Page 20 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Hypothetically, if one were perchance considering a modest real estate purchase, financed by an SBLOC (securities backed line of credit) at approximately 50% of the securities’ current (even after this week) value, would that now be a turrrrrible idea? Asking for a friend ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Hypothetically, if one were perchance considering a modest real estate purchase, financed by an SBLOC (securities backed line of credit) at approximately 50% of the securities’ current (even after this week) value, would that now be a turrrrrible idea? Asking for a friend ...

https://www.sec.gov/oiea/investor-al...ins/sbloc.html

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Ended up 100% up, another 20% after market. Before Corinna, they’d been at 3 bucks for years. They’re at 30 now. Crazy.
    The kind off trade that sets you up for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    MSFT in particular is in full meltup mode.
    Peaked 3 days later and is now 16%.

Peaked 3 days later and is now down 16%.
    Posting too early in the morning...

...down, down.

Slowly adding back positions that I trimmed on Monday. Some nearly 20% lower than when I sold them.

The kind off trade that sets you up for the year.
    Just crazy. Up over 40, then back to 20. Normal is 3. Not invested, just a curious bystander.

Given what just happened in the markets, I miss Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser.

Given what just happened in the markets, I miss Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser.
    Yup, we’ve gone from that to Jim Cramer. Ugh.

It is interesting times when you sigh with relief that the Dow only dropped 350 pts.

Yeah, I know the NASDAQ was up. But I'm still rooted in the past.

It is interesting times when you sigh with relief that the Dow only dropped 350 pts.

Yeah, I know the NASDAQ was up. But I'm still rooted in the past.
    The end-of-day must have been wild. It was down 1000 until it was down only 350 at the very end.

The end-of-day must have been wild. It was down 1000 until it was down only 350 at the very end.
    What is amazing is that it recovered those 650 pts in the last 20 minutes of the trading session.

What is amazing is that it recovered those 650 pts in the last 20 minutes of the trading session.
    Must’ve been a [wanker]-ton of “Buy” orders right before the weekend. Insane.

Must’ve been a [wanker]-ton of “Buy” orders right before the weekend. Insane.
    There must be a whole lot more asset managers who have to report monthly closing numbers than I realized.

There must be a whole lot more asset managers who have to report monthly closing numbers than I realized.
    I think it may have been triggered by Powell giving some reassurance.

Powell is, by happenstance, meeting with key folks from the ECB this weekend. So I would not be surprised to see some joint statement released before the markets open in euro-e (and maybe Asia) on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Powell is, by happenstance, meeting with key folks from the ECB this weekend. So I would not be surprised to see some joint statement released before the markets open in euro-e (and maybe Asia) on Monday.
    Powell's re-assurance was early afternoon, and it did spark about a 300-400 point comeback...then the market gave all that back, and had a wild last 5-6 minutes....got back 500 or 600 in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

yes, reassurances are good, this is what he should be doing. However, when I hear about a rate cut, I have to question whether that will really have much of an effect. Rates are already pleasantly low for businesses, and if your business is in the doldrums due to Coronavirus, a rate cut is unlikely to spur you into meaningful capital spending. Just need to push on through.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, reassurances are good, this is what he should be doing. However, when I hear about a rate cut, I have to question whether that will really have much of an effect. Rates are already pleasantly low for businesses, and if your business is in the doldrums due to Coronavirus, a rate cut is unlikely to spur you into meaningful capital spending. Just need to push on through.
    I agree. I don’t see what good rate cuts will do in this situation. (Not to mention that rate cuts really don’t do all that much in a major downturn, like 2008-09.).

Slowly adding back positions that I trimmed on Monday. Some nearly 20% lower than when I sold them.
    That's awesome. Congrats.

Are you holding the extra cash to buy if there's a further drop off?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.