Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Wave Music

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I personally preferred the German version which, I believe, was Falco's original version.

I definitely prefer these dancers.

Am I the only one who thinks that Trump Jr. should go as Falco this Halloween?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    For me it was “Da da da” by Trio
    You almost made me break my "don't flame people" rule. That instantly brought up some nightmarish days in the one and only painting class I took in art school; my teacher loved playing that song. Might be the reason it was my one and only painting class.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You almost made me break my "don't flame people" rule. That instantly brought up some nightmarish days in the one and only painting class I took in art school; my teacher loved playing that song. Might be the reason it was my one and only painting class.
    I had a similar repititious Kafka-esque aversion to Tainted Love by Soft Cell.

And you obviously had too much talent for a painting class, you should be teaching one if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I had a similar repititious Kafka-esque aversion to Tainted Love by Soft Cell.

And you obviously had too much talent for a painting class, you should be teaching one if anything.
    Loved that cover (Gloria Jones). So 80s. And way better than Marilyn Manson’s version.

All have our own likes/dislikes

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Loved that cover (Gloria Jones). So 80s. And way better than Marilyn Manson’s version.

All have our own likes/dislikes
    I was so happy when it turned up in Bioshock Infinite (the original). I’ve always wanted to cover that song. I think it has great bones; you just need to decide what kind of meat you cover them with. What a weird metaphor... Whatever, ha ha.

Grew up as New Wave-loving, sort-of goth kid, so I loved many of these bands for different reasons. One might be great to listen to, one could be fun to dance to, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doria View Post
    I was so happy when it turned up in Bioshock Infinite (the original). I’ve always wanted to cover that song. I think it has great bones; you just need to decide what kind of meat you cover them with. What a weird metaphor... Whatever, ha ha.

Grew up as New Wave-loving, sort-of goth kid, so I loved many of these bands for different reasons. One might be great to listen to, one could be fun to dance to, etc.
    We would have been friends! I meam, I like to think we are, but...

Anyone mention Wall Of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio"? Used to love that one. And the "Turning Japanese" Vapor's song, Der Kommissar by AFter The Fire, and anything by REM. Most of Duran Duran's stuff.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    At least half of those people (including the top three), my answer after the reveal was still "who's that?"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That was neat.

I also like watching the video series title, "Kids React to". It a video series where they have this group of kids watch/listen to music/videos from certain bands, genres, or time periods of music.
    They've also got a similar series with old people doing the same thing.

David Byrne

http://davidbyrne.com/

"We’ll be doing some new songs… and many others that will, I assume, be familiar. I’m excited. This is the most ambitious show I’ve done since the shows that were filmed for ‘Stop Making Sense,’ so fingers crossed."
    David Byrne
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

"We’ll be doing some new songs… and many others that will, I assume, be familiar. I’m excited. This is the most ambitious show I’ve done since the shows that were filmed for ‘Stop Making Sense,’ so fingers crossed."
    David Byrne
    I’m in! Should be great shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post

David Byrne
    Thanks for the info, but I hope he adds some shows. He's not coming near me. I've seen him 3 times, he always does something interesting.

got my tickets...EXPENSIVE....but worth it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Anyone mention Wall Of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio"? Used to love that one. And the "Turning Japanese" Vapor's song, Der Kommissar by AFter The Fire, and anything by REM. Most of Duran Duran's stuff.
    I saw Wall of Voodoo in concert. Good times. I also saw REM in 1986, right before they released "Life's Rich Pageant."

Another great band I saw back then was the Hoodoo Gurus. I loved their album called "Mars Needs Guitars."
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I saw Wall of Voodoo in concert. Good times. I also saw REM in 1986, right before they released "Life's Rich Pageant."

Another great band I saw back then was the Hoodoo Gurus. I loved their album called "Mars Needs Guitars."
    I remember hearing the radio ads for REM playing at Cameron. "REM with 10,000 Maniacs". I had never heard of 10k M, I assumed they were talking about the crowd.

I remember hearing the radio ads for REM playing at Cameron. "REM with 10,000 Maniacs". I had never heard of 10k M, I assumed they were talking about the crowd.
    Ah, those were the days...

Yep. 10,000 Maniacs was the opening band when I saw then on that tour. I had never heard of them, either, but they putt on a pretty good show.

Yeah, I was at that concert in Cameron. I'm a HUGE REM fan, but fell in love with Natalie Merchant's voice that night and have probably seen more 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant concerts than any other performer.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    got my tickets...EXPENSIVE...but worth it...
    Got tickets for Charlotte. Not a bad price. Didn’t burn the house down so my wife didn’t go flippy floppy even if she thought this was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc