Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

2018 MBB Coaching Carousel

The men's carousel got off to a surprisingly early start with Tim Floyd announcing his retirement. Both his assistants had been HCs before, and for the foreseeable future they'll have to do since nobody is going to leave a job this early in the season to move to El Paso. Still, Floyd's is the first vacant spot of the year.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The men's carousel got off to a surprisingly early start with Tim Floyd announcing his retirement. Both his assistants had been HCs before, and for the foreseeable future they'll have to do since nobody is going to leave a job this early in the season to move to El Paso. Still, Floyd's is the first vacant spot of the year.
    Tim Floyd had dropped out of sight for me. Here's his coaching career:
    Code:
    1976–1977 	Louisiana Tech (asst.)
    1977–1986 	UTEP (asst.)
    1986–1988 	Idaho
    1988–1994 	New Orleans
    1994–1998 	Iowa State
    1998–2001 	Chicago Bulls
    2003–2004 	New Orleans Hornets
    2005–2009 	USC
    2010–2017 	UTEP

Head coaching record
    444–248 (NCAA)
    90–231 (NBA)
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Code:
    1977–1986 	UTEP (asst.)
    1986–1988 	Idaho
    1988–1994 	New Orleans
    1994–1998 	Iowa State
    1998–2001 	Chicago Bulls
    2005–2009 	USC
    2010–2017 	UTEP

Head coaching record
    444–248 (NCAA)
    90–231 (NBA)
    Ditto, had totally forgotten about him until I read his retirement news. Sounds like it wasn't even school initiated; he was basically like "I'm really bad at this now, time to hang it up."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Code:
    1977–1986 	UTEP (asst.)
    1986–1988 	Idaho
    1988–1994 	New Orleans
    1994–1998 	Iowa State
    1998–2001 	Chicago Bulls
    2005–2009 	USC
    2010–2017 	UTEP

Head coaching record
    444–248 (NCAA)
    90–231 (NBA)
    Damn, until this news item, he was a great candidate for "Alive or dead?"

Weird

Very strange time to resign. Wonder if there is more to the story?

Maybe Jeff found out the players actually had to attend classes and pass the courses. GoDuke!

Uh,... let me translate. The "Jeff Mullins Solution" only worked for #44. In 1985, Charlotte hired Jeff Mullins, 12-year NBA veteran and all-star, NBA champion, ACC POY and All-American, and Olympic gold medalist, and in two years the program turned around, winning the Sun Belt conference and making the NCAA tournament. Charlotte went to the NCAA's three times and the NIT twice in Jeff's 12 years as coach.

Less than three years ago, Charlotte tried a second time with Mark Price, who had a remarkably similar college and NBA resume to Mullins. After two years and nine games, the AD pulled the plug on the Mr. Price -- who said he was "shocked" by the move.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It's kind of impressive that a guy could rack up 327 career wins without ever getting anywhere near the NCAA Tournament.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Oh no! Not Lebo!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    It's kind of impressive that a guy could rack up 327 career wins without ever getting anywhere near the NCAA Tournament.
    Well, his 2009 Auburn team was 22-11 (10-6 in SEC) and was probably one of the last few teams to miss getting an at-large bid. They were given a #1 seed in the NIT, which typically indicates a team that came really close to making the NCAAs. Also, his last two Tennessee Tech teams dominated the Ohio Valley, winning the regular season race and seemed very likely to get NCAA bids, but they each lost in the conference tourney and did not get an at-large invite.

Still, 20 years and only 5 post-season tournaments (2 NIT, 3 CIT) is sorta amazing.

Lebo is only 51. I'm not sure if he was pushed out or just decided to hang it up. His Auburn contract was paying him $750k a year and I would imagine he has a few million in the bank after being a head coach for so many seasons, but 51 feels like a young age to just hang it up. Maybe he will try to get into broadcasting or something like that.

-Jason "as least he has a Carolina degree to fall back upon... cause I'm sure he earned every credit he got, right?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Colorado State will fire men’s basketball Larry Eustachy for violating a zero-tolerance policy implemented after previous abusive behavior toward players and staff, the Denver Post reported Thursday, citing an unidentified source with direct knowledge of the situation.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartandhp

Georgia Tech

Tech ought to be readying the guillotine for Pastner. This is turning into a disaster.

The Ole Miss job will be open at season's end.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rt-ways-season

The Ole Miss job will be open at season's end.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...rt-ways-season
    I don’t know much about Kennedy but Parrish and Norlander discussed his plight at Ole Miss on their CBS podcast. Their take was that Kennedy did well at a very bad division 1 job and they speculated that the next coach will probably win fewer games. Good programs want to be great, average programs want to be good and they’re willing to risk being worse for a shot at being better. Jamie Dixon and Herb Sendek can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    ... Good programs want to be great, average programs want to be good and they’re willing to risk being worse for a shot at being better. Jamie Dixon and Herb Sendek can relate.
    Jamie Dixon left Pitt. It wasn't an attempt by Pitt to get better. Dixon saw what talent he had at Pitt and what was waiting at TCU (his alma mater) and bolted. Pitt lost most if not all of the recruits that had signed LOIs.

Colorado State has an open position. Larry Eustachy resigns.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartandhp

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Jamie Dixon left Pitt. It wasn't an attempt by Pitt to get better. Dixon saw what talent he had at Pitt and what was waiting at TCU (his alma mater) and bolted. Pitt lost most if not all of the recruits that had signed LOIs.
    Idk what the mood was at Pitt about Dixon but Gary Parrish described a preemptive move. Being an overachieving perennial bubble team takes good coaching but isn’t appreciated long term. He knew he wasn’t going to compete for a Conference title in the ACC and consistent middling success would wear thin eventually. Buzz Peterson is in a similar spot. He’s a pretty well respected coach with mediocre results. He needs a top 10 finish type year. Then he can decide if he wants to plant his flag at VT or move on while there’s a positive buzz (pun intended) around him. Sort off like he did at Marquette.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Idk what the mood was at Pitt about Dixon but Gary Parrish described a preemptive move. Being an overachieving perennial bubble team takes good coaching but isn’t appreciated long term. He knew he wasn’t going to compete for a Conference title in the ACC and consistent middling success would wear thin eventually. Buzz Peterson is in a similar spot. He’s a pretty well respected coach with mediocre results. He needs a top 10 finish type year. Then he can decide if he wants to plant his flag at VT or move on while there’s a positive buzz (pun intended) around him. Sort off like he did at Marquette.
    Buzz Peterson? Must be inside William’s sweaty shirt.