Dick Enberg Passes

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...er-dies-age-82

He called a couple of games at Cameron during my undergrad years. I think he was responsible for a t-shirt that read "Duke's Dawsome" when Johnny Dawkins made a tremendous play and Enberg combined Duke and Dawkins in his excited play call (could be wrong about this).

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Died at home in La Jolla at age 82 with his bags packed to fly to Boston to visit family. Retired only in October 2016 as the Padres announcer.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Oh my!

Very sad to hear this news. I think my favorite one of his calls was the ending of the 1999 US Open.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Good article from a couple years ago (says brother taught at NC Central):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p26-story.html

Enberg

If my memory is correct (always doubtful), Enberg, Al McGuire, Billy Packer did the first nationally televised game from Cameron in many years, in 1979 when Marquette played at Duke.

That was the game when Packer walked out to mid court just before the telecast and told us to not to do anything that would embarrass ourselves, our families, or Duke. We all chanted “Billy S***s”.

I liked Enberg a lot. R.I.P. Dick Enberg.

Very sad news. He always seemed like a class act. He managed to balance maintaining dignity and class with demonstrating his clear enthusiasm for a great moment and the joy of sports. I particularly liked him doing tennis.

Always came across as a very nice gentleman. Heaven has a new announcer in the crow's nest.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...er-dies-age-82

He called a couple of games at Cameron during my undergrad years. I think he was responsible for a t-shirt that read "Duke's Dawsome" when Johnny Dawkins made a tremendous play and Enberg combined Duke and Dawkins in his excited play call (could be wrong about this).
    He called a number of big Duke games. I will remember him for his Wimbledons. Enberg was king when Sports did not saturate the airways. The events always seemed a bit more special back then.

R.I.P. Mr. Enberg. One of the best.

The only measure of a great broadcaster that matters: were you in The Naked Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Very sad news. He always seemed like a class act. He managed to balance maintaining dignity and class with demonstrating his clear enthusiasm for a great moment and the joy of sports.
    Yes, a real gentleman as well as a great sportscaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Good article from a couple years ago (says brother taught at NC Central):

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...p26-story.html
    Dick’s nephew Jon Enberg was a lax walk-on for Duke and team captain in ‘02. I knew his father Dennis Enberg from grad school days at uNC and summer jobs at the Wright Brothers Memorial. In spite of his tarheel education, and before his untimely passing, Dennie and Marg were frequent attendees (season ticket holders) at Duke WBB games. The Enberg Brothers were a class act and I will miss them both...

Right Event, Different Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Oh my!

Very sad to hear this news. I think my favorite one of his calls was the ending of the 1999 US Open.

Upon hearing the news my first thought was this classic call at the 2009 US Open. But it was tennis, not golf.

https://youtu.be/pMJ0-1GGf5k

"And for my next act, I'm going to hit a winner from inside a box while they saw me in half".

Praying for the family. He always seemed like a total class act. Except with Dick Elbert, I never felt like it was an act.