Durham/Triangle Recommendations

I'll be visiting Durham for reunion weekend (4/13-14). It's my parents' reunion weekend and happens to coincide with when my wife will be speaking at UNC (I know, I know, but they are paying her). My own reunion weekend is in a couple years, which means the wife, toddler, and I will have free time to do our own thing. The weather looks great a week out. I haven't been to Durham since 2017. Any recommendations for things to do/see in Durham or the Triangle are appreciated. We know about the campus and events taking place on campus. I want to explore a little more of Durham and the Triangle. Thanks for any advice you have to share!

Strangely, I'll be in Durham this week as well, Tuesday through Thursday meeting with my sister. I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If your toddler is old enough to enjoy it, the Museum of Life & Science is a can't miss experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If your toddler is old enough to enjoy it, the Museum of Life & Science is a can't miss experience.
    He had a great time at the American Museum of Natural History here in NYC. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Agreed! Though elementary school is really the target.

Marbles in downtown Raleigh is awesome as well with much less waking

The new park in downtown cary is a sight to behold, might be good for a toddler, but origami target to slightly older.

I wouldn't want to miss the old well at UNC. Be sure to leave a dirty diaper to show your appreciation.
    Last edited by PackMan97; 04-07-2024 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

The new park in disgust carry is a sight to behold, might be good for a toddler, but origami target to slightly older.

I wouldn't want to miss the old well at UNC. Be sure to leave a dirty diaper to show your appreciation.
    Now here's an idea

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

The new park in downtown cary is a sight to behold, might be good for a toddler, but origami target to slightly older.

Totally agree on Marbles. I took my then almost two year old there about ten years ago and it was really good. I have been to several similar places in other cities and it is one of the better ones. It has been ten years so it might have changed. It is similar to (but better than) the Children's Museum in Manhattan (a few blocks from AMNH) - I live a few blocks from the Children's Museum (and AMNH) and spent countless hours there when my kids were younger (pre-covid). These types of places are generally more interactive than somewhere like AMNH, which is what my kids preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'll be visiting Durham for reunion weekend (4/13-14). It's my parents' reunion weekend and happens to coincide with when my wife will be speaking at UNC (I know, I know, but they are paying her). My own reunion weekend is in a couple years, which means the wife, toddler, and I will have free time to do our own thing. The weather looks great a week out. I haven't been to Durham since 2017. Any recommendations for things to do/see in Durham or the Triangle are appreciated. We know about the campus and events taking place on campus. I want to explore a little more of Durham and the Triangle. Thanks for any advice you have to share!
    Sarah Duke gardens is a great place for small children (or bigger ones) to run around, and it should be "in flower" during your visit.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If you’re responsible for grocery shopping in your household, the Wegman’s in Chapel Hill will blow your mind. 😎

The Museum of Life & Science is definitely popular with toddler parents, so if it's more convenient for you than Marbles, I think you'll find it a good way to wear everyone out. And yes, Duke Gardens is popping right now, still lots of tulips, and the azaleas are looking good. You could hit American Tobacco Campus. There's a crepe place near there, Press, that's newish and good, or you can get sandwiches/breakfast at Parker & Otis. Walking around downtown is always fun, too - lots of new restaurants around since you were last here. We like to get takeout and eat in CCB plaza (close to the Parlour for ice cream after) or the plaza at five points. Happy to make other recs if you let me know what kind of things you like to do.

Golden Belt is probably new to you. The trifecta of Hi-Wire, Cugino Forno, and Two Roosters, combined with the outdoor space, is great on a nice day.

Having just been in Durham - highly recommend M Sushi and Saltbox Seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If you’re responsible for grocery shopping in your household, the Wegman’s in Chapel Hill will blow your mind. 😎
    It’s very nice, but just too many choices and options. I do better with a more limited selection. 🤷

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Having just been in Durham - highly recommend M Sushi and Saltbox Seafood.
    2 great choices. I would add JuJu.

Just want to pop in here again to offer my thanks for all the recommendations! We are definitely planning on going to the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. I was amazed at the transformation of downtown Durham when I visited in 2017 and think I'll try to return this weekend. The American Tobacco Campus sounds like a good stop, too. I'll share updates in case any of you are interested.