Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Football Staff changes

Any ideas on if n when we might hear from Coach Cut on staff changes taking place, specifically hoping for a change in the OC.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Any ideas on if n when we might hear from Coach Cut on staff changes taking place, specifically hoping for a change in the OC.
    I think the football coaches convention is Jan 7-10, and that's the time when glasses are clinked, cocktail wieners abound, and coaches play musical chairs. I hope Cut make
    a few important moves...

Is O-line coach the only opening we have at the moment? Recognizing that more may open as new coaches build new staffs and assistants seek other pastures nationally.

I do not expect any change at OC, and thought the calls the last three games (GT, Wake, NIU) was pretty good on balance. Do not know how Daniel’s injuries impacted the play-calling during our swoon although I understand the unhappiness with what appear to be questionable play calling.

We scored 110 points in those last three games, two of which we were Vegas underdogs and one we were only about 5.5 favorites. We won by 23, 8, and 22 respectively while our defense did essentially what they did all year. (gave up 20, 23, and 14 respectively).

All P5 schools can add an assistant coach next year. It will be up to Cut to decide how he wants to juggle his staff for the extra opening.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    All P5 schools can add an assistant coach next year. It will be up to Cut to decide how he wants to juggle his staff for the extra opening.
    Can I vote for a kicking coach?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Is O-line coach the only opening we have at the moment? Recognizing that more may open as new coaches build new staffs and assistants seek other pastures nationally.

I do not expect any change at OC, and thought the calls the last three games (GT, Wake, NIU) was pretty good on balance. Do not know how Daniel’s injuries impacted the play-calling during our swoon although I understand the unhappiness with what appear to be questionable play calling.

We scored 110 points in those last three games, two of which we were Vegas underdogs and one we were only about 5.5 favorites. We won by 23, 8, and 22 respectively while our defense did essentially what they did all year. (gave up 20, 23, and 14 respectively).
    I don't know for sure, but I've heard several places that Cutcliffe took over a lot more playcalling after the Army debacle...can't verify that, but I'm still hopeful we see a new OC.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I've heard several places that Cutcliffe took over a lot more playcalling after the Army debacle...can't verify that, but I'm still hopeful we see a new OC.
    Someone (with supposed/alleged "insider" info) posted that here. Prior to that, our younger son-in-law (former FB manager) said Cut never called plays. Never. Something may/must have changed. And, if true, rightfully so.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Someone (with supposed/alleged "insider" info) posted that here. Prior to that, our younger son-in-law (former FB manager) said Cut never called plays. Never. Something may/must have changed. And, if true, rightfully so.
    I’ve heard these too. But not holding my breath.

We shall see. Jim Knowles and the folks on that side of the line did great this year. As I have said before, Ben Albert is a game-changer pick-up. We need the WR, O-line, and especially special teams to up their game. As best I can tell, we drop FSU but pick up @Clemson. Northwestern and Baylor both on the road, not home. So a fairly comparable schedule to this year, probably a bit tougher.

I’ve heard these too. But not holding my breath.

We shall see. Jim Knowles and the folks on that side of the line did great this year. As I have said before, Ben Albert is a game-changer pick-up. We need the WR, O-line, and especially special teams to up their game. As best I can tell, we drop FSU but pick up @Clemson. Northwestern and Baylor both on the road, not home. So a fairly comparable schedule to this year, probably a bit tougher.
    See ya in Evanston?

Daughter OPK will still be taking prospective college visits, correct, or am I off a bit?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

See ya in Evanston?

Daughter OPK will still be taking prospective college visits, correct, or am I off a bit?
    DaughterPK will be in college, in the library, not worried about sports or boys.

Don’t tell me otherwise, let me have my mental peace. She did enjoy Detroit and Canada.

As far as road trips, @Clemson may happen for me. Death Valley is a fun venue and friendly fans in my limited experience. As long as you’re not wearing a Gamecocks shirt of course.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    DaughterPK will be in college, in the library, not worried about sports or boys.
    If she were in Chapel Hill, you would have nothing to worry about.

To stay on topic, I vote for Cut being more hands on in play calling if the last three games will be the results. I hope we hold onto Knowles for a long time; I am sure he will get looks from folks needing to fill an HC position at some point.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

See ya in Evanston?

we've done the Evanston trip several times, and it's very enjoyable. Wildcats are most hospitable, don't have to worry about drunken ignoramus crowds as one might (and did)
    find at UCONN for example. I still chuckle when I see how irrelevant UCONN's (men's) hoop and football teams have become ever since BC blocked their path to the ACC.
    May they stink forever, and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If she were in Chapel Hill, you would have nothing to worry about.

To stay on topic, I vote for Cut being more hands on in play calling if the last three games will be the results. I hope we hold onto Knowles for a long time; I am sure he will get looks from folks needing to fill an HC position at some point.
    I believe Cut can be more hands on with play calling but that might require a change in the OC.

I'm more concerned about holding onto Ben Albert. Since his arrival, the Duke D has excelled. Hope Cut can keep Ben happy, and find a clone for the offensive line.

We need to enjoy the next few years Coach Cut 5-7 more years IMO.

He has built a solid ACC program that is competitive and runs a tight ship...do not see very many tight ship programs in today’s college football.

Kurt Roper apparently going to the University of Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Kurt Roper apparently going to the University of Colorado.
    Head coach for Buffs is MacIntyre who was also on the Duke staff in the past...very solid coach.

Head coach for Buffs is MacIntyre who was also on the Duke staff in the past...very solid coach.
    MacIntyre had a great year, last year. The Buffs won 10 games and generated a lot of excitement. I went to a few Buffs games for the 1st time in 5 years.

He lost some great defensive players and the Buffs were mediocre this year. (Many of us long suffering Buffs fans view mediocrity as a victory)

For reasons I don't understand, MacIntyre has turned sour and is at odds with the administration. He apparently was hoping to get the Ole Miss opening but was not offered. He (or maybe the administration) need an attitude adjustment. Boulder is not an easy place to coach. It is difficult to get junior college players. It is not necessarily an easy adjustment for black players. I love Boulder but it can be a bit elitist.

I think MacIntyre has done a good job but next year is important. Roper will have a talented, but inconsistent, junior quarterback to coach next year. There are also two talented young quarterback who have the potential to be really good.

I think Roper is an excellent hire and wish him well.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I love Boulder but it can be a bit elitist.
    You have a knack for understatement.

From a handful of first-hand stories from his time at Duke, Coach Mac is a good dude, but winning at CU is tough. That division title last year should give him some leeway for a few years.

Former Duke safety Matt Daniels is also on the staff at CU. If you need a Pac-12 team to root for, I recommend the Buffs.

Per Arowe tweet:

Kirk Benedict elevated from grad assistant to Assistant Coach/Special Teams & Defense.
    Gerald Parker transtions from Football Operations Assistant to working with wide receivers.

Jim Knowles picks up additional title of Assistant Head Coach
    Derek Jones, in addition to continuing with cornerbacks, assumes additional duties as Assistant Head Coach (Defense).

Jim Bridges taking over O-line (which he did in bowl game after Johnson left for MSU).

Jeffrey Faris moves from WR coach to TE coach and adds title of recruiting coordinator (Offense)
    Matt Guerrieri adds Recruiting Coordinator (Defense) to his continued work with safeties.

No idea what all this means. Did not see an announced change in offensive coordinator.

Per Arowe tweet:

Kirk Benedict elevated from grad assistant to Assistant Coach/Special Teams & Defense.
    Gerald Parker transtions from Football Operations Assistant to working with wide receivers.

Jim Knowles picks up additional title of Assistant Head Coach
    Derek Jones, in addition to continuing with cornerbacks, assumes additional duties as Assistant Head Coach (Defense).

Jim Bridges taking over O-line (which he did in bowl game after Johnson left for MSU).

Jeffrey Faris moves from WR coach to TE coach and adds title of recruiting coordinator (Offense)
    Matt Guerrieri adds Recruiting Coordinator (Defense) to his continued work with safeties.

No idea what all this means. Did not see an announced change in offensive coordinator.

What this means is what we've grown to expect from Cut. A great man, fiercely loyal. He has again promoted from within, while making some lateral changes. Unless we get a snow storm in South Carolina, I don't expect any further changes. 2018 will see 1 Roper as a D1 OC.
    Last edited by PDDuke85; 01-05-2018 at 05:53 PM.