Page 104 of 181 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 3602
    Clearly I’ve been doing it wrong. It will be an awkward Christmas when I tell the niece and nephew: Sorry you can’t open these Lego sets because they are going into the back of the closest. You will thank me in twenty years.

Forget About Gold: Study Says Investing in Lego Sets Will Earn You More Money

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Clearly I’ve been doing it wrong. It will be an awkward Christmas when I tell the niece and nephew: Sorry you can’t open these Lego sets because they are going into the back of the closest. You will thank me in twenty years.

Haha, I had someone suggest this to me to always buy two sets, one to gift and the other to save. I'm like, "I don't have that much storage place." But, having a kid who loves LEGO, I do have to say there is an insane shortage right now. Went to target yesterday and the shelves are barren. Luckily, purchased the big one (Millennium Falcon, not the $800 one but rather than $170 or whatever one) a couple months ago because it's nowhere to be found. The secondary market on eBay is insane. I could easily sell it for double. I guess should have bought a few for a quick turnaround in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post

Interesting. A Lego from today should be able to fit with a Lego from 1950, it's part of their design strategy so not sure I see the investment utility but nostalgia is a powerful market driver.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Interesting. A Lego from today should be able to fit with a Lego from 1950, it's part of their design strategy so not sure I see the investment utility but nostalgia is a powerful market driver.
    It's about sets that get discontinued or simply are in a supply/demand imbalance, not the bricks themselves.

Very difficult to scale...

Share buybacks hit all time high in Q3, according to WSJ.

More likely coming.

DRE - Duke Realty closed on 2/18/2021 41.74 when I last mentioned it. Trading today at 62.78 at the close. For a gain of 50.4% not including dividends which would have pushed it up over 52%. The S&P 500 was up 19.3% during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    DRE - Duke Realty closed on 2/18/2021 41.74 when I last mentioned it. Trading today at 62.78 at the close. For a gain of 50.4% not including dividends which would have pushed it up over 52%. The S&P 500 was up 19.3% during that time.
    I’ll just go ahead and say thank you for that tidbit back then. I’ve enjoyed watching it because of you.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I’ll just go ahead and say thank you for that tidbit back then. I’ve enjoyed watching it because of you.
    You are welcome!

I Bond rates at a healthy 7.12%. Very nice, low risk.

The challenge is you can't scale I bonds given the max of $10k/year. I know some people who intentionally overpay their federal tax as I believe you can get your refund in I bonds above the max.

Rate also resets every six months, but yeah, next 6-month period looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The challenge is you can't scale I bonds given the max of $10k/year. I know some people who intentionally overpay their federal tax as I believe you can get your refund in I bonds above the max.

Rate also resets every six months, but yeah, next 6-month period looks good.
    Yeah, certainly not to any serious level but I suppose you could get a few multiples by purchasing for you + any family members you might have, then doing the same thing promptly in January when the calendar year resets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yep, you can purchase up to an additional $5k per year with your federal tax refund. You can also purchase $10k per year for each of your kid’s education, with no tax liability.

yeah, certainly not to any serious level but i suppose you could get a few multiples by purchasing for you + any family members you might have, then doing the same thing promptly in january when the calendar year resets.
    Bingo!

Thanks for the heads up. Bought some today. Tied up for a year, but easily beats the 0.05% I was getting from my savings account.

Thanks for the heads up. Bought some today. Tied up for a year, but easily beats the 0.05% I was getting from my savings account.
    IIRC, you need to hold them for 5 years to avoid an early withdrawal penalty (3 months interest).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IIRC, you need to hold them for 5 years to avoid an early withdrawal penalty (3 months interest).
    Yes, there are two things in play. You cannot redeem at all until 1 year. If you have to redeem in the first five years, you pay a penalty of 3 months interest. A couple assumptions, say the interest rate for the second 6 months drops down to 3%. At one year, you will have earned $506 in interest. Even if you have to forfeit 3 months of interest, $75 in this case, you are ahead $431 given the average savings account is paying 0.05%. I don’t expect to need to use the money at all and can hold the 5 years, but even a worst case scenario leaves me $100s of dollars ahead(pre-tax).

*Yes, math is not as compelling versus online savings accounts of 0.55%, but still hundreds ahead.

*Yes, math is not as compelling versus online savings accounts of 0.55%, but still hundreds ahead.
    My current cash play is combining signup bonuses with savings accounts. I’ve never worked so hard to make 1-2% in my lifetime.

Yes, there are two things in play. You cannot redeem at all until 1 year. If you have to redeem in the first five years, you pay a penalty of 3 months interest. A couple assumptions, say the interest rate for the second 6 months drops down to 3%. At one year, you will have earned $506 in interest. Even if you have to forfeit 3 months of interest, $75 in this case, you are ahead $431 given the average savings account is paying 0.05%. I don’t expect to need to use the money at all and can hold the 5 years, but even a worst case scenario leaves me $100s of dollars ahead(pre-tax).

Just so I'm reading this correctly (i.e. stupid question time). If I have say $20000 in a savings account that I don't expect to need in the next year (or the next several years, really), I can move it into an I-Bond and make 7.12%. The only drawback I see is that it's unavailable for a year but I don't see that as an issue since the money is just in a regular savings account anyway. And like YmoBeThere posted, after that year if I have to pay a 3 month penalty I'm still ahead.

Outside of 'there are better ways use that money' this seems like a good safe place to store that kind of money and get a decent interest rate. Is there anything else I should worry about with this?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Just so I'm reading this correctly (i.e. stupid question time). If I have say $20000 in a savings account that I don't expect to need in the next year (or the next several years, really), I can move it into an I-Bond and make 7.12%. The only drawback I see is that it's unavailable for a year but I don't see that as an issue since the money is just in a regular savings account anyway. And like YmoBeThere posted, after that year if I have to pay a 3 month penalty I'm still ahead.

Outside of 'there are better ways use that money' this seems like a good safe place to store that kind of money and get a decent interest rate. Is there anything else I should worry about with this?
    There are a couple of financial experts here but my understanding is that you would need to split that $20K into two $10K investments for different people (say, you and a SO or child) --- OR, you could purchase another one for yourself when the period resets in January.

The I-Bond is fixed + a variable interest rate that adjusts based on inflation (which is why it is so high right now) and gets recalculated semi-annually. SO, that 7.12% is locked until the next recalculation period in Spring.

It is safe, you can't lose the principle and its fully backed by the US government.