Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1

    A trip to Jamaica?

    Hey all!

    So we were planning a trip, and the wife was looking at an all inclusive, I think called Beaches, in Jamaica.

    But my father in law was very upset, because he was convinced Jamaica is super dangerous.

    We were not planning on leaving the resort.

    Anyone here have any experience with the island who can give any advice?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all!

    So we were planning a trip, and the wife was looking at an all inclusive, I think called Beaches, in Jamaica.

    But my father in law was very upset, because he was convinced Jamaica is super dangerous.

    We were not planning on leaving the resort.

    Anyone here have any experience with the island who can give any advice?

    Thanks!
    Your wifeís name isnít Stella, is it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    To each his or her own, but my wife and I choose to not stay in locales where the grounds are (have to be?) patrolled by guards with assault rifles. (I know a lot of people who have enjoyed Jamaica, some not so much).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Have a great trip! And stay on the property.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Your wifeís name isnít Stella, is it?
    NoÖ?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    To each his or her own, but my wife and I choose to not stay in locales where the grounds are (have to be?) patrolled by guards with assault rifles. (I know a lot of people who have enjoyed Jamaica, some not so much).


    That doesnít sound promisingÖ

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Grand Cayman is nice and just as easy to get to.
    ďCoach said no 3s.Ē - Zion on The Block

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    NoÖ?
    Youíll be fine. Taye Diggsí are the biggest dangers in Jamaica.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all!

    So we were planning a trip, and the wife was looking at an all inclusive, I think called Beaches, in Jamaica.

    But my father in law was very upset, because he was convinced Jamaica is super dangerous.

    We were not planning on leaving the resort.

    Anyone here have any experience with the island who can give any advice?

    Thanks!
    State Department has advisories for the entire island country due to COVID and, due to crime, to the following areas of Montego Bay:
    Montego Bay

    Violence and shootings occur regularly in some areas of Montego Bay. Do not travel to the following areas:

    Canterbury
    Clavers Street
    Flankers
    Hart Street
    Norwood
    Rose Heights
    Make your own judgment. We have had two wonderful visits to Mexico in recent years (Mex. City and Oaxaca), and it is a country with lots of crime problems -- but certain regions and areas are OK.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all!

    So we were planning a trip, and the wife was looking at an all inclusive, I think called Beaches, in Jamaica.

    But my father in law was very upset, because he was convinced Jamaica is super dangerous.

    We were not planning on leaving the resort.

    Anyone here have any experience with the island who can give any advice?

    Thanks!
    You will be fine. I - admittedly quite stupidly - went to Jamaica over this past New Years. Airport to van to resortÖ stay there for a week Ö. Resort to van to airport.

    Itís super safe.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

    President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    State Department has advisories for the entire island country due to COVID and, due to crime, to the following areas of Montego Bay:

    Make your own judgment. We have had two wonderful visits to Mexico in recent years (Mex. City and Oaxaca), and it is a country with lots of crime problems -- but certain regions and areas are OK.
    The State Department has travel to Jamaica at Level 3 - Reconsider Travel.

    That said, try reading foreign countries' travel advisories about coming to the United States. I wouldn't want to travel here and I live here!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    We did the all-inclusive resort in Ocho RŪos about 5 years ago. Flew into Montego Bay & took the shuttle. Loved it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  13. #13
    Been to Jamaica twice (Sandals Ocho Rios and Dunnís River) but itís been awhile (mid 90s). Leaving the resort on our own wasn't fun. We didnít feel endangered as much as depressed. Really poor people trying to make a few bucks off tourist. We bought a bunch crap we didnít want and left it in our suit when we left both times. I like Reggae and Red Stripe but was dying for a Budweiser and some Tom Petty as soon as we landed. Iíve improved my beer taste since. Iíd hate to be trashed on the yum beer thread. That said we had a blast both time hanging out at the resort and doing the various excursions. The Bahamas and Cancun were much better for exploring on your own tho.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    I've been to Jamaica a few times and took my kids to Beaches Resort in Negril a number of years ago. We had a great time and I agree with the others that Jamaica isn't the type of place where you can leave the property and do excursions, like parts of Mexico (Playa del Carmen) or Costa Rica (which is overall a fantastic country with educated and friendly people who love tourists). But a Jamaica trip is less costly, I believe. That being said, Negril has amazing beaches, the water is clear and beautiful, and the resort caters to and is wonderful for kids and families. Plus you get to wake up to Blue Mountain coffee, which is some of the best in the world and cannot be recreated by taking the beans home. I'm sure it has to do with the water.

    My one complaint about Jamaica (other than not being able to leave the property) is that the locals do find a way to access the property and "bother" the guests by trying to sell stuff, mostly by walking down the beach or coming in boats onto the beach. It's not uncommon to see Rasta men walking down the beach selling beads, seashells, water activities, and of course marijuana (which, before legalization, was some of the best in the world). The sound of someone calling in a Jamaican accent, "parasailing, jet skis," on the beach, throughout the day, still rings in my ears and has been a family joke ever since.

    Edit: You will also never hear as much Bob Marley music or drink as much Red Stripe in your life.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've been to Jamaica a few times and took my kids to Beaches Resort in Negril a number of years ago. We had a great time and I agree with the others that Jamaica isn't the type of place where you can leave the property and do excursions, like parts of Mexico (Playa del Carmen) or Costa Rica (which is overall a fantastic country with educated and friendly people who love tourists). But a Jamaica trip is less costly, I believe. That being said, Negril has amazing beaches, the water is clear and beautiful, and the resort caters to and is wonderful for kids and families. Plus you get to wake up to Blue Mountain coffee, which is some of the best in the world and cannot be recreated by taking the beans home. I'm sure it has to do with the water.

    My one complaint about Jamaica (other than not being able to leave the property) is that the locals do find a way to access the property and "bother" the guests by trying to sell stuff, mostly by walking down the beach or coming in boats onto the beach. It's not uncommon to see Rasta men walking down the beach selling beads, seashells, water activities, and of course marijuana (which, before legalization, was some of the best in the world). The sound of someone calling in a Jamaican accent, "parasailing, jet skis," on the beach, throughout the day, still rings in my ears and has been a family joke ever since.

    Edit: You will also never hear as much Bob Marley music or drink as much Red Stripe in your life.
    Negril Beach, you say? When my daughter was a senior at Duke in the 1990's, she told me she was planning a spring break to Jamaica. "Where," I asked? "Negril Beach." "Do you know anything about it?" "Not really." So, I grabbed a handy tourist guide,d looked up Negril Beach and read the opening sentence -- "Negril Beach is the marijuana capital of the Caribbean." Not just Jamaica.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Negril Beach, you say? When my daughter was a senior at Duke in the 1990's, she told me she was planning a spring break to Jamaica. "Where," I asked? "Negril Beach." "Do you know anything about it?" "Not really." So, I grabbed a handy tourist guide,d looked up Negril Beach and read the opening sentence -- "Negril Beach is the marijuana capital of the Caribbean." Not just Jamaica.
    As a young, single man in the 90ís, a buddy and I spent a week in Hedonism, also in Negril. Unfortunately those stories are not PG rated and canít be shared here, but suffice it to say it lived up to its reputation.

    We were also bold (and stupid) enough to go off property with a ďguideĒ on mopeds. Turns out he was looking for someone to help import his home grown marijuana to the US. He brought us to his house in which we tested the wares with a blunt the size of which would make Cheech and Chong proud. His immediate stash filled a large, contractor size, black garbage bag. Riding the moped home after that was not a good idea. Itís amazing to think back on my poor decisions as a young man.

    Edit: we also stopped at a roadside BBQ (literally a Rasta man with a grill) and had the best jerk chicken I had, and will ever have, in my life!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As a young, single man in the 90ís, a buddy and I spent a week in Hedonism, also in Negril. Unfortunately those stories are not PG rated and canít be shared here, but suffice it to say it lived up to its reputation.

    We were also bold (and stupid) enough to go off property with a ďguideĒ on mopeds. Turns out he was looking for someone to help import his home grown marijuana to the US. He brought us to his house in which we tested the wares with a blunt the size of which would make Cheech and Chong proud. His immediate stash filled a large, contractor size, black garbage bag. Riding the moped home after that was not a good idea. Itís amazing to think back on my poor decisions as a young man.

    Edit: we also stopped at a roadside BBQ (literally a Rasta man with a grill) and had the best jerk chicken I had, and will ever have, in my life!
    Iím not sure the it was the jerk chicken alone that is impossible to replicate. I once ate a whole bag of danish wedding cookies with a vanilla milkshake, under similar circumstances, and would have sworn it was the best meal ever prepared.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Iím not sure the it was the jerk chicken alone that is impossible to replicate. I once ate a whole bag of danish wedding cookies with a vanilla milkshake, under similar circumstances, and would have sworn it was the best meal ever prepared.
    Similar syndrome as those big jars of horrific pickled polish sausages and pickled eggs in bars which somehow look edible after midnight.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Similar syndrome as those big jars of horrific pickled polish sausages and pickled eggs in bars which somehow look edible after midnight.
    When you wake up and see an empty sack from Krystals lying nearby, you know itís gonna be a rough morning.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As a young, single man in the 90ís, a buddy and I spent a week in Hedonism, also in Negril. Unfortunately those stories are not PG rated and canít be shared here, but suffice it to say it lived up to its reputation.

    We were also bold (and stupid) enough to go off property with a ďguideĒ on mopeds. Turns out he was looking for someone to help import his home grown marijuana to the US. He brought us to his house in which we tested the wares with a blunt the size of which would make Cheech and Chong proud. His immediate stash filled a large, contractor size, black garbage bag. Riding the moped home after that was not a good idea. Itís amazing to think back on my poor decisions as a young man.

    Edit: we also stopped at a roadside BBQ (literally a Rasta man with a grill) and had the best jerk chicken I had, and will ever have, in my life!
    Did you import it?

Similar Threads

  1. Alaska trip
    By JNort in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM
  2. First trip
    By ronthompso in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2014, 05:56 PM
  3. Help! First trip to Durham
    By should_be_working in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 09:44 AM
  4. The trip
    By billybreen in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
  5. International Trip?
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •