Page 19 of 182 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    a lot of guys will charge you 1%; I'd go with a suitable index fund for a tiny fraction of that, that's just me.
    The funds available to me mostly have expense ratios ranging from .23 to .93 (except for the Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund at .07 and Vanguard Real Estate Index Fund at .12). My weighted average based on my investments is ~.39, my question is should I try to get that lower or is that a pretty reasonable expense ratio for a 401k plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The funds available to me mostly have expense ratios ranging from .23 to .93 (except for the Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Fund at .07 and Vanguard Real Estate Index Fund at .12). My weighted average based on my investments is ~.39, my question is should I try to get that lower or is that a pretty reasonable expense ratio for a 401k plan?
    I’ve periodically shared the “what’s in my portfolio” here.

Currently comparing IVV against a Fidelity S&P tracking fund (FXAIX I think, without looking it up).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This goes to the question of what you are trying to optimize, risk/return(asset allocation) or the expense ratio? In my opinion you should be doing the former with the latter as a secondary consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This goes to the question of what you are trying to optimize, risk/return(asset allocation) or the expense ratio? In my opinion you should be doing the former with the latter as a secondary consideration.
    True.
    I kind of like Large Cap or S&P 500 Index Funds, because the cynical side of me thinks that by and large corporations get much of what they want from Congress (e.g. tax cuts, marvelous deductions, on and on) and I'd like to share in their success.
    And an expense ratio of 0.02% (per my former employer, bless their hearts).

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    Converting the old 401k to a Roth would certainly generate a tax bill. I was mentioning the backdoor Roth as a possibility since the OP did not seem to currently have any IRA assets. No worries!
    Thanks!

You might want to add more detail and clarity in future investment posts. I’m probably not the only one who misinterpreted your original post. Clearly, you could add value to this thread.

​The meltup continues!

​The meltup continues!
    Yeah, color me a little surprised that coronavirus fears haven't caused a sell-off. It's tough to get a read on exactly what is happening but a lot of the business press is suggesting economic dealings in China, and in particular supplier bases, are being cut-off.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yeah, color me a little surprised that coronavirus fears haven't caused a sell-off. It's tough to get a read on exactly what is happening but a lot of the business press is suggesting economic dealings in China, and in particular supplier bases, are being cut-off.
    Despite a bit of a hop today, world oil prices are having a tough time of it as Chinese consumption takes a significant dip.

MSFT in particular is in full meltup mode.

I always get a kick out of stock charts like the below (APT)...they make shows like Billions possible.

1857941-1580616559959684.jpg

I always get a kick out of stock charts like the below (APT)...they make shows like Billions possible.

1857941-1580616559959684.jpg
    I used to sell material to those guys back in the day. (90s)

Looks like it is going to get ugly out there.

I think the operative question now is will stocks go up or down when 100 cases of the virus are reported in Timbuktu? And the follow up to that is will it matter in the timeframe you are operating in?

Interesting, not a word...

I’m just lurking, waiting for the experts to tell me when to panic ...
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Check out the company of that stock you used to sell to (APT). They've been on quite a wild ride the last few months.

Anyone using wealthfront, or betterment?
    Titan Investments, which positions itself as a robo investment strategy hedge fund?

Check out the company of that stock you used to sell to (APT). They've been on quite a wild ride the last few months.
    Showing up 50% in the pre-market

Showing up 50% in the pre-market
    Ended up 100% up, another 20% after market. Before Corinna, they’d been at 3 bucks for years. They’re at 30 now. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I’m just lurking, waiting for the experts to tell me when to panic ...
    I panicked in December of 2018.