Page 92 of 181 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 3602
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I'm very far from an expert but my thoughts: crypto isn't stable enough to be commonly used as a regular currency to be used for purchases and sales. Better to think of crypto as being in somewhere in between investing in a stock and investing in beanie babies, fine art or baseball card collections. Crypto is like baseball cards in that it has no intrinsic value, but it's like a stock in that it is has an agreed upon value at any point in time and so is easily purchased, sold and traded online. Like a baseball card or fine art most of cryptocurrency's value comes from society (or more accurately, a segment of society) agreeing on a value, and part of the driver of that value is perceived scarcity. Because unlike fiat currency (dollar bills for example) there is a firm limit on how much bitcoin will be made.

(Above is a layperson's elementary understanding of something he recently got into. It's value is as tangible as a Dogecoin!)

PS - A crypto purchase doesn't have protections like a credit card purchase does. And it doesn't have gov't insurance protections even if stored in crypto exchange. Coinbase (the new publicly traded exchange) claims to have private insurance for crypto deposits. But it's not that simple. Bottom line - there is definite risk in the crypto world, with estimates of that risk varying widely. And possible rewards. Ask the new crypto millionaires! Especially the ones who can find their passwords!
    I think it’s inevitable that the current monetary system breaks down, or at least gets competition, in place of something global and decentralized — at least for a portion of the population that is heavily wired in and willing to transact without the protection of their government.

The fundamental tension of the next 100 years is going to be between the portion of the population that wants to think and act and transact globally and digitally, and doesn’t much care for national boundaries, and the current government structures trying desperately to keep up.

That’s probably why I’d classify crypto as a speculative investment versus pure speculation.

Here’s a good article explains the difference between proof of work and proof of stake.

It’s relevant to the energy consumption debate of crypto assets.

BTW... I feel like we’re dominating this investment thread with crypto discussion. Maybe the Mods want to move all this into one crypto catch all thread?
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 05-15-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Here’s a good article explains the difference between proof of work and proof of stake.

It’s relevant to the energy consumption debate of crypto assets.

BTW... I feel like we’re dominating this investment thread with crypto discussion. Maybe the Mods want to move all this into one crypto catch all thread?
    I'd visit that thread every day

As an AT&T holder I like this:AT&T to bow out of media through $43 bln deal with Discovery It gets the debt down to troubling levels vs scary levels. Has any company been involved in more merges, acquisitions and spin-offs as Warner Brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    As an AT&T holder I like this:AT&T to bow out of media through $43 bln deal with Discovery It gets the debt down to troubling levels vs scary levels. Has any company been involved in more merges, acquisitions and spin-offs as Warner Brothers?
    Warner Brothers and AT&T just seem to love big transactions, don't they?...AT&T can't seem to make enough bad ones, they keeping making more and more...though they won't likely surpass the suicidal DirecTV debacle. I think I'm skeptical of anything they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    You'll also be getting a healthy dividend cut.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    You'll also be getting a healthy dividend cut.
    I've had the stock long enough that even if it went to zero (the stock not dividend) I would be ahead. Hopefully that never happens and hopefully the spinoff appreciates.

Bitcoin down to 38k after trading as high as 63k in early April.

Down more than that.

Narratively, the mainstream financial news sources are beginning to tie the markets and cryptoverse together, which is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Down more than that.

Narratively, the mainstream financial news sources are beginning to tie the markets and cryptoverse together, which is interesting.
    This crypto market is volatile, no question. You really have to study it and believe in what you buy into, then just hang on for the ride.

It’s the speculating day traders that are getting crushed. Some kids, (and adults), are learning some valuable financial life lessons this past week.

We’ll get to look back on this thread in 3 years to see if my buy and hold plan of infrastructure crypto assets works.

I’ve bought all I would be comfortable losing the past few months and this correction now has me back at about even. I’m forcing myself to stay disciplined and not buy any more on this dip, because it looks like a great time to buy.

Hodling.

Steady as she goes...in the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    This crypto market is volatile, no question. You really have to study it and believe in what you buy into, then just hang on for the ride.

It’s the speculating day traders that are getting crushed. Some kids, (and adults), are learning some valuable financial life lessons this past week.

We’ll get to look back on this thread in 3 years to see if my buy and hold plan of infrastructure crypto assets works.

I’ve bought all I would be comfortable losing the past few months and this correction now has me back at about even. I’m forcing myself to stay disciplined and not buy any more on this dip, because it looks like a great time to buy.

Hodling.

Steady as she goes...in the storm.
    No paper hands here!

Bought my first bitcoin last Tuesday. Price dropped 9k within 2 hours. I have a knack.

Bought my first bitcoin last Tuesday. Price dropped 9k within 2 hours. I have a knack.
    There was a genuinely crazy drop yesterday. Been some recovery since but 50% plunge with some of the cryptos within an hour.

I missed on my chance to buy Applied Materials at 118.

Your love is like a roller coaster baby...

Tough weekend in the cryptoverse.

Realize some don’t like this crossing into the investment thread but it sure is a lot more interesting than my monthly 401k and after tax auto invest into a basket of etfs and reits. 😂

Tough weekend in the cryptoverse.

Realize some don’t like this crossing into the investment thread but it sure is a lot more interesting than my monthly 401k and after tax auto invest into a basket of etfs and reits. 😂
    I'd say that this is fine in the Investment thread. Been reading it since it started. Have learned a few things and don't mind learning something new...

Well it certainly doesn't have the same consequences as crossing the proton beam streams.

Ok, so I wasn’t very successful at staying disciplined...
    When Eth dipped below $2000 I couldn’t stand it and bought some more.
    I didn’t go crazy but after giving it some thought it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

Bezos is buying Bond.