Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Just cut the cord this morning and we're venturing into the great unknown... Any new shows you all are watching? Preference of Roku vs Amazon Firestick vs Apple TV, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Just cut the cord this morning and we're venturing into the great unknown... Any new shows you all are watching? Preference of Roku vs Amazon Firestick vs Apple TV, etc?
    I chose Roku over Apple TV a few years ago and am happy with the choice. Firestick not an option because my TV is actually embedded into the wall so the USB ports are not accessible. I chose Roku because, at the time, Apple didn't offer Amazon programming. Not sure if that's still the case. We are otherwise an Apple family and would have loved the convenience of Apple TV with my other devices, but not getting Amazon programming was a big factor for me.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I chose Roku over Apple TV a few years ago and am happy with the choice. Firestick not an option because my TV is actually embedded into the wall so the USB ports are not accessible. I chose Roku because, at the time, Apple didn't offer Amazon programming. Not sure if that's still the case. We are otherwise an Apple family and would have loved the convenience of Apple TV with my other devices, but not getting Amazon programming was a big factor for me.
    The Apple TV does Amazon now. I use it for Prime Video.

My main question on cord cutting is DVR and time shifting. I almost never watch entertainment programming live any more. I have Uverse and record most things on my provided DVR for later viewing and fast forwarding. Can someone provide pointers on doing similar types of watching after cord cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    The Apple TV does Amazon now. I use it for Prime Video.

My main question on cord cutting is DVR and time shifting. I almost never watch entertainment programming live any more. I have Uverse and record most things on my provided DVR for later viewing and fast forwarding. Can someone provide pointers on doing similar types of watching after cord cutting?
    I get DirectTV Now, which supposedly has DVR capabilities. I haven't used it, as I got it just for ESPN access (and it includes HBO). But you can do some research there (or someone might chime in).

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Our favorite new (to us) show is the Expanse. We had been alternating with season two of Westworld and episodes of the Expanse, but have now wrapped up Westworld.

We are getting toward the final third of the second season of the Expanse. I like the tension and drama of politics, strife and struggle that reflects real life, but is lifted to a different level by putting it in the near future with a human diaspora reaching out past Mars to the asteroid belt.

Plus cool space ships and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Our favorite new (to us) show is the Expanse. We had been alternating with season two of Westworld and episodes of the Expanse, but have now wrapped up Westworld.

We are getting toward the final third of the second season of the Expanse. I like the tension and drama of politics, strife and struggle that reflects real life, but is lifted to a different level by putting it in the near future with a human diaspora reaching out past Mars to the asteroid belt.

I tried to get my wife into expanse, but she has a reflexive dislike of Sci-Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

RE: The Expanse. Curiously, the Sy Fy Network did not renew this. However, Amazon picked it up and it looks like they'll keep most/all of the creative team.

No word on when it will return.

TP and Meds

What about the original "Twin Peaks"; it was all the rage at the time (I introduced my son and he's starting a cult at school. He really loved the new second Season "Twin Peaks The Return" done 25 years later with the original actors).

Also enjoyed the 3 or so seasons of "Medium" with Patricia Arquette.

And "Luck" if you like horse racing.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Peaky Blinders is shockingly good....
    Colony is very good.
    And give anything from Australia a look see...they've produced some good stuff in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Peaky Blinders is shockingly good...
    Colony is very good.
    And give anything from Australia a look see...they've produced some good stuff in the last few years.
    I also like Peaky Blinders, but have to watch with the subtitles because some of the accents are really thick.
    My kids turned me on to Black Mirror (which is like a modern day Twilight Zone) and I also like Barry (recently mentioned in another thread).
    Sneaky Pete on Amazon is really good, but make sure to have your thinking cap on - there are lots of moving parts.
    I also recommend Ozark, which is getting ready to launch Season 2.
    The Americans on Amazon is excellent if you missed it on TV.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Just finished season five of the Americans. It's incredible. Great acting, excellent music, taut drama. You have to be willing to invest in a slow-burn, but it's worth it. Everything on screen matters, and the show can mine incredible drama from some of the smallest facial expressions and turns of phrases. Probably the best show about marriage on TV.

Even Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt made a joke about it: "You know you're living in a golden age of television when a show like The Americans gets taken for granted."

First five seasons are on Amazon. The final season is on FX's app, but will eventually be on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Just finished season five of the Americans. It's incredible. Great acting, excellent music, taut drama. You have to be willing to invest in a slow-burn, but it's worth it. Everything on screen matters, and the show can mine incredible drama from some of the smallest facial expressions and turns of phrases. Probably the best show about marriage on TV.

Even Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt made a joke about it: "You know you're living in a golden age of television when a show like The Americans gets taken for granted."

First five seasons are on Amazon. The final season is on FX's app, but will eventually be on Amazon.
    Ah, yes, I forgot The Americans...I just saw the finale of season six a few weeks ago. Fantastic series, and they did a really nice job wrapping it up, which many series do not.

But I must disagree with one thing you said...that the show was about marriage. I know a lot of people say that...but I think the marriage aspect was tertiary at best to the superior over arching themes.

Ah, yes, I forgot The Americans...I just saw the finale of season six a few weeks ago. Fantastic series, and they did a really nice job wrapping it up, which many series do not.

But I must disagree with one thing you said...that the show was about marriage. I know a lot of people say that...but I think the marriage aspect was tertiary at best to the superior over arching themes.
    That's fair. I was mostly thinking of Season 1, which did a great job of aligning the nominal plot with the themes of marriage and trust. It grew beyond that focus in later seasons.

Game of thrones
    Westworld
    Stranger things
    Handmaids tale
    Rick and morty

All must watch content, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    That's fair. I was mostly thinking of Season 1, which did a great job of aligning the nominal plot with the themes of marriage and trust. It grew beyond that focus in later seasons.
    Well to be fair to your comment, there are a lot of fans of The Americans who did think the marriage dynamic was the key thing - I get this from reading the reviews for the show.

I happen to be very interested in history, am a big spy novel buff, am writing one myself, and always interested in the media/entertainment complex's POV regarding things like The Cold War. Thus, my take on the marriage was the same as "the Center's" take on marriage was...just part of the ruse. I won't spoil season six for you, but I had some predictions about how they'd wrap it up with Elizabeth and Phillip - that were dead wrong. Still, a masterful ending.

(BTW, Phillip and Elizabeth are now married in real life...the romance grew out of the show).

Well to be fair to your comment, there are a lot of fans of The Americans who did think the marriage dynamic was the key thing - I get this from reading the reviews for the show.

I happen to be very interested in history, am a big spy novel buff, am writing one myself, and always interested in the media/entertainment complex's POV regarding things like The Cold War. Thus, my take on the marriage was the same as "the Center's" take on marriage was...just part of the ruse.
    IMO, the show's main focus was the purpose of life. IMO, marriage, parenting, friendships, careers, etc. were all components of the bigger issue (the purpose of life) Phillip and Elizabeth tried to discover.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, the show's main focus was the purpose of life. IMO, marriage, parenting, friendships, careers, etc. were all components of the bigger issue (the purpose of life) Phillip and Elizabeth tried to discover.
    Cannot agree with you there...there's been a zillion shows about marriage, parenting, friendships and careers...but never before have the careers been KGB officers under cover in disguise living next door to an FBI counter intelligence officer in DC during the height of the Cold War.

And if you saw the ending, you'll know that the USA/USSR situation dominated every single character's life - defined their lives going forward in a far more powerful way than any of the relationships.

Cannot agree with you there...there's been a zillion shows about marriage, parenting, friendships and careers...but never before have the careers been KGB officers under cover in disguise living next door to an FBI counter intelligence officer in DC during the height of the Cold War.

And if you saw the ending, you'll know that the USA/USSR situation dominated every single character's life - defined their lives going forward in a far more powerful way than any of the relationships.
    To help this thread stay on topic, I moved this conversation to The Americans thread.

Need help on Cable cutting.

We're looking to reduce our TV/Cable bill later this month. I thought I would bring this thread back to the top and see if any of you can give me any suggestions on what you might have done to cut your cable costs. We currently have Spectrum. We're looking at Roku but would like some suggestions from you guys/gals. Thanks for any responses.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We're looking to reduce our TV/Cable bill later this month. I thought I would bring this thread back to the top and see if any of you can give me any suggestions on what you might have done to cut your cable costs. We currently have Spectrum. We're looking at Roku but would like some suggestions from you guys/gals. Thanks for any responses.

GoDuke!
    Hate to tell you, but the cost savings are getting smaller by the month. Each subscription service is increasing their price. If you have Hulu, HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Apple - your savings are not what they were three years ago.

For mez the biggest advantage of "cutting the cord" is having everything available on demand.

The only "non-demand" watching I do is sports. And from my perspective, there's nothing interesting for five months in the sports realm, so...