Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Georgia hires Crean

Crean was a disaster at Indiana. Why would anyone think he can win at Georgia?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    He did really well at Marquette, and was both a national COY and a conference COY at IU IIRC. He ain’t chopped liver.

His stint at Indiana did not end well. Some of that was his fault, some was not.

Once Matta said “no,” this may be the best option out there. The other names being floated were Tubby and Pitino. Ugh and ugh.

So you don't think the hire is just peachy-crean?

UGA, along with the rest of the SEC, are looking to improve their basketball footprint. They are hiring big names to give the program some allure.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He did really well at Marquette, and was both a national COY and a conference COY at IU IIRC. He ain’t chopped liver.

His stint at Indiana did not end well. Some of that was his fault, some was not.

Once Matta said “no,” this may be the best option out there. The other names being floated were Tubby and Pitino. Ugh and ugh.
    Crean a 100% fraud. Had one exceptional season at Marquette, thanks to another fraud, Wade. The previous coach, Mike Deane, and his staff were in on Wade before the high-heeled tan man got there. Crean has so little class that his final marquette team found out he was leaving for Hoosierville via espn. He's married to Harbaugh's sister, another beauty. Yuck. Good riddance. The further away from Wisconsin he is, the better.

Which group voted him coach of the year at Marquette?

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Crean a 100% fraud. Had one exceptional season at Marquette, thanks to another fraud, Wade. The previous coach, Mike Deane, and his staff were in on Wade before the high-heeled tan man got there. Crean has so little class that his final marquette team found out he was leaving for Hoosierville via espn. He's married to Harbaugh's sister, another beauty. Yuck. Good riddance. The further away from Wisconsin he is, the better.

Wow.

I ain’t pumping Crean, but when someone is attacking a guy’s wife well — it’s beyond me,

Not trying to build a case for Crean. But Matta, Shaka Smart, and Chris Mack apparently already said no. https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ia-basketball/ . So, who should they hire — Pitino? Lebo?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow.

I ain’t pumping Crean, but when someone is attacking a guy’s wife well — it’s beyond me,

Not trying to build a case for Crean. But Matta, Shaka Smart, and Chris Mack apparently already said no. https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ia-basketball/ . So, who should they hire — Pitino? Lebo?

I don't care who they hire. But six years. His agent must be one of the best ever. If memory serves (shaky), he got an extension at Indiana before he coached a game.

Geez, all I typed was his wife was a beauty. Hardly attacking. Believe me, I could have hammered her.

Attack: take aggressive action against (a place or enemy forces) with weapons or armed force, typically in a battle or war.

So, Wade played in Crean's 3rd and 4th seasons at Marquette, but all credit goes to the prior coach?

And how was he fraudulent?

I'm no Crean fan but while 4 trips to the Sweet Sixteen may only make him a couple better than Kevin Stallings, it doesn't really support your fraud claims.

Crean a 100% fraud. ... He's married to Harbaugh's sister, another beauty. Yuck. ...
    Which Harbaugh? John or Jim?

She may not be a beauty, but I thought we were above that sort of thing since the Crazies were chastised for voting Mike O'Koren to the All-ACC ugly team.

I am a little confused as to where you stand on this issue....

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    UGA, along with the rest of the SEC, are looking to improve their basketball footprint. They are hiring big names to give the program some allure.
    I get it, but is Tom Crean actually a big name? Who other than basketball junkies has even the slightest clue who he is?

You have any skin in the game?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I get it, but is Tom Crean actually a big name? Who other than basketball junkies has even the slightest clue who he is?
    How big of a name could Georgia get? He's been to a Final Four, although not recently, and he won a couple Big Ten regular season titles at a famous program. That's pretty good for Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    How big of a name could Georgia get? He's been to a Final Four, although not recently, and he won a couple Big Ten regular season titles at a famous program. That's pretty good for Georgia.
    Even more to the point than Dev, how many "Big Names" even exist? I wouldn't call more than 15-20 coaches a Big Name. Whether or not Crean is in that group is certainly debatable. He would be cuspy.

And then from there, could Georgia really land a Big Name? I probably could name 15-20 programs that should be in the market for a Big Name. Georgia would not be on my list, and they would probably not be cuspy.

So from that perspective (my perspective), they did well here.

- Chillin

Any Duke-connected assistants potentially in play for HC gigs this off-season? Such as Capel, or Carrawell (under Wojo at Marquette), or an upgrade for a former Duke assistant?

I hear that Pitt may have an opening...
    (but no team left!)

Crean a 100% fraud. Had one exceptional season at Marquette, thanks to another fraud, Wade.
    Why is Wade a fraud? He's one of the few NBA players that I have a major amount of respect for on, and more importantly off the court.

Listening to the talking heads today, it's widely assumed Miller is going to lose his job in Arizona? This would be a shame considering there has been no proof of any wrongdoing. I fear for this country watching a lot of people being assumed guilty in the court of public appeal over allegations that may, or may not be true. The fire them, or suspend them, and ask questions after mentality is worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Why is Wade a fraud? He's one of the few NBA players that I have a major amount of respect for on, and more importantly off the court.

Listening to the talking heads today, it's widely assumed Miller is going to lose his job in Arizona? This would be a shame considering there has been no proof of any wrongdoing.
    Well, his team was evidence of wrongdoing last night.

I would suggest that would be strong rationale for dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Even more to the point than Dev, how many "Big Names" even exist? I wouldn't call more than 15-20 coaches a Big Name. Whether or not Crean is in that group is certainly debatable. He would be cuspy.

And then from there, could Georgia really land a Big Name? I probably could name 15-20 programs that should be in the market for a Big Name. Georgia would not be on my list, and they would probably not be cuspy.

So from that perspective (my perspective), they did well here.

- Chillin

Krystkowiak is a pretty "big name." Not sure he's available.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Krystkowiak is a pretty "big name." Not sure he's available.

One letter bigger than Krzyzewski