Except for the algorithms which tend to favor price momentum.

The key takeaway I've found so far for the new variant came from the South African Minister of public health, 1 to 4 vaccinated to non-vaccinated. Lots more to learn/discover but panic isn't helpful. With that said, I would avoid the travel stocks and things like Disney. I did sell my Disney holdings higher and will look to buy back in at slightly lower levels.

Yesterday was a bit rough on my tech and crypto. I haven’t been paying attention lately due to work, what happened?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yesterday was a bit rough on my tech and crypto. I haven’t been paying attention lately due to work, what happened?
    Just a layperson's opinion: sell off really started on a Thanksgiving Friday when Omicron headlines hit the news. That was followed this week by Jay Powell testifying and coming across as more hawkish which "obviously" drove yields down as the 10 year bond went from 1.66 on 11/23 to 1.35 at yesterday's close. The more likely cause of that move is a rotation away from more speculative stock(tech) into bonds and value. The Dow was down 1.25% in this week while the NASDAQ Composite was down 4%.

Boeing/China/Olympics

I'm thinking that if the US announces that the diplomats are not going to China, then the Chinese government will Not, or will delay, an announced purchase of planes from Boeing. Since they are the largest purchaser of planes, that would adversely affect the stock. However, since planes are not delivered for many years, there is time to recover. But initial impact should be to the downside (a buying opportunity to an already depressed stock).

Larry
    DevilHorse