Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marvin Bagley's Inconsistency

Or more properly Marvin's lack of inconsistency. (Did the title suck you in?)

One of the most surprising things about the play of the freshmen this year for me has been that Marvin is consistently putting up big numbers. I was expecting him, and the other freshmen, to have hot and cold days as they learned how to play at the college level. Marvin for the most part has adjusted quickly and just keeps cranking out double doubles.

Keep it up Marvin.

Misleading,questionable,and mildly insulting title.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Misleading,questionable,and mildly insulting title.
    And yet, sarcastic and within the tone of many posters on this board.

We are blessed to watch Bagley. I am inclined to enjoy the ride.

We have played 14 games, but a Bagley has only managed 11 double-doubles. They’re not going to retire #35 at that paltry pace.

Step it up, son.

(MB3 is sooooooo much fun to watch!)

You definitely got me with that title...

Bagley, and Carter, are both so fundamentally sound with the ball in their hands. We just aren't seeing the poor shooting or high turnover games that you always get with freshman bigs. We've never had a ride like this one as Duke fans. Let's enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    We have played 14 games, but a Bagley has only managed 11 double-doubles. They’re not going to retire #35 at that paltry pace.

Step it up, son.

Here's a combinatoric question - if you get a triple double, does that mean you got three double-doubles? if so, can the number of double-doubles exceed games played?

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Here's a combinatoric question - if you get a triple double, does that mean you got three double-doubles? if so, can the number of double-doubles exceed games played?
    I think the way a triple double works is, if he gets a single and a homer in the same game too he is said to have “hit for the cycle.” Gonna defer to the rules freaks on that one though.

I think the way a triple double works is, if he gets a single and a homer in the same game too he is said to have “hit for the cycle.” Gonna defer to the rules freaks on that one though.
    Hit for"cycle" is single, double triple,and home run in same game.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    The better question is, if you lap a double double (ie: > 20 points and > 20 rebounds)...does that count as TWO double doubles?
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    The better question is, if you lap a double double (ie: > 20 points and > 20 rebounds)...does that count as TWO double doubles?
    A friend of mine asked me - does 32 points, 11 offensive rebounds, and 10 defensive rebounds count as a triple double?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just wait 'til he finds consistency in the only area he's lacking. Free Throws.
    He'll be having 40 point games with regularity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I saw a news story refer to someone else who is a third this way - and I liked it for Bagley -

Marvin Three Sticks. Maybe we alter it to Marvin Tre Sticks - or even more appropriate - Marvin Pogo Sticks.

Step it up, son.

I'd place a large wager on #35 being in the rafters before the end of the year.

I've never had so much fun watching "inconsistency" in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Selover View Post
    And I would happily take that bet. I'll also have some of whatever you are smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    And I would happily take that bet. I'll also have some of whatever you are smoking.
    Admiral Akbar would like a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Admiral Akbar would like a word with you.
    Too soon . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    It is definitely going up since it belongs to Ferry on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    It is definitely going up since it belongs to Ferry on loan.
    Can't "go up" if it's already up. But okay, fine, the wording of the original post makes sense now . . .
    Last edited by kAzE; 12-31-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Hit for"cycle" is single, double triple,and home run in same game.

That’s what I said. A single, triple double, and a homer. AFAIK, the only place to get a double triple is Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    A friend of mine asked me - does 32 points, 11 offensive rebounds, and 10 defensive rebounds count as a triple double?
    Not only is that hilarious, think how ridiculous that actually is. That. Just. Happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Selover View Post
    I like to think that Mark Alarie’s number is retired, it’s just that they put Laettner’s name on it too.

26C501AD-6724-4D09-B260-937BD6001DB8.jpg

(I still have a copy of that S.I. somewhere, speaking of “too soon”)