Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not mentioned is FSU has had a long break as well and then have to travel to Durham. Both teams will probably have a little rust to start this one. Would like to see Duvall get going offensively after he drops a handful of assists first of course.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Not mentioned is FSU has had a long break as well and then have to travel to Durham. Both teams will probably have a little rust to start this one. Would like to see Duvall get going offensively after he drops a handful of assists first of course.
    Not to sound alarmist but we really need to win this one, esp. with such a young team. I think we win.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I posted this in another thread but thought it bears repeating:

12/5/2016 we beat Tennessee State by only 10, a game in which we led by 4 at the half and by 3 with 12 minutes left in the game.
    12/21/2016 we beat Elon by only 10 (the Grayson tripping game). They were up 1 at the half and we led by only 4 with 16 minutes left.
    12/30/2015 we trailed Long Beach State for most of the first half, before entering halftime up by 6
    12/29/2014 we led Toledo by only 4 at the half

These post-holiday break games are always a grind. It was encouraging that we shot so well against Evansville after the exam break, but the difference is that during that break the team continued to practice every day. I’m expecting a close game but if we play to our strengths we should be able to pull it out.
    Do you have a source for that, UC? It seems unlikely that we would be able to practice every day during exams. With that said, we did get a couple of extra practices in post-exams because we played Evansville on the Wednesday after exams instead of on the Monday after exams, and Monday was how we did it in two of the past three years. (In the third year, we played on a Tuesday, which was a blowout win. Just getting in an extra practice or two helps, it seems.)

As for this current holiday break, according to Coach K, the team was back in Durham on the 26th with no practice that day. And they would've had the 27th, 28th, and 29th to practice before playing FSU. I think they'll be ready.

One more thing. As far as I know, Duke has never played either a post-exam game or a post-Christmas game while 0-1 in the ACC until this season. I expect Duke to play with its hair on fire again against FSU; I think we will be extremely motivated to lift ourselves of last place in the ACC.

I'll be interested in seeing if dialing up the ball pressure (which might be a permanent defensive adjustment post-BC) will be disruptive and turnover-producing against a good ACC team in FSU. It certainly was disruptive and turnover-producing against Evansville, and I believe it will be again today. In our fake-money DBR gambling contest, I took Duke to cover. We'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping that Grayson has a solid-very good game today against FSU. In his 4 games against the Seminoles, he's shooting 33%(11/33)overall and 20%(3/15)from three, averaging 7.8ppg. The per game average reflects limited minutes against the 'Noles as a freshman(11 min)and the second game against FSU last year with his ankle injury(16 min). I'm hoping he can hit for 16-22(+)points today. Let's go, Duke!

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Live tempo-based stats for Duke/FSU, starters posted...

https://www.scacchoops.com/fsu-at-du...stats-12302017

Trevon Duval

A couple of things bother me about his game. He is not communicating at all out there. This i feel will be our undoing in March, not his shooting.
    I feel he should be wreaking havoc on defense. He's not.
    I feel like he should be penetrating at will. He's not.

He is nowhere close to the player i thought we were getting. Not hating just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rickshawboycall911 View Post
    A couple of things bother me about his game. He is not communicating at all out there. This i feel will be our undoing in March, not his shooting.

He is nowhere close to the player i thought we were getting. Not hating just saying.
    Good thing he is only 1/3rd of the way through his freshman campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Good thing he is only 1/3rd of the way through his freshman campaign.
    Ok, but the same thing can be said for Collin Sexton and Trae Young???

I am frustrated with our incredibly flawed and trashy defense.

FSU is a solid team but no one on their roster should have 22+ points in one half. Duke has to figure out a way to stop allowing an opposing player to have a career game against them.

And Duke's free throws...

Fooled me. What would you say if you decide to hate on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeffrey View Post
    FSU is a solid team but no one on their roster should have 22+ points in one half. Duke has to figure out a way to stop allowing an opposing player to have a career game against them.

And Duke's free throws...
    It helps when you bank in two three point shots.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I am frustrated with our incredibly flawed and trashy defense.
    I just don't know what you ask the, to do. FSU made two banked in threes, at least one from nba range, and a couple more that were heavily contested. Of the ones they made, only 2 or 3 were actually open shots in rhythm from a reasonable distance. Our D probably deserved to give up high 30's to low 40's at most. Not great by any means, but I wouldn't want them changing what they do because FSU is banking stuff it. Make them repeat those shots again.

Ok, but the same thing can be said for Collin Sexton and Trae Young???
    What was the story with them and Duke again?

Sure there were 2 banked threes but there's really no reason to make excuses for this defense. The defense is very bad and it's a very big problem.

I dont know why we are still playing pressure man to man
    This team was made for zone or straight up m2m

Hopefully the bank is closed for FSU in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    Sure there were 2 banked threes but there's really no reason to make excuses for this defense. The defense is very bad and it's a very big problem.
    I completely agree. One play that really sticks out in mind happened with about 4:40 left in the half. Carter was playing defense on an FSU big (maybe Walker) and Trent went running after them down by the baseline. He stood there while the ball got passed to the top of the key and then kicked out to a wide open Cofer who hit the three. I am not blaming Trent but this is just one example of poorly executed defense on Duke's part. They just don't seem to know what to do and maybe it is because they are freshman. FSU is in this game for a variety of reasons including Duke's struggles on defense.

Glad I didn't post my halftime thoughts as we look much better now. Let's finish them off! Some bench points! Go Alex!