Page 10 of 181 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    A lot of Sears properties are locally owned old strip centers, dead malls, not publicly traded companies.
    The mall with traditional anchors (e.g. Sears) approach, so widespread for decades, is largely going kaput.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The mall with traditional anchors (e.g. Sears) approach, so widespread for decades, is largely going kaput.
    Yeah, so so malls are getting killed by mega malls to a degree, but mostly, the "power strip" centers, not to mention online. In NC for instance, the now sleepy malls in New Bern, Goldsboro, etc, are dying a slow ugly death. Malls and shopping centers are now more dependent on ever for tenants who cannot be replaced online (restaurants, dentists, vets, chiro and massage,non-affiliated churches, etc)

It wasn't that long ago that a restaurant, other than some fast foods, in a shopping center was kind of odd.(NOTE: I owned a business where retailers were my customers for 20 plus years...I saw a lot of change).

Added a Disney (DIS) starter position yesterday and went big on DowDuPont (DWDP) and AT&T (T). My heavy heavy bias to large cap tech which has served me well this year is no longer.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Added a Disney (DIS) starter position yesterday and went big on DowDuPont (DWDP) and AT&T (T). My heavy heavy bias to large cap tech which has served me well this year is no longer.
    Should have gone home on DWDP.

Anyone have any good ideas heading into 2019?

Duck and cover?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Duck and cover?

-jk
    Or maybe thoughts and prayers?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

“Send lawyers, guns and money —
    The $#’+ has hit the fan”

— Zevon

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “Send lawyers, guns and money —
    The $#’+ has hit the fan”

— Zevon
    Ha! When I sent those lyrics to our son's buddy with whom he split their GBS: The Complete Set, his reply was, "I never go anywhere without them."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ha! When I sent those lyrics to our son's buddy with whom he split their GBS: The Complete Set, his reply was, "I never go anywhere without them."
    Smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    What tre your goals for the money being invested?

The 2019 Final Four MOP, of course. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Exceptional growth for minimal risk 🤣

After the trainwreck that has been in progress since August, I’m still growth focused.

As a long time JNJ holder appalled at the whole talc powder situation, I have a minor position I’d like to put elsewhere.

Still largely in mutual funds tracking S&P 500, NASDAQ 100, and MSCI, with small amounts of specific stocks like Apple and Amazon.

I enjoyed the irrational run up, and now I’m taking it on the chin like a lot of others.

Always looking to learn more.

Exceptional growth for minimal risk ��

After the trainwreck that has been in progress since August, I’m still growth focused.

As a long time JNJ holder appalled at the whole talc powder situation, I have a minor position I’d like to put elsewhere.

Still largely in mutual funds tracking S&P 500, NASDAQ 100, and MSCI, with small amounts of specific stocks like Apple and Amazon.

I enjoyed the irrational run up, and now I’m taking it on the chin like a lot of others.

Always looking to learn more.

I'm seeing 3% CDs! Seriously though, this is not investment advice, just what I play around with for fun. The bulk of my portfolio is indexed as you mention(mutual funds and ETFs.) By MSCI, I assume you mean one of their international weightings indexes like EAFE.

December has been a roller coaster ride. I sidestepped a lot of the losses this time round but am scrambling to keep up with the whoosh going back up. Move to DWDP did not do super great. Not sure if I should follow the whoosh but some economic fundamentals at a high level seem okay, some regions are showing stress(Richmond Fed Factory Gauge Falls Most Ever as Shipments Drop https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-all-forecasts). Whether they indicate longer trends is the question.

FAANG - Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google has largely played out momentum wise, parts of it are of interest still, particularly those with cloud exposure(AMZN, GOOGL) in that they supply cloud capabilities to others. Other cloud names of interest might include Adobe(ADBE), Salesforce(CRM), ServiceNow (NOW), Workday(WDAY) with more speculative names like Splunk (SPLK) and Okta(OKTA). Another more household name to play this would be Microsoft (MSFT) which also pays a dividend. I've heard a couple pitches for IBM recently as they are buying Red Hat, I'm intrigued but haven't done the work yet.

Away from tech, financials may be treacherous, the Fed guidance on still having two rate hikes next year is what exacerbated the most recent drop, it sounds tone deaf(see prior Bloomberg article). I'm also looking at international in particular emerging markets non-China which really means Brazil and Pacific Rim opportunities. Traditional mutual funds are still some of the better ways to go after that.

Finally, FWIW, I sold my JNJ exposure the day of the Reuters article but am subsuquently moving back in(at lower prices than I paid for it). The science is mixed with the FDA accepted testing indicating no asbestos. Other tests may indicate something. Of note was an interview a few days after the Reuters article with one of the trial lawyers: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/18/atto...-purposes.html I'll let you interpret it how you would like, as for me I'm going back in the stock.

So, just a few ideas to think about, overall you shouldn't be reacting if your asset allocation is done properly. Just keep on adding to it periodically to take advantage of the market fluctuations.

I'm seeing 3% CDs! Seriously though, this is not investment advice, just what I play around with for fun. The bulk of my portfolio is indexed as you mention(mutual funds and ETFs.) By MSCI, I assume you mean one of their international weightings indexes like EAFE.

December has been a roller coaster ride. I sidestepped a lot of the losses this time round but am scrambling to keep up with the whoosh going back up. Move to DWDP did not do super great. Not sure if I should follow the whoosh but some economic fundamentals at a high level seem okay, some regions are showing stress(Richmond Fed Factory Gauge Falls Most Ever as Shipments Drop https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-all-forecasts). Whether they indicate longer trends is the question.

FAANG - Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google has largely played out momentum wise, parts of it are of interest still, particularly those with cloud exposure(AMZN, GOOGL) in that they supply cloud capabilities to others. Other cloud names of interest might include Adobe(ADBE), Salesforce(CRM), ServiceNow (NOW), Workday(WDAY) with more speculative names like Splunk (SPLK) and Okta(OKTA). Another more household name to play this would be Microsoft (MSFT) which also pays a dividend. I've heard a couple pitches for IBM recently as they are buying Red Hat, I'm intrigued but haven't done the work yet.

Away from tech, financials may be treacherous, the Fed guidance on still having two rate hikes next year is what exacerbated the most recent drop, it sounds tone deaf(see prior Bloomberg article). I'm also looking at international in particular emerging markets non-China which really means Brazil and Pacific Rim opportunities. Traditional mutual funds are still some of the better ways to go after that.

Finally, FWIW, I sold my JNJ exposure the day of the Reuters article but am subsuquently moving back in(at lower prices than I paid for it). The science is mixed with the FDA accepted testing indicating no asbestos. Other tests may indicate something. Of note was an interview a few days after the Reuters article with one of the trial lawyers: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/18/atto...-purposes.html I'll let you interpret it how you would like, as for me I'm going back in the stock.

So, just a few ideas to think about, overall you shouldn't be reacting if your asset allocation is done properly. Just keep on adding to it periodically to take advantage of the market fluctuations.
    I use or do business with most of the tech sector you mention- wouldn’t say I am an expert beyond all you mention are solid companies. Only downside of splunk is it is criminally expensive and their business model seems to be modeled after Oracle, which doesn’t give a whit about its customers.

I feel like most of where I have mutual funds is pretty solid. I have been reading about ETFs as a lower cost alternative, and most of my funds are pretty low cost anyway.

I’m probably just in the bucket of I watch my portfolio “too much”, and also in the mindset of I could always do better.

fuse, we're buying silver, coins and bullion. Already have a nice stock portfolio (sitting on that, no changes planned), but diversifying into precious metals as a hedge. Silver at $15.50 or so is a good buy, imo. I've been collecting coins for 44 years, to an extent. Not any large collection, just keeping stuff as I come across it. Now I buy as often as possible. We visit pawn shops and coin dealers (and an occasional on-line purchase). There are some beautiful coins being minted out there. I particularly like the Queen's Beasts coins. https://sdbullion.com/silver/british...t-silver-coins I invest about $200/month or so. Also looking into hemp stocks; haven't bought in yet, but close. Bitcoin scares me a bit (no pun...). Always like Markel on a dip, but at $900+ per share...

Just a few random thoughts. Party on Garth!!

For anyone interested, starting positions in 2019:

AMZN
    AAPL
    GILD
    JNJ

FIVFX
    FNGBX
    FOCPX
    FTQGX
    FXAIX

FCNKX
    VTSNX

Wishing all a prosperous 2019.

Well-timed.

I added to ADBE, DIS, MSFT stakes on weakness and started a position in NVDA on Thursday.

Well-timed.

I added to ADBE, DIS, MSFT stakes on weakness and started a position in NVDA on Thursday.
    I get Disney, Microsoft and Nvidia.
    Why Adobe?

I get Disney, Microsoft and Nvidia.
    Why Adobe?
    I used to use Dreamweaver(bought it academic pricing) back in the day. Then they went to a subscription service. Then they went SaaS. Their revenue growth has been incredibly good 22+% and the stock price has followed.