Page 87 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 3602
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Tomorrow's the IPO. Nasdaq set the reference price at $250. It's a wazzie, it's a woozie...

Nasdaq gave Coinbase a reference price of $250 a share on Wednesday ahead of its planned direct listing, which would value the cryptocurrency exchange at about $65.3 billion on a fully diluted basis.

Coinbase is set to become the first major crypto business to go public in the U.S. and, should it reach a $100 billion market cap, will instantly be one of the country’s 85 most valuable companies. The company’s value has soared in the past year alongside bitcoin and ethereum, the primary currencies traded on the site.
    Fun ride today. At least from the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I’d be interested. I currently am in mostly Ethereum as well. Also holding some Bitcoin and Litecoin too.
    Sorry for the delay, I’ve been traveling.

I chose ethereum for the majority of the portfolio because it looked like the best crypto infrastructure company with plenty of room left to grow,(over Cardano and polkadot, which I considered). I was really sold on the upgrade coming this summer. It was trading strong, even with public limitations of the platform, and there’s a lot of smart people working on the scalability issue. If that upgrade is successful, and all info points that it will be, I felt like I was getting in early. So far, so good.

I buy into the narrative that Bitcoin is digital gold. I think people will decide it will have great value in the future and it will continue to get stronger.

I like the idea of ethereum’s decentralized “smart contracts”. I see lots of smart contract use with lots of companies in the future. Chainlink is building oracles to provide up to date info to to those contracts that need timely info to execute. Their info is decentralized and theoretically more secure. Nobody wants info coming from a centralized source due to hacking concerns. I see a need for that and they are the leader, it looks like, for providing that secure solution. So far, so good.

Kyber networks let’s people trade all these different alt coins. They seemed to fill a need. So far so good.

Compound is a platform for decentralized crypto lending. Again, seems like it fits a need. So far, so good.

REN allows private trading of value between any blockchain. I liked that idea, but maybe the governments won’t? Could be that’s why it’s been flat to negative for me...

I’ve been watching the coinbase direct sale and look at it as one more step for this crypto sector to become more mainstream. It amazes me how many people I talk to still have no idea about anything crypto, and how many don’t care. I was there a short 6 months ago, so I get it.

Despite the rising prices, it still looks to be early in this market to me. I’m still adding as I can afford, especially ethereum.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I’ve been traveling.

I chose ethereum for the majority of the portfolio because it looked like the best crypto infrastructure company with plenty of room left to grow,(over Cardano and polkadot, which I considered). I was really sold on the upgrade coming this summer. It was trading strong, even with public limitations of the platform, and there’s a lot of smart people working on the scalability issue. If that upgrade is successful, and all info points that it will be, I felt like I was getting in early. So far, so good.

I buy into the narrative that Bitcoin is digital gold. I think people will decide it will have great value in the future and it will continue to get stronger.

I like the idea of ethereum’s decentralized “smart contracts”. I see lots of smart contract use with lots of companies in the future. Chainlink is building oracles to provide up to date info to to those contracts that need timely info to execute. Their info is decentralized and theoretically more secure. Nobody wants info coming from a centralized source due to hacking concerns. I see a need for that and they are the leader, it looks like, for providing that secure solution. So far, so good.

Kyber networks let’s people trade all these different alt coins. They seemed to fill a need. So far so good.

Compound is a platform for decentralized crypto lending. Again, seems like it fits a need. So far, so good.

REN allows private trading of value between any blockchain. I liked that idea, but maybe the governments won’t? Could be that’s why it’s been flat to negative for me...

I’ve been watching the coinbase direct sale and look at it as one more step for this crypto sector to become more mainstream. It amazes me how many people I talk to still have no idea about anything crypto, and how many don’t care. I was there a short 6 months ago, so I get it.

Despite the rising prices, it still looks to be early in this market to me. I’m still adding as I can afford, especially ethereum.
    I'm not a dumb guy, and I invest, but I wish I understand the slightest bit of what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'm not a dumb guy, and I invest, but I wish I understand the slightest bit of what you're talking about.
    I promise you, I have no exceptional understanding of it all. Just enough o feel like I understand the basics of where things want to go.
    YouTube and lots of reading google searches will get you there, at least enough to understand the sausage, if not how it’s made.

we'd be remiss in not saying Sayonara to Mr. Bernie Madoff...the account by Diana Henriques, The Wizard of Lies, is an amazing read...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we'd be remiss in not saying Sayonara to Mr. Bernie Madoff...the account by Diana Henriques, The Wizard of Lies, is an amazing read...
    That he was considered a wizard by so many wealthy, ostensibly scrutinizing people at all is what amazes me. But, hey, Elizabeth Holmes...

Take home: Don't trust anyone, ever!

That he was considered a wizard by so many wealthy, ostensibly scrutinizing people at all is what amazes me. But, hey, Elizabeth Holmes...

Take home: Don't trust anyone, ever!
    His technique was masterful (and deplorable). He refused to take money from a lot of people, had them literally begging to "invest." Fear of missing out...

One of the more amazing parts of the tale was the work of Harry Markopolos, who was on to Madoff for years, but couldn't get anyone to really take him seriously (his personal style was a bit odd, but his analysis was solid).
    Harry was waving his warms and shouting "FRAUD" for years, no one wanted to listen.

His technique was masterful (and deplorable). He refused to take money from a lot of people, had them literally begging to "invest." Fear of missing out...

One of the more amazing parts of the tale was the work of Harry Markopolos, who was on to Madoff for years, but couldn't get anyone to really take him seriously (his personal style was a bit odd, but his analysis was solid).
    Harry was waving his warms and shouting "FRAUD" for years, no one wanted to listen.
    Yep, create the illusion of access and knowledge. Old trick. Only I can do x, y and z but you have to pay the big boy price.

Among the more amazing things about the fraud is that Irving Picard has clawed back over $14 billion of "profits" that Bernie had paid out to early investors...$17 billion was lost in the fraud, or $65 billion if you count the fictional paper profits...

Bitcoin tumbles after Turkey bans crypto payments citing risks

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitco...soc_src=aolapp

This is the potential risk with any of the cryptos. If enough countries do similarly, it will be real problem for them.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitco...soc_src=aolapp

This is the potential risk with any of the cryptos. If enough countries do similarly, it will be real problem for them.
    You never put the lampshade on your head at the party, do you?

You never put the lampshade on your head at the party, do you?
    On a few occasions, but not lately. Yes, I'm the crypto Gail Dudack.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    On a few occasions, but not lately. Yes, I'm the crypto Gail Dudack.
    I don’t know who that is. I did google her. Debbie Dudack Downer?

I don’t know who that is. I did google her. Debbie Dudack Downer?

She got booted from Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser's elves because she was too negative on the market in late 1999. It obviously crashed in 2000.

Pretty good correction in the crypto world the past 24 hours. It’s a volatile market for sure.

I’m looking at it as a buying the dip opportunity, especially with ethereum for me, but I also bought a little more Bitcoin.

The Coin Bureau Guy has a new video out today on Ethereum that is very informative if you’re curious and not up to speed on what Ethereum is and the surrounding issues.

I’d recommend watching it all the way through and grab a notebook to write down every term you don’t have a clear understanding of, like EIP 1559, Layer2, Stablecoin, gas, optimism..etc. There will be a lot new terms, but google is your friend. At least in this situation.

After your google searches and you get some explanations, then watch the video again. That really helped me get a better understanding of it all.

Fun note: I got my first Bitcoin payment from a client this past week. We were chatting about crypto while fishing and found out he had bought 10 Bitcoin at $1000 each back in the day, now worth around $600,000. I told him I’d accept Bitcoin if he wanted to pay that way. He laughed and said he hadn’t even set up a wallet. He’d just bought in at $10,000 and held on. He went home and set up a coinbase wallet where he has bitcoin stored, and sent it to me from direct to my trust wallet. Took about 3 minutes and was easy.

It’s a new world in currencies, and my accountant is going to hate me.

Tax time will be fun.

-jk

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...on-in-two-days

If you're interested in how to lose $20 billion in two days, this BusinessWeek article will give you some tips...the key is having lots and lots and lots of leverage...quite a read...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Tax time will be fun.

-jk
    He’s close enough to the Caymans and has a boat. Just sayin’.

If you're interested in how to lose $20 billion in two days, this BusinessWeek article will give you some tips...the key is having lots and lots and lots of leverage...quite a read...
    I tried the leverage thing in late 1999 when I bought a lot of tech stock. Not going down that road again.

Same story, different character. Interesting fellow. Suppose divinely inspired stock picks are as good as other picks.