Page 119 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 3602
    Is it all legal eagles and investment gurus that are into acid-fueled rock bands or just the ones on DBR?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Is it all legal eagles and investment gurus that are into acid-fueled rock bands or just the ones on DBR?
    “We are everywhere.” But we are not everyone. Some got on the bus, some missed the bus.

wait - there was a bus?

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    wait - there was a bus?
    I read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. There was definitely a bus. Ken Kesey was something else. So. Much. Acid.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    wait - there was a bus?
    There was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of the bus to never ever land.

All that I am asking for is ten gold dollars,
    And I could pay you back with one good hand.

I am placing the ten gold dollars on NU. Thoughts?

I read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. There was definitely a bus. Ken Kesey was something else. So. Much. Acid.
    nearly as much as Duke in the sixties I would be guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    nearly as much as Duke in the sixties I would be guessing.
    Makes sense. Wall Street recruits heavily from a Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    All that I am asking for is ten gold dollars,
    And I could pay you back with one good hand.

I am placing the ten gold dollars on NU. Thoughts?
    The US based fintechs aren’t bad enough?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    The US based fintechs aren’t bad enough?
    True, plenty of brutality in the domestic fintech market. NU’s growth rates, markets, and pricing opportunities got my attention. Plus, the rare opportunity to pay 60% less than Berkshire did just 6 months ago.

The largest change from 6 months ago is the current discount rate being applied to future cash flows. IMO, the Fed came late to the party, will most likely overcompensate, and then have to backtrack.

I-bonds looking pretty good.

I think they are a nice option but given the cap on how much you can put into them, you are basically getting a few hundred extra dollars of return. Which is obviously better than a sharp stick in the eye but it would be a lot more appealing if you could put more into it (plus didn't have to spend the time setting it up, managing it separately from other accounts, etc.).

I-bonds do look great right now, but I agree with CnC: given their limits (and the fact that if the Fed is successful, inflation should start declining soon), is it reallly better than an S&P idx fund over any reasonable length of time?

NPR ran a story earlier this month on someone who has been bullish on I-bonds since their inception. Some relevant quotes (my bolded):

WONG: Zvi Bodie is a professor emeritus at Boston University. He's a financial economist who has been obsessed with inflation hedging strategy since the 1970s. And he sees I bonds as a government program that serves the public interest. Basically, the U.S. Treasury is covering the cost of inflation for regular folks. So the U.S. Treasury introduced I bonds in 1998. And that year, Zvi goes to a bank to buy the maximum amount of I bonds for him, his wife and their two daughters...

No. 1, I bonds protect you from inflation. They don't beat inflation. And No. 2, you're not going to get rich quick off I bonds. There's this $10,000 cap or calendar year, and the earliest you can redeem an I bond is one year. But for Zvi, it's been worth it. He estimates he has more than half a million dollars of I bonds in his portfolio today.

So if Bodie put in the max $10k every year he could (not sure he has)...and only for himself (story seems to imply he invests for his wife and kids, too)...then his principle over the past 24 years is $240k. If he is sitting on more than $500k, then that's not an amazing roi over 24 years (somewhere b/w 3-4%, and possibly less if he's adding in his wife and kids' accounts, too)

In short, this is my reaction when I think about going into I-bonds for just a year or two:

https://youtu.be/07ul6FkLbAE?t=170

(The story is unclear how much Bodie puts in every year, so I could be very wrong on his roi...but he's probably sleeping well at night right now!)

Money supply growth and impact on stock prices. Far right values normalized to 2/26/2021.

20220523_065208.jpg

Bought my $10k worth on Friday. Am I understanding correctly that if I create an account for my wife I can buy another $10k this year?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Bought my $10k worth on Friday. Am I understanding correctly that if I create an account for my wife I can buy another $10k this year?
    That is my understanding. I'm fairly certain it is tied to SSN.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That is my understanding. I'm fairly certain it is tied to SSN.
    Right. You can also buy $10k more if you have a trust (I haven't done that though...).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    True, plenty of brutality in the domestic fintech market. NU’s growth rates, markets, and pricing opportunities got my attention. Plus, the rare opportunity to pay 60% less than Berkshire did just 6 months ago.

The largest change from 6 months ago is the current discount rate being applied to future cash flows. IMO, the Fed came late to the party, will most likely overcompensate, and then have to backtrack.
    Nu's getting a lot of air time in multiple DBR threads...

Sigma Nu?

It’s probably time for us to discuss something Nu?