Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018-19 Schedule

Duke will be playing UK in the Champion's Classic next season. There's now word that the game may come on the opening day of the season which will be November 6, 2018.

That's starting with a bang.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Duke will be playing UK in the Champion's Classic next season. There's now word that the game may come on the opening day of the season which will be November 6, 2018.

Thanks for the link. The article talks about avoiding conflicts with football and drawing a lot of attention, but Nov. 6, 2018 is election day, which given that it will be the midterm election in a very heated political environment will be a huge conflict.

Duke out-recruiting Kentucky in the 2017 class perhaps hurts UK this season, but they may get payback in the Champions Classic if a bunch of these freshmen return to become sophomores. They'll perhaps be more prepared for the first game of the season than Duke will with our latest batch of freshmen. Although it'll still be fun as Calipari has to face off against the guy that I'm sure haunts his dreams in RJ Barrett. (Just as I'm sure Coach K dreams of Vassilis Spanoulis and Sofoklis Schortsanitis every now and then).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks for the link. The article talks about avoiding conflicts with football and drawing a lot of attention, but Nov. 6, 2018 is election day, which given that it will be the midterm election in a very heated political environment will be a huge conflict.
    most people don't care about midterms.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Some don't care about midterms or finals.

Midterm elections are important but it only takes 15 or so minutes to vote. I don't see election day being a conflict.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Midterm elections are important but it only takes 15 or so minutes to vote. I don't see election day being a conflict.
    i agree that they're important and that it shouldn't conflict. Even if it did, midterms have very low turnout relative to full terms <?> and i'm guessing even fewer will be thinking much about election day national coverage.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    When I was a kid, they did not sell beer on Election Day. So yeah, the conflict is real.

(Not sure if that is still the law there or not)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I wasn't really referring to the time spent voting. I think a lot of people will be watching the news to see what happens. Last fall, the NFL attributed part of the reason for its large decline in ratings to people following the election. Many think this midterm will serve as a referendum on the highly controversial Trump administration (I am fairly sure that is a non-partisan comment). The entire House is up for re-election, as well as 1/3 of the Senate and there will definitely be some very heated contests. People will be very eager to see the outcome, so many casual viewers will likely choose that over basketball, or at least will have it up on their second screen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When I was a kid, they did not sell beer on Election Day. So yeah, the conflict is real.

I remember quite well that you couldnt get a drink until 8pm. So OPK - you have me by a few years ! Your a Wise Veteran my friend !

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I remember quite well that you couldnt get a drink until 8pm. So OPK - you have me by a few years ! Your a Wise Veteran my friend !
    Add to the list of things I first learned on DBR. Never heard of this. Sounds un-American.

Bars, restaurants, liquor stores were closed until the voting polls closed. Social Clubs (Elks,American Legions, etc) were the only place to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. politics !

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post

Per goduke.com, that is official. 11/6 v. UK in Indy, time TBD.

If we're talking about things that supposedly very few people care about, November college basketball probably rates a lot lower than federal elections, midterms or not. It may be Kentucky, but it sure isn't March.

In the Commonwealth, sure, I think they'll get up for Duke...but most places?

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    If we're talking about things that supposedly very few people care about, November college basketball probably rates a lot lower than federal elections, midterms or not. It may be Kentucky, but it sure isn't March.

In the Commonwealth, sure, I think they'll get up for Duke...but most places?
    I agree with your conclusion. Many commentators and media types don't pay an any attention to college basketball until college football and the NFL are done. It's their loss - I don't care what they watch or when they watch it.

People on this board and other college basketball boards care about every game from day one. Are we in the minority? Probably, don't care.

Go Duke. Beat Kentucky next year the 1st game of the season.

The true basketball fans on DBR will attend the game or watch it on TV. Do we really care if non-fans watch election returns? I don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Beat Kentucky next year the 1st game of the season.
    Depends on which game goes first... Duke-KY or MSU-Kansas. Seeing as Duke and Kentucky are higher profile programs (and Duke is going to be the defending champ), I bet ESPN will save that for the late game timeslot.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    South Carolina only changed the law to allow liquor sales on election day in 2014.

i agree that they're important and that it shouldn't conflict. Even if it did, midterms have very low turnout relative to full terms <?> and i'm guessing even fewer will be thinking much about election day national coverage.
    As I see it, the conflict will come in shrinking the screen to show election results along the bottom or side of the screen. I hate that! Unless it would be televised on ESPN. I can't imagine Tuesday night network coverage of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Depends on which game goes first... Duke-KY or MSU-Kansas. Seeing as Duke and Kentucky are higher profile programs (and Duke is going to be the defending champ), I bet ESPN will save that for the late game timeslot.
    And how many times will we see The Shot replayed much to the chagrin of U.K. Fans! Lol!