Page 153 of 182 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 3625
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Great, that was going to be the start of my recommendation.

Are you two under 50? I suspect so, and strongly recommend funding a Roth IRA instead of a Traditional. There’s only one logical direction for future tax rates.

To keep it simple, I’d open the Roth IRA at Vanguard and invest all the contributions in Vanguard’s “Total Stock Market Fund”.

Thoughts?
    Just curious, what would your answer be if they were over 50?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Just curious, what would your answer be if they were over 50?
    I would need to ask many more questions before making a recommendation. I would not be certain a Roth IRA is their best choice and 100% equity is their best allocation strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Great, that was going to be the start of my recommendation.

Are you two under 50? I suspect so, and strongly recommend funding a Roth IRA instead of a Traditional. There’s only one logical direction for future tax rates.

To keep it simple, I’d open the Roth IRA at Vanguard and invest all the contributions in Vanguard’s “Total Stock Market Fund”.

Thoughts?
    Thanks - appreciate the advice. And, yes, we are both well under 50. She's been in the non-profit work force for most of her career but prior to this one, the retirement plans were always pretty well-matched and had what I would consider a traditional amount of self-direction and reasonable fees. The flip side, is that she works on a pretty nice semi-farm less than 3 miles from our house so it's a pretty sweet work-life set-up with 2 kids <3.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Thanks - appreciate the advice.
    My pleasure! You’re one of my favorite DBR members, so please ask or PM if I can ever be of any help. My advice is worth every penny you’re paying me… guaranteed!

Job growth numbers crush estimates...Unemployment is at its lowest level since 1969. Stocks crash. Isn't the market funny sometimes? (Yes, I understand why.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Job growth numbers crush estimates...Unemployment is at its lowest level since 1969. Stocks crash. Isn't the market funny sometimes? (Yes, I understand why.)
    Not really crashing; as of 3:00 PM EST, the Dow Jones 30 Industrial is down 230 points or .68% - not a very big down day, given the volatility of the markets over the past 14 months or so. But, yea, "good news" (as in more people being employed) is considered "bad news" by many investors because they worry this robust employment number will encourage the Fed to keep raising interest rates (to cool down the economy and inflation). I'm actually surprised the market is not down more today and I consider it a "bullish" sign for short and intermediate-term stock market performance, if you're a short-term trader.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Not really crashing; as of 3:00 PM EST, the Dow Jones 30 Industrial is down 230 points or .68% - not a very big down day, given the volatility of the markets over the past 14 months or so. But, yea, "good news" (as in more people being employed) is considered "bad news" by many investors because they worry this robust employment number will encourage the Fed to keep raising interest rates (to cool down the economy and inflation). I'm actually surprised the market is not down more today and I consider it a "bullish" sign for short and intermediate-term stock market performance, if you're a short-term trader.
    Eh, I was laid off last week. Sucks big time. However, I'm seeing no shortage of jobs for programmers with my skills. I'll hopefully land something this month.

The tech layoffs are big news, but more alarmist than a cause for concern. Thanks to the FAANG companies massive salaries and hiring sprees a lot of companies out there are starving for nerds like me to go work there. This will help relieve some of that demand and hopefully allow smaller companies to grow, which is what the economy really needs.

I wouldn't worry about the economy until construction, housing and manufacturing start taking hits. I'm actually quite surprised how much housing is holding up right now. Of course, the folks that are in sub 3% loans aren't going to be in the mood to move anywhere and with the rise of the remote worker, not many have to move.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Eh, I was laid off last week. Sucks big time. However, I'm seeing no shortage of jobs for programmers with my skills. I'll hopefully land something this month.

The tech layoffs are big news, but more alarmist than a cause for concern. Thanks to the FAANG companies massive salaries and hiring sprees a lot of companies out there are starving for nerds like me to go work there. This will help relieve some of that demand and hopefully allow smaller companies to grow, which is what the economy really needs.

I wouldn't worry about the economy until construction, housing and manufacturing start taking hits. I'm actually quite surprised how much housing is holding up right now. Of course, the folks that are in sub 3% loans aren't going to be in the mood to move anywhere and with the rise of the remote worker, not many have to move.
    Sorry to hear about your employment situation. Hope you find something else very soon. Around where I live, the real estate market has definitely slowed down; not sure if it is entirely due to rising mortgage rates (although rates have been coming down lately); very high asking prices; or a seasonal slow down. But I'm just amazed when you look at the stock prices of the publicly-traded home builders - Toll Brother, KB Homes, Pulte Home, etc - that are up 40 to 50% in the last two months or so. I'm not sure we're going to see the housing industry take huge hits, IF the unemployment numbers stay this low (3.4 to 3.5%). People need a place to live and will buy, if they have the income to support the necessary mortgage.

People need a place to live and will buy, if they have the income to support the necessary mortgage.
    Many, many people will buy, even if they don’t have the income to support the debt. My wife doesn’t even blink. Neither does our Uncle.

Sorry to hear, glad you have the right attitude. Good vibes your way.

Very sorry to hear your bad news!
    Very pleased you have great knowledge, skills, and abilities! You should enjoy your time off (much easier said, than done), because it’s not going to last long.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sorry to hear, glad you have the right attitude. Good vibes your way.
    Somethings are too good. Last my job of 9 years last summer for a very nice raise. Most of the new people got the axe.

I'll be happy if I can get in the ballpark again.

Somethings are too good. Last my job of 9 years last summer for a very nice raise. Most of the new people got the axe.

This is my story as well. I haven't been zapped yet, just a matter of time though. I'm not a coder/software engineer, product and process which this company is desperately in need of but I can feel the bullseye on my back.

Well, the Dow is not a very good proxy for the market. It's only 30 stocks. VTI and S&P 500 are down more than 1%. Still, I agree that's hardly "crushed" and I definitely overstated. I meant to simply suggest that the market went downward on the news. Agreed with your post.

Probably not telling you anything you don't know, but there are definitely still a lot of non-FAANG (or whatever we're calling it now) opportunities out there, best of luck!

Sometimes the personal investor content engine needs to calm down.

“President Biden warns that the risk of nuclear 'Armageddon' is at its highest point since the Cuban Missile Crisis — 3 top stocks to consider if tensions keep rising“

The Wall Street Nihilist

https://subgameperfect.substack.com/...treet-nihilist

This economist's take on Bernie Madoff and the recent Netflix documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Probably not telling you anything you don't know, but there are definitely still a lot of non-FAANG (or whatever we're calling it now) opportunities out there, best of luck!
    Yep, I'm wearing myself out with interviews. Things are progressing so hopefully one of three interested companies will pop an offer next week.

I'm wondering if I worked as hard at my old job as I am at finding a new one if I wouldn't have been laid off. Something to think about for the next job. Not starving is a motivating factor.

eta: we have never lived paycheck to paycheck, so the "not starving" is really just for humor. I understand there are people who live paycheck to paycheck and would be in that position. Thoughts and prayers to people that are.

Sold a bit into today's meltup. I think we are in a bull market, but tomorrow could be ugly depending upon the CPI numbers. And there are sources suggesting that the numbers will be running hot because of re-weightings of the components.

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/tables/relat...ation-2023.htm

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Sold a bit into today's meltup. I think we are in a bull market, but tomorrow could be ugly depending upon the CPI numbers. And there are sources suggesting that the numbers will be running hot because of re-weightings of the components.

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/tables/relat...ation-2023.htm
    Inflation data was about expected, but I was anticipating a bit more of a negative reaction. I don't think the numbers change anything with regards to the course of interest rates.