View Poll Results: Where Will Zion Williamson Announce for on Jan. 20?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kentucky

26 34.21%
  • Clemson

41 53.95%
  • South Carolina

1 1.32%
  • Kansas

0 0%
  • Duke

8 10.53%
  • the Cheats

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zion Williamson Announces January 20 - Where will he Play?

Nobody seems to have much clue in this recruitment, which I think is how Zion wanted it. He's announcing January 20. Where do you think he lands?

No clue, but I think this soon announcement date is not good for Duke. We're at 0% on CB, and usually the Duke insiders are more optimistic than that if we have a chance. I think it's Kentucky, and I think the Drake influence was huge. Hope I'm wrong! But there is an even worse option. And lots of good options.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I think it's Kentucky, and I think the Drake influence was huge. Hope I'm wrong! But there is an even worse option. And lots of good options.
    Seems like if he favored Kentucky he'd want to wait and see how many of their current players declare for the draft. But maybe he has a good enough idea who's leaving, or maybe he doesn't care because he's confident he'd get enough playing time regardless. Agree that our chances our slim, which I'm totally ok with. Let Bolden and Javin have a chance to shine, give us some upperclassmen on the floor, and play a really fast up-tempo style. I think it'd be cool if he chose Clemson.

Not intended to be rumor mongering, but all the Clemson people I know feel confident it’s the Tigers. Would love to see him in the ACC.

He heard Carter is coming back to continue his education and decided to move on. Clemson, I hope.

Go Tigers. After last year I esp dislike Gamcocks...

I guess Clemson .thats what some upstate friends are saying.but I have hopes😁

Going to UNC would make a lot of sense. It would give him three or four years in college to work on his YouTube highlight videos.

Now, if he wants to get to the NBA within a normal timeline, that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Going to UNC would make a lot of sense. It would give him three or four years in college to work on his YouTube highlight videos.

Now, if he wants to get to the NBA within a normal timeline, that's another story.
    Did he decide to announce via Skype on the 20th?

It seems fairly obvious that Williamson is not going to Duke, which is fine. What is particularly interesting here is that there doesn't appear to be a downside landing spot for Duke fans.

Say he goes to Clemson. Hooray! The local kid stays in state. That's a good story, like Michael Porter, Jr. but without the shady business of hiring his dad as an assistant coach. It's good for the sport and good for the ACC.

He can't go to UNC because they don't have the space for him on their roster (unless Cameron Johnson decides to leave after playing a half season and a year of eligibility remaining). And even if Williamson picks UNC, he would sort of wreck their lineup. What's Roy going to do, start Williamson and Maye in the frontcourt? Or does he start Williamson over Nassir Little? UNCs transfer streak either ends this summer or next. This is all a moot point as UNC doesn't have the room on their roster.

If he goes to Kentucky, then it'll be the same old Kentucky: Lots of talent but questionable fit (and poor perimeter shooting). UK is already going to have an overload of point guards with Immanuel Quickley joining Quade Green and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (neither of whom appear anywhere on NBA draft lists). And then UK will have two new shooting guards to replace Hamidou Diallo in Keldon Johnson and Tyler Herro. That doesn't even include 4-star shooting guard Jemarl Baker. There's an obvious hole for UK at small forward when Kevin Knox declares for the draft. But Williamson either plays the small forward while the six guards compete for 2 spots or UK puts Williamson at the 4 where he would take up PT from several of their returning frontcourt players: whoever returns from among Wenyen Gabriel, Sacha Killeya-Jones, Nick Richards, Jarred Vanderbilt, and P.J. Washington. FWIW, Richards and Vanderbilt might have enough buzz to declare for the draft after the season. If that happens, UK's questionable frontcourt is even more depleted with few options in the Class of 2018 to replace their losses. Zion Williamson isn't going to be able to space the floor enough on offense to make all these pieces fit together. He'd have to be an exceptionally talented interior defender and rebounder to compensate. That seems unlikely for a undersized power forward. The fit seems questionable at best.

Go Clemson!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    He can't go to UNC because they don't have the space for him on their roster (unless Cameron Johnson decides to leave after playing a half season and a year of eligibility remaining). And even if Williamson picks UNC, he would sort of wreck their lineup. What's Roy going to do, start Williamson and Maye in the frontcourt? Or does he start Williamson over Nassir Little? UNCs transfer streak either ends this summer or next. This is all a moot point as UNC doesn't have the room on their roster.
    Well, gosh golly and dadgum it. I guess there's just NOTHING they could possibly do to make room for him, huh? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Well, gosh golly and dadgum it. I guess there's just NOTHING they could possibly do to make room for him, huh? Please.
    They can take his tests, and turn in his term papers !

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    I mean, it would be hilarious if they did make room for him. UNC fans have been smugly commenting about the number of transfers that have left Duke in recent years while their program hasn't had one in 6 seasons (and I believe they are the only Division I program that hasn't had at least one during this time). And Duke has never "shown a player the door" to make room for a stud recruit. To do that... would be very typical Carolina, now wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I mean, it would be hilarious if they did make room for him. UNC fans have been smugly commenting about the number of transfers that have left Duke in recent years while their program hasn't had one in 6 seasons (and I believe they are the only Division I program that hasn't had at least one during this time). And Duke has never "shown a player the door" to make room for a stud recruit. To do that... would be very typical Carolina, now wouldn't it?
    The hilarity of UNC making room for him is outweighed by UNC getting him. And they would find a way to smugly explain it as some sort of acceptable and exceptional circumstance. To me, that's a worst case scenario.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The hilarity of UNC making room for him is outweighed by UNC getting him. And they would find a way to smugly explain it as some sort of acceptable and exceptional circumstance. To me, that's a worst case scenario.
    I think it'll be Clemson and that's great. They are doing very well without him this year. I'd figured Brownell was gone after he couldn't get over the hump even though Blossomgame came back.

That said my guess is if Williamson picked UNC the likely roster moves are (i) Maye gives up his scholarship (his folks have the money and improper but maybe some side deal), (ii) Woods transfers (they have Johnson, Williams, Felton, White, Platek and Black to play the 1 and 2, albeit perhaps shy at pg, but Woods isn't a real pg anyway), or (iii) Johnson goes early, but I don't think he's a draft pick. Or maybe Huffman leaves.

Total guesswork of course. And I doubt he's going UNC.

UNC doesn't recruit one and done's, they have too much academic integrity

Solid, safe burn.

Almost certainly Clemson, it appears. Good choice for him. He'll be showcased from Day 1 and can play in front of his family. Wish him success and looking forward to watching him play his one year of college basketball.

too much = ZERO

It's just weird to see a recruiting battle between Clemson and Kentucky. Good luck Tigers! We're rooting for you.

Today Evan Daniels, Jerry Meyer, and others put in votes on 247 CB for Zion Williamson to Clemson.

Clemson has been even with Kentucky on there at 41% each for a while. That makes it 58% Clemson, 26 % Kentucky on CB with the last 11 picks all going to Clemson.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...ertPredictions

Absolutely huge momentum from the recruiting experts that Zion is going to Clemson. Evan Daniels is money.

After seeing this, I have to change my mind. I have to think Zion to Clemson. (Drake does too much singing and should rap more like he did with Future.)

Zion to Clemson would be great all things considered. Infinitely better than UK or UNCheat.

I'd absolutely love to see him on next year's Duke team - having the top 3 recruits play together with the other studs we will have (whoever that ends up being) would be incredible. It would bring Cameron's house down, and would be a team for the ages.

But I'm cool with Clemson if that is the verdict.