Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    Here's a short quote from the Wikipedia entry for Iron Maiden: "Despite little radio or television support,[3] Iron Maiden are considered one of the most successful heavy metal bands in history, with The Sunday Times reporting in 2017 that the band have sold over 100 million copies of their albums worldwide.[4][5] The band won the Ivor Novello Award for international achievement in 2002. As of October 2013, the band have played over 2000 live shows throughout their career. For over 35 years the band have been supported by their famous mascot, "Eddie", who has appeared on almost all of their album and single covers, as well as in their live shows."

Iron Maiden is huge on a world wide basis, less so in the US except for those who appreciate heavy metal/rock music. Just think how many recording acts already in the R&R Hall have ever sold 100 million albums world wide. Read the whole Wikipedia article for a fuller appreciation of Iron Maiden.
    I guess I did miss the whole Iron Maiden Phenomenon. I know plenty of metal heads. Everyone knows who they are but I’ve just never run across anyone who thinks they are an exceptional band until now. But I don’t care who is in the HOF so it will be fine with me if they are inducted.

So after I posted the link concerning the R&R HoF a couple of spots above. I went through the website to see exactly who was a member.

Jackson Browne, James Taylor, and Cat Stevens all represent the male singer/song writers who became a genre unto themselves in the early 70's, but for some strange reason Todd Rundgren doesn't make the cut.

The Animals, The Dave Clark Five, Lovin Spoonful, and The Young Rascals are all in, but Herman's Hermits, Three Dog Night, and The Monkees are not.

And of course as we've see after every sports HoF process the same holds true for Movies, TV, and in this case Music, you have to obligatory snubs article.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/...of-fame-snubs/

it's a popularity contest....for the writers, critics AND public...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    it's a popularity contest...for the writers, critics AND public...
    That's right. Boston Foreigner, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Steve Miller Band, and others are in my HOF despite what the one in Cleveland thinks. Ken Stabler was in my Canton decades ago too. HOF's are fun, but all that matters is what we each experienced and remember fondly. We don't need other humanoids to validate us. Dang I'm grumpy this morning and I like it.

Side note: I was stationed about 40 K's north of Frankfurt in the mid 80's (86 I think - maybe August) and they had one of those Monster of Rock concerts outside in Mannhiem. About 12 bands played. The Scorpions headlined because they had made it HUGE the past year or so and this was their first concert back home after their world tour. One of the early acts was Bon Jovi. At the time their only hit was Little Runaway, so okay boys lets see what you've got. Of course they played Runaway and an impressive version of The Boys are Back in Town, then Jon says, "We are going to release an album soon called Slippery when Wet, and we would like to try it out on you". The band yells - Shot through heart, and you're to blame... and the music explodes. They have the full attention of 300,000 people. I get stateside that winter and tell my friends to some incredulous looks that Bon Jovi is going to be a big deal. It's pretty cool to see something coming before most know. Are they great? I don't know, but that concert was fantastic, and part of the reason was those Jersey boys. What a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    That's right. Boston Foreigner, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Steve Miller Band, and others are in my HOF despite what the one in Cleveland thinks. Ken Stabler was in my Canton decades ago too. HOF's are fun, but all that matters is what we each experienced and remember fondly. We don't need other humanoids to validate us. Dang I'm grumpy this morning and I like it.

Side note: I was stationed about 40 K's north of Frankfurt in the mid 80's (86 I think - maybe August) and they had one of those Monster of Rock concerts outside in Mannhiem. About 12 bands played. The Scorpions headlined because they had made it HUGE the past year or so and this was their first concert back home after their world tour. One of the early acts was Bon Jovi. At the time their only hit was Little Runaway, so okay boys lets see what you've got. Of course they played Runaway and an impressive version of The Boys are Back in Town, then Jon says, "We are going to release an album soon called Slippery when Wet, and we would like to try it out on you". The band yells - Shot through heart, and you're to blame... and the music explodes. They have the full attention of 300,000 people. I get stateside that winter and tell my friends to some incredulous looks that Bon Jovi is going to be a big deal. It's pretty cool to see something coming before most know. Are they great? I don't know, but that concert was fantastic, and part of the reason was those Jersey boys. What a great day.
    It is with great shame that I admit that the only song that I knew was going to be a hit after my first listen was- Honey, by Bobby Goldsboro, in 1968. Well, that and Grandmaw Got Run Over By a Reindeer.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    ... Stevie Ray Vaughn ... and others are in my HOF despite what the one in Cleveland thinks.
    Stevie Ray is in, though it did take way too long. When they have a statue of you in the music capital of the country, that should be a sure sign.

If Boston and Foreigner are not in it's a crock, as for the Steve Miller Band. And, if hit songs are the criteria, then the Monkees should be there. They had a ton of hits, albeit they were lousy musicians, and just a made up band to imitate the Beatles. The bits on their tv show were patterned after scenes in the film Hard Day's Night.