Page 93 of 182 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 3625
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Bezos is buying Bond.
    I am neither shaken nor stirred by this. Bezos will soon own the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Well played, cannot spork.

Bah. The world is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Bah. The world is not enough.
    He had always had that gold...hmmmm, touch? That’s not quite right.

Going back to the ESG convo ---- Exxon is as we speak losing board seats to activist investors trying to get more climate and energy-transition forward members on BoD.

Abbott Labs could be interesting. I sold my holding April 20th at $119, $106 is tempting.

AMC taking that meme ride now. Pretty wild watching all this.

AMC taking that meme ride now. Pretty wild watching all this.
    They are leaning really hard into this and seem to be playing it intelligently. They have used the growth in stock price to clean up their finances, and are now actively courting the retail investors who are making this happen - investors can get a free tub of popcorn if they go to the movies. One would think that at some point this has to end, but it is fun to watch while it lasts. I'm not sure what all of the trained, traditional stock pickers think of all of this - I was out last night with a friend who invests in this sector but didn't get a chance to get his thoughts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/02/amc-...xclusives.html

They are leaning really hard into this and seem to be playing it intelligently. They have used the growth in stock price to clean up their finances, and are now actively courting the retail investors who are making this happen - investors can get a free tub of popcorn if they go to the movies. One would think that at some point this has to end, but it is fun to watch while it lasts. I'm not sure what all of the trained, traditional stock pickers think of all of this - I was out last night with a friend who invests in this sector but didn't get a chance to get his thoughts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/02/amc-...xclusives.html
    That's actually a brilliant play on AMC's part. Get enough retail investors and now when given the choice of going to Regal, AMC or Cinemark, they'll be much more inclined to go to AMC for the free shareholder perks AND because it will help their stock.

I'm surprised that more retailers haven't done this yet.

I almost can’t believe this. $1 trillion lost in forgotten 401ks?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/b292...more-than.html.

I did have an ex-roommate that never followed up on getting his security deposit. I contacted him multiple times but he really didn’t like me and just left $500 on the table.

Back to Cryptocurrency

Breaking in the WaPo, "Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said, 'The DOJ has found and recaptured the majority of the ransom' in the wake of last month's attack [on the Colonial Pipeline]."

So, what does this mean for the security and anonymity of cryptocurrency? If the feds can do it today, how much longer before the average scam artist or other person with mal intent can do the same? Is this the death of blockchain?

I really don't have the knowledge to know the answer, but I'd be interested if those that did could explain.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Breaking in the WaPo, "Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said, 'The DOJ has found and recaptured the majority of the ransom' in the wake of last month's attack [on the Colonial Pipeline]."

So, what does this mean for the security and anonymity of cryptocurrency? If the feds can do it today, how much longer before the average scam artist or other person with mal intent can do the same? Is this the death of blockchain?

I really don't have the knowledge to know the answer, but I'd be interested if those that did could explain.

Section 15
    Well you're not the only one with that thought. Bitcoin falls 8% on the news...

It does seem like the feds obtained the private key/password of the hacker's Bitcoin wallet after getting the proper approval. Of course, those that with nefarious intent wouldn't wait for approval. But the hacker's wallet was not "hacked" apparently. I'm not clear on the methods they used to obtain the key.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 06-08-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post

Section 15
    Im a crypto newbie but my understanding is that the anonymity can be cracked with detective work on patterns of transactions. No one can directly de-anonymize the owner of a crypto coin but at some point the owner sells or spends or deposits some coins to an account and there will be person or entity associated with that account. Add in law enforcement subpoena power and voila, secrets are revealed.

Alternatively an ip address gets associated with a transaction and then that ip is associated with a person or organization.

Also tracing the public transaction patterns can reveal that the person in control of account A is also in control of accounts X, Y and Z. That means one little slip up with a few coins could end up revealing the owner of a fortune.

As a countermeasure sites have sprung up for the sole purpose of “mixing” coins. So you send $1000 of bitcoins to the site and they mix your coins in with all the other crypto coins from other depositors. Then when you want to make a transaction with say $100 from your account the site sends a random set of coins for the task. That prevents the Feds from being able to learn anything from a particular coin trail. At some point these mixing sites will likely be outlawed or regulated.

Not a great explanation but hope you get the idea. Feds can’t hack the block chain but they can see every movement on it. And when a bit of crypto gets spent or deposited it touches a regular financial account and law enforcement figures it out from there.

At least this is my cursory understanding of why crypto is not really anonymous. And why law enforcement is actually getting more comfortable with its use. Unlike cash - every crypto transaction is publicly available.

I almost can’t believe this. $1 trillion lost in forgotten 401ks?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/b292...more-than.html.
    I had to run the math. About $2900/person. I can see that. You were automatically enrolled in a 401(k) 25 years ago, which pulled out 5% of your paycheck and put it in the S&P. Then you quit your job, moved on, and forgot about the balance.

You didn't *really* lose $2900; you only lost about $600 total; you pay more for groceries every month. But compound interest and the biggest bull run in history helped the balance become something worth investigating.

The Coin Bureau Guy has an interesting new video out today that will help answer many questions about crypto you may have...

Note: Bitcoin itself is not anonymous, never has been, all transactions are stored on the blockchain and searchable since day one.
    Also, Bitcoin was not “hacked” with the recovery of that pipeline scam, somehow the feds got the passwords to the wallet where the Bitcoin was sent before it was converted into a privacy coin that could not be traced.

Another good video from Coin Bureau Guy from yesterday if that first one helped out making more sense out of it all...
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 06-08-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Wheat - I hope you skipped the Bitcoin conference in Miami.

Looks like it is turning out to be a super spreader event.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Feds can’t hack the block chain but they can see every movement on it.
    Any entity that can control 51% of the hash power can take over the Bitcoin block change. The US government (probably China too) could technically muster that kind of computing power to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Any entity that can control 51% of the hash power can take over the Bitcoin block change. The US government (probably China too) could technically muster that kind of computing power to do it.
    True. Bitcoin has majority rule. Perhaps they should add a filibuster option.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Wheat - I hope you skipped the Bitcoin conference in Miami.

Looks like it is turning out to be a super spreader event.
    I’m vaccinated and skipped it...I’m still working everyday so that I can buy more Bitcoin, along with Ethereum, while it’s all fairly low.

It could go lower, I know, but I’m a believer in my 3-5 year plan to buy as much as I can now and hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Here’s a really interesting discussion on the world of Bitcoin mining and why it’s highly unlikely any entity could gain control over the Bitcoin Blockchain.

...about 13:30 in discusses decentralized Bitcoin mining if you don’t have time for the whole 30 minute discussion.
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 06-11-2021 at 09:17 AM.