Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Site HR Manager "I want to see some humility from him during the interview process."

“That guy is kind of a jerk anyway. He has a holier than thou attitude that I've always just ignored.”
    Maybe his comment simply indicates ruffled feathers caused by a perception that in the past you have ignored him out of a sense of contempt. Maybe he thinks that’s your general attitude towards others, and that you are generally too big for your britches. (Perhaps you could convince him that you are not contemptuous toward everybody, just him. Just kidding.)

I don’t know how to go about rehabilitating your relationship with him during this interview, especially if you really are contemptuous of him, except to take pains not to show it to hum during the interview. Also, copious quantities of mea culpa and sorrow for not staying long enough in your current job, something that keeps you up at night, may soften him up. You wish there were something you could do to make it up to them. And when the others see no lack of humility from you they may discount his claim.

This is actually a pretty smart move. I think I will. If he feels empowered in my decision to go, it may make him go from feeling betrayed, to feeling like he's helping me advance. Again.

So the gentlemen that are vying to get me back in the door called me Friday evening. They let me know what was discussed in the managers meeting they always have when discussing potential new hires. When my name came up, these were the feelings...

Technology Transfer Global ops Manager: "I think he is extremely smart and results focused. He knows our products inside and out. The only reason he left in the first place was to get more money. He had been promised that opportunity here, but couldn't get a guarantee on when or how much. So he bolted. I would have too. Now he's back, and you're going to have to pay him. He has my vote, and if he gets in the door, I could see him sitting in any of your chairs in 3-4 years."

Quality Manager: "He has my vote. I was disappointed when he left. He was the first person to embrace our statistical process control software and apply it to make improvements. He did it without being asked and taught himself. We have people here now that still don't know how to use it.

Site Manager "I never really got to see his work, he left shortly after I arrived here. I've heard nothing but good things, but I never saw anything personally that wow'd me, but like I said, we weren't exposed to each other very much before he left.

Site HR Manager "I want to see some humility from him during the interview process."

The last one from the HR manager really baffled me. Humility? They came to me. I'm not coming in with my hat in my hand begging for a job to get off the streets. I'm exploring a potential opportunity for advancement at a company I'm familiar with. If we can't come to an agreement, no harm no foul. But humility? I'm an humble person by nature, but I'm not sure what he's asking for there. That guy is kind of a jerk anyway. He has a holier than thou attitude that I've always just ignored.

I asked the guys that called me if the HR manager knew or remembered that I left on my own fruition? They said yes, and they spoke up for me, saying that I left on good terms with everyone, and that the only reason I left was for advancement.

Interview is Wed. We shall see.
    Good luck. It sounds like by just being yourself you should make the HR Manager happy. No offense to those on the board who work in HR, but at this stage in the process, an HR manager should not have much influence as to whether you get hired, though it is obviously ideal to have everyone involved pulling for you. It sounds like you are well prepared, interviewing from a position of strength, and ready to wow them.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    No offense to those on the board who work in HR, but at this stage in the process, an HR manager should not have much influence as to whether you get hired
    X2

You can’t please everyone. HR isn’t responsible for any of the metics you will actually influence in your new role.

... That guy is kind of a jerk anyway. He has a holier than thou attitude ...
    Sounds like a cat person.

Sounds pretty snarky. Looks like HR wants you to talk about what a huge mistake you made by leaving. Ego trip maybe, especially given that it sounds like you are advancing much more quickly than if you never left.

So knowing that, you can play along a few different ways, I guess. You could say "gee, I miss this company and wish I never left." You could try to explain exactly why you left the job in the first place, and why you are coming back.

Honestly, HR sounds kinda like a jerk. Luckily, most jobs I have had interact with HR quite infrequently.

Regardless, you are at an advantage with these insights. Good luck!

Well...wasn't your interview(s) yesterday?

How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Well...wasn't your interview(s) yesterday?

How did it go?
    Yeah, sorry, been swamped. It went well, i.think. HR guy threw a backhanded insult at me, about trying to come back so soon, but I think I handled it well. My interview with the site manager went best of all I think. We went over the scheduled interview time and talked about way more that your normal run of the mill interview type questions. I think I surprised him, in a good way, with some of the questions I had for him. I'm 99.999999% sure I'll get an offer, but not sure it will be what I've asked for. If not, no harm no foul. At worst, I got some more interview practice.

I'm 99.999999% sure I'll get an offer, but not sure it will be what I've asked for. If not, no harm no foul. At worst, I got some more interview practice.
    How did you already have a 15% salary increase offer, at least 10 days ago, before the interview?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...80#post1021280

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    How did you already have a 15% salary increase offer, at least 10 days ago, before the interview?

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...80#post1021280
    Because I discussed it with the department manager that is trying to get me back. He asked what it would take for me to leave, I told him and he discussed it with his boss and said that number wouldn't be a problem. That number is 15% more than what I'm making now.

Because I discussed it with the department manager that is trying to get me back. He asked what it would take for me to leave, I told him and he discussed it with his boss and said that number wouldn't be a problem. That number is 15% more than what I'm making now.
    Glad it went well.

Hurry up and wait? No offer yet?