Page 57 of 182 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3629
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I can appreciate your sense of humour. 🤣
    That’s because your elbow pain wasn’t caused by tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I think I'll read that myself. I take the advice of others on my portfolio - I really don't have much of an interest in studying/analyzing individual stocks and mutual funds. I was fortunate enough to go to work for a small business in my 20s where the owner wanted to be able to retire - she started us with a SEP. Once the number of employees reached a certain point, she went with a Simple and I did the max contribution. I tried to talk one of my co-workers into giving up 3% of her gross so she would get the match - immediate 100% return on her investment. Couldn't get her to do it - boss tried as well.

I've been lucky enough to get involved with some good advisors - one convinced me to get long term care insurance when they still had the 10 year pay plan - paid through the nose for it but am done paying and have decent coverage with a respectable company.
    I think you would appreciate the book. It’s about keeping it simple, with index funds, and using time to your advantage.

I think the co-worker, you mentioned, really needs the book. They probably would not appreciate my recommended delivery method.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    That’s because your elbow pain wasn’t caused by tennis.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hey! I resemble that remark!!
    It’s nice to see you guys venturing to other threads today.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    ...(re-balancing occasionally and adjusting as you get older and/or your life circumstances change)...
    This is exactly what I am looking to do. Seeing as retirement is a few years away (four or five), I am looking to decide when to move my TSP into the safe G Fund.
    Bob Green

FTR: I lurk this thread any time I see that a new post has been made. But it is less-active than some others which shall remain nameless . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This is exactly what I am looking to do. Seeing as retirement is a few years away (four or five), I am looking to decide when to move my TSP into the safe G Fund.
    I understand but as Jeffrey points out above, at age 61, you may have a lifespan of 30 years or more to plan for (even if you retire within 4 to 5 years). Unless you have a huge sum saved already, you probably want your money to grow over time to account for inflation and rising living costs. My educated guess is that, over the 30-year period, you will do better being more heavily invested in equities (mutual funds or ETF's), as long as you can handle the volatility inherent in a more aggressive portfolio. Admittedly, this is no 100% guarantee and you should be flexible, depending on what happens in the world. But and given ultra low interest rates on most investment-grade fixed income investments, I think stocks are the only game in town.

FTR: I lurk this thread any time I see that a new post has been made.
    That’s prudent. Even though you’re an industry expert, you shouldn’t have 100% of your money invested in barley futures.

That’s prudent. Even though you’re an industry expert, you shouldn’t have 100% of your money invested in barley futures.
    I diversify. With hops futures.

Hard to know where one is welcome.
    None of us are a one trick pony (keg). 🙄😳🤣

I diversify. With hops futures.
    That’s very wise. Invest in what you know best!

That’s very wise. Invest in what you know best!
    Hard to invest in bogeys.

Well, if I have a vote, then you’re definitely welcome here! BYOB!

Hard to invest in bogeys.
    Invest in Titleist, your balls don’t last as many rounds.

Invest in Callaway, your balls don’t last as many rounds.
    FIFY. I usually play the black-and-yellow soccer-ball pattern to reduce the loss rate. Unsuccessfully, I might add.

FIFY. I usually play the black-and-yellow soccer-ball pattern to reduce the loss rate. Unsuccessfully, I might add.
    In that case, tomorrow morning, we should both go long Callaway, and, tomorrow afternoon, you should open a golf school with free membership.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I understand but as Jeffrey points out above, at age 61, you may have a lifespan of 30 years or more to plan for (even if you retire within 4 to 5 years). Unless you have a huge sum saved already, you probably want your money to grow over time to account for inflation and rising living costs. My educated guess is that, over the 30-year period, you will do better being more heavily invested in equities (mutual funds or ETF's), as long as you can handle the volatility inherent in a more aggressive portfolio. Admittedly, this is no 100% guarantee and you should be flexible, depending on what happens in the world. But and given ultra low interest rates on most investment-grade fixed income investments, I think stocks are the only game in town.
    Thank you. I appreciate your perspective.
    Bob Green

Field trips.

Seriously, I enjoy reading this thread and learn from it each time I read.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Must. Resist.

Can't, so take my comment with a grain of sea salt; the kind of investing you mention to TW tends to be one of diminishing returns.

This is "your" thread so this is one thread in which you should always be welcome. Plus, I believe I'm able to name one other...