Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-Season NBA Draft Board

I just saw the Bleacher Report 2018 Pre-season click-bait draft board.

Under fair use, and for your reading pleasure, here are the Duke players on the list and their associated blurbs:

25. Grayson Allen (Duke, SG, Senior)

A productive year on the floor and setback-free one off it are keys to Allen's first-round chances. There will be interest in his shot-making and ability to put pressure on defenses with his explosive athleticism. It would certainly reflect favorably on Allen if he showed scouts some leadership as the senior and No. 1 option for a title contender. NBA teams could potentially see him bringing offense and energy off the bench. But given his history, scouts will want to make sure he can be coachable and liked by teammates. (Wankers!!!! His teammates and Coach K love him!)

21. Trevon Duval (Duke, PG, Freshman)

Duval's skills are far behind his physical tools and athleticism, which create upside. He'll have to convince scouts his handle, floor game and shooting are on track to keep improving. Still, for Duke, he'll work as an effective setup man and transition weapon who'll put pressure on defenses by attacking. Maintaining a respectable three-point percentage and assist-to-turnover ratio should be enough for Duval to go first round.

14. Gary Trent Jr. (Duke, SG, Freshman)

There were initially questions about Gary Trent Jr.'s early role with Grayson Allen back and Trevon Duval running the point. But Trent started alongside both (15 points) during Duke's exhibition game against Northwest Missouri. And it seemed pretty obvious he's ready to play a big role for the Blue Devils right away.

A pure scorer, Trent is already dangerous around the perimeter with his three-ball (???? Do they mean his mid-range? LOL) and ability to separate and shoot off the dribble. And he'll find ways to convert off improvisation using unconventional runners around the key.

He'll have to avoid stopping ball movement, taking bad shots and going through prolonged slumps. But Trent will draw NBA interest for his scoring and shot-making, assuming he's consistent and productive enough after one year at Duke. It wouldn't be shocking if Trent stayed for two seasons.

13. Wendell Carter Jr. (Duke, PF/C, Freshman)

Wendell Carter Jr. has played in front of scouts since his USA Basketball debut in 2015, and he'll have a starting role for arguably the nation's top team. The big question early is what his role will entail with bigs Marvin Bagley III and Marques Bolden also in the mix.

Still, Carter's enormous physical tools—6'10", 259 pounds, 7'3" wingspan—won't go unnoticed. He's a good bet to shoot a high percentage and a candidate to lead the team in boards.

He has Al Horford's old-school, non-flashy, fundamentally sound offensive game. (Didn't someone on the boards here compare him to Al Horford?) But will Carter have the opportunity to fully showcase his post moves and jumper, given Duke's plethora of 4s and 5s plus Trevon Duval, Grayson Allen and Gary Trent Jr.?

4. Marvin Bagley III (Duke, PF, Freshman)

Though he's the top athlete among elite prospects, Marvin Bagley III will build his draft case with developing skills that fuel inside-out scoring versatility.

His jumper is still a work in progress, which is the primary reason why three prospects are ranked higher. Still, Bagley is going to give his offense easy baskets off transition, cuts, lobs and putbacks both in college and the pros. And between his budding post game, quickness and ability to handle, attack and convert on the move, he's still a tough one-on-one cover without credible shooting range.

Scouts have raved about his motor. Looking capable enough from outside and showing he can defend the paint and switch around the perimeter ultimately will be key to Bagley maxing out his draft stock.

And for the curious, the top 3 are:

3. Michael Porter Jr. (Missouri, SF/PF, Freshman)
    2. DeAndre Ayton (Arizona, C, Freshman)
    1. Luka Doncic (Slovenia, PG/SG, 1999)

I suppose it's not too hard to understand why Duke is preseason #1 with 5 projected 1st rounders on the team. Of course, the NBA drafts on potential, but hopefully the potential of these five and the bench will show itself this season!

Discuss...
    Last edited by BandAlum83; 11-01-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Be careful how to say "Draft Board" to people of my age.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Be careful how to say "Draft Board" to people of my age.
    Even if it were to happen, Jim, I believe we are both too old to go at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Even if it were to happen, Jim, I believe we are both too old to go at this point.
    I got the letter from President Nixon 45 years ago. Had an uneventful couple of years, largely at Ft. Benning.

I have a recurring dream that I get a second draft notice and, even at my advanced age, I have to serve.

My Draft # was 42 if anyone remembers that system !

I'm pretty shocked that the article itself wasn't an annoying slideshow with 15 ads inserted. Folks at Bleacher Report are slacking.

Okay, I'll try to do my penance and try to get the thread back on track.

With the proviso that this is one person's view of one snapshot of one point in time, I find it most interesting that Trent is ahead of Allen and Duval and almost even with Carter.

He must have put on a show for the NBA scouts in that closed scrimmage.

And yes, Allen is not viewed as a villain in the Duke community. That's such an tired and intellectually lazy argument.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Okay, I'll try to do my penance and try to get the thread back on track.

With the proviso that this is one person's view of one snapshot of one point in time, I find it most interesting that Trent is ahead of Allen and Duval and almost even with Carter.

He must have put on a show for the NBA scouts in that closed scrimmage.

And yes, Allen is not viewed as a villain in the Duke community. That's such an tired and intellectually lazy argument.
    Two Hail Mary's and an Our Father and your penance is complete.

I wonder if he was popping 3s at that pro scout day?

interesting that Bolden is not on that list. Considering his performance from last year, and from 1.5 games this year, i wouldn't put him on a 1st round board either.
    Also interesting that they list Duval as 21, yet Trent is 14, and Trent gets mentioned as possibly needing a 2nd yr at Duke but not Duval. Seems counter-intuitive.
    What if Bolden AND DeLaurier have impressive seasons as reserves/alternate-starters and go 1st round in addition to all these guys?

Where's Javin?

Too soon?

;^)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    What if Bolden AND DeLaurier have impressive seasons as reserves/alternate-starters and go 1st round in addition to all these guys?
    Then Duke will have had a *really* good season.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    interesting that Bolden is not on that list. Considering his performance from last year, and from 1.5 games this year, i wouldn't put him on a 1st round board either.
    Also interesting that they list Duval as 21, yet Trent is 14, and Trent gets mentioned as possibly needing a 2nd yr at Duke but not Duval. Seems counter-intuitive.
    The list goes to #50, so second round also.

My guess is that they are both projected to remain another year. Based on Bolden's size alone, I would think he would project somewhere in the second round. But maybe he would go undrafted and be signed a la MP3?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    The list goes to #50, so second round also.

My guess is that they are both projected to remain another year. Based on Bolden's size alone, I would think he would project somewhere in the second round. But maybe he would go undrafted and be signed a la MP3?
    if Bolden didn't project in the 2nd round after this year, went undrafted and got signed a la MP3 i think that would take place after his Sr. year. I don't see Bolden leaving after this season if it's not via the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Then Duke will have had a *really* good season.
    indubitably

Every year these days it seems like there are "generational" talents. But this draft looks incredibly strong. Doncic is the real deal and certainly so is Porter Jr. I'm less sold on Ayton at this point because I don't see the same perimeter potential as Porter Jr or Bagley III.

Someone grabbing Bagley, the "2nd coming of Anthony Davis," with the 4th pick would be a steal.

Hard to pass on Doncic who looks like Slovenian LeBron.

As for our other guys, clearly Grayson has a huge opportunity to outperform this very conservative projection. If he stays healthy, it's easy to imagine him averaging in the mid 20s this season, while showcasing other playmaking abilities and defense.

Love the stretch goal of Javin and Bolden both getting in 1st round, too. Would that be a record? Probably tied with a past Kentucky team for most 1st round picks in one year.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Marvin's wingspan is NOT short for his height, it's average (7 ft, measured several times...)...and with not especially wide shoulders, there's no way his arms can be deemed short for his height.

One has to be looking for things to criticize to cite his arm length as an issue.
    The context of the discussion was top-5 status in the NBA draft.

Within that context, Marvin's 7'-0" wingspan absolutely is a problem for him among NBA executives, especially if he continues to have a relatively low blocked-shot rate. Big men drafted in that range routinely have wingspans that range from 7'3" to 7'8".

With that said, you are correct that among normal human beings, his arms are not short for his height.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    My Draft # was 42 if anyone remembers that system !
    Mine was 176 ( I think?). They only got to the 40’s in 1972.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The context of the discussion was top-5 status in the NBA draft.

Within that context, Marvin's 7'-0" wingspan absolutely is a problem for him among NBA executives, especially if he continues to have a relatively low blocked-shot rate. Big men drafted in that range routinely have wingspans that range from 7'3" to 7'8".

With that said, you are correct that among normal human beings, his arms are not short for his height.
    Blake Griffin has relatively short arms for his height as well, was drafted high, and has done ok for himself. While their body types are not similar, the way they play, especially young Blake, is very similar. Bagley's second jump (his first isn't too bad either) is elite, even for an NBA player. His motor, coordination and mobility for his size are all great as well. His jumper mechanics look pretty solid, so there is good potential there, as well. He may never be an elite shot blocker, but due to his coordination and speed, he could be a very good defender with time. I think his lack of elite wingspan is overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    Blake Griffin has relatively short arms for his height as well, was drafted high, and has done ok for himself. While their body types are not similar, the way they play, especially young Blake, is very similar. Bagley's second jump (his first isn't too bad either) is elite, even for an NBA player. His motor, coordination and mobility for his size are all great as well. His jumper mechanics look pretty solid, so there is good potential there, as well. He may never be an elite shot blocker, but due to his coordination and speed, he could be a very good defender with time. I think his lack of elite wingspan is overblown.
    Not in a position to search for this info at the moment, but since Marvin's shoulder's are fairly narrow, is his standing reach listed anywhere? For a big man, that is arguably the more pertinent stat than wingspan.

Standing reach

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Not in a position to search for this info at the moment, but since Marvin's shoulder's are fairly narrow, is his standing reach listed anywhere? For a big man, that is arguably the more pertinent stat than wingspan.
    NBADraft.net says 8'9".

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    We won't be drafting anyone with a long neck (right Jerry?), or the Irish!