Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Premier League ’23-’24 (real and fantasy)

EPL kicks off this Saturday Aug 12 at 7:30 EST with duke74's and my Gunners taking on Nottingham Forest. In a slight twist, Arsenal sold #2 and USMNT keeper Matt Turner to Forest today. Hate to see a quality backup leave but it's good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    EPL kicks off this Saturday Aug 12 at 7:30 EST with duke74's and my Gunners taking on Nottingham Forest. In a slight twist, Arsenal sold #2 and USMNT keeper Matt Turner to Forest today. Hate to see a quality backup leave but it's good for him.
    Burnley-Man City kick off Friday afternoon at 3 east coast time.

Glad to see Matt go to a team where he will get minutes.

(It seems to me that a new season should be a new thread, and frankly I just wanted to see if I could do it without deleting both posts!)

I am really looking forward to Luton Town’s fight to establish themselves and stay up. That may be the most fun race. Unless Man City’s spending finally gets them in hot enough water to impact the race at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Thanks for the correction.

I’m trying a new approach this season. Maybe if I don’t talk about them I can will them out of existence. Top four is going to be a battle this year.

Also our collective trip to Luton has been delayed. Surprising to no one, the upgrades to Kenilworth Road have not been completed. Y’all remember the old Durham Bulls ball park. Think that trying to host the Braves.

I forget which pundit it was that said Everton could be in line for a top-half finish, but I don’t see that happening. They’ve kept the two players they had to keep (Pickford and Onana), but they haven’t done enough to bolster the attack.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    I forget which pundit it was that said Everton could be in line for a top-half finish, but I don’t see that happening. They’ve kept the two players they had to keep (Pickford and Onana), but they haven’t done enough to bolster the attack.
    I'll be happy if we aren't part of the relegation fight at the end. The last few years have been wearing . Top half and competitive for a European spots is a pipe dream at this point

It's going to be tough to follow the Foxes this year in the Championship (leave it to the English to arrive at an organization where the second-tier league is called "Championship"). I'm not sure how I'm going to decide who to root for in the Premier League, aside from ABMU.

I am a City fan, but I'd honestly prefer to watch the Japan-Sweden women's game. Unfortunately, that one starts at 3:30.

AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    It's going to be tough to follow the Foxes this year in the Championship (leave it to the English to arrive at an organization where the second-tier league is called "Championship"). I'm not sure how I'm going to decide who to root for in the Premier League, aside from ABMU.
    ESPN+ shows several Championship matches every week.

4:30am PT kickoff for Arsenal vs. Forest

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    4:30am PT kickoff for Arsenal vs. Forest
    I’m an early, early riser but have found it harder to wake up to watch TV compared to going to work or the gym.

This may be behind a pay wall. If not, it is a playful exercise to ID a team that fits your interests: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/interactive/2023/premier-league-2023-2024-quiz/

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    This may be behind a pay wall. If not, it is a playful exercise to ID a team that fits your interests: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...023-2024-quiz/
    Thanks.

IMG_1023.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    This may be behind a pay wall. If not, it is a playful exercise to ID a team that fits your interests: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...023-2024-quiz/
    Ha! I have no current rooting interest in the Premier League, but as my kids are getting into it I want to find a team to support. I tried this WaPo tool this AM and got Crystal Palace, but not sure how I feel about that. I'm still a fan free agent trying to find a home. Who is the "Duke Basketball" equivalent in the Premier League? I started following Duke hoops in the mid/late 80s when they were the scrappy underdog who could not quite get over the hump, and over the last 3 decades have become the standard in the sport. Is there an English football equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Ha! I have no current rooting interest in the Premier League, but as my kids are getting into it I want to find a team to support. I tried this WaPo tool this AM and got Crystal Palace, but not sure how I feel about that. I'm still a fan free agent trying to find a home. Who is the "Duke Basketball" equivalent in the Premier League? I started following Duke hoops in the mid/late 80s when they were the scrappy underdog who could not quite get over the hump, and over the last 3 decades have become the standard in the sport. Is there an English football equivalent?
    Brighton.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Well City was a never-ran that'd become world beaters on the back...nay the wallet of a petrostate. Everyone that's not a fan hates them too. Or Chelsea, who's former Russian oligarch owner perfected the model City uses. It's owned by a hedge fund now. Or get in on the ground floor with New Castle, a once proud club on a run of mediocrity that another petrostate is trying to turn around.

More direct comparisons Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal in that order. To avoid heartbreak stay away from probable regulation bound Wolves, Luton Town and I hate to say Everton. And Spurs too.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 08-09-2023 at 07:27 PM.

Well City was a never-ran that'd become world beaters on the back...nay the wallet of a petrostate. Everyone that's not a fan hates them too. Or Chelsea, who's former Russian oligarch owner perfected the model City uses. It's owned by a hedge fund now. Or get in on the ground floor with New Castle, a once proud club on a run of mediocrity that another petrostate is trying to turn around.

More direct comparisons Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal in that order. To avoid heartbreak stay away from probable regulation bound Wolves, Luton Town and I hate to say Everton. And Spurs too.
    Spurs are the Gonzaga of EPL football (sorry to fans of the Lilywhites)

Spurs are the Gonzaga of EPL football (sorry to fans of the Lilywhites)

(Language warning)

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID

Hey, we are aiming to make it three straight dances with the devil... but maintain that streak in the top flight