Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. This was the first Duke game I was able to watch (plus highlights and box scores of other games). Some emerging thoughts based on just this game so may be more anecdotal than fundamental...

Bagley and Carter are the two strengths of this team. They’re really good, and it seems like the team will build around them.

This will present a major adjustment for Grayson as he would not have the open driving lanes he’s used to having, as those two guys and their defenders clog the middle more often. That’s one of the reasons he struggled so much on drives today. But I think he’ll eventually adjust as he’s such a good shooter.

The guy who doesn’t quite fit might be Duval, who isn’t a great shooter and himself prefers to drive and create. He was most useful today in a spot-up role, and unfortunately that’s not playing to his strengths. We may need to force turnovers and go for the fast break more often to utilize Duval’s potential.

We were pretty lucky this game - if Florida’s late 3 or the late free throw hadn’t rimmed out, we may not have won this game.

Our late steals were game changing, but for the majority of the game we weren’t able to stop penetration. That will definitely need to change.

Found this YouTube channel that uploads highlights/score attempts of specific players and/or games.

https://youtu.be/bIGP-3y3Qx4

This one is for Bagley’s game against Florida. He’s done them for other players. I may just watch these going forward in the future instead of DVR. Saves me 1.5 hours of 2 hours each time.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Who was worried about 3pt (42%) and free throw shooting (95%!!!)? I’m going to bed😃
    I would have said we were capable of shooting 42% from 3 on a good day but No Way, based on the first seven games, did I think we could go 19-20 from the line. Crazy.

What an incredible night and tournament to experience. They'll make their mistakes and have lapses but never count them out.

Cherry on top seeing dejected fans of another school thinking they were going to see us go down making their night after their butt whipping.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    If DeLaurier can get a good 15-17 foot jump shot he's going to be one heck of a player.
    Javin has to learn not to foul so much, but to my eyes he's our best defensive player, by far.

People seem to be down on Grayson's drives, but he had at least two really nice drives and dishes to the corner for open three-point attempts. His a/to for the three PK80 games was 21 to 7, that's 7.0 apg and a 3:1 a/to ratio, which is pretty darn good.

Today's 33.3% OR% was the first game this season our offensive rebounding has been below 39.5%. For the season, we're at 43.2%, which if it lasted all season would be Duke's 2nd-best OR% ever.

For the second time in as many games, Gary Trent Jr. has shot a FT to give us the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I would have said we were capable of shooting 42% from 3 on a good day but No Way, based on the first seven games, did I think we could go 19-20 from the line. Crazy.
    Yeah, really! But it looks like Bagley has really worked on his FT form, as he’s been steadily improving. Which, of course, is extremely good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    @RobDauster
    What will assuredly get lost in the mix is Gary Trent Jr.'s play in the final two minutes. Tough defensive board at the 2:00 mark, two FTs to put Duke ahead, picked Jalen Hudson's pocket with 15 seconds left, two FTs to put them up three. Tough. That kid's a winner.
    Agree that Trent was huge during that time period, but let's not cherrypick - he also had an extremely ill-advised reach-in foul on Hudson that he was bailed out on when Hudson missed the front end.

What a game.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I'm not sure what caused the hot/cold on this one, but Bagley is a beast and this team has heart, if not great defense (yet).
    The Gators appeared to suffer from fatigue i keeping up with both Duke's shooters and our big men, who only got stronger. Florida was obviously on the verge of a major upset, ased on their extrememly active the taking advantage of Dule's lapses.

The last five minutes of the game, when we kept them scoreless was just smart play -- and tough. Proud to be a support of the team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

A lot of Allen's shots on drives just didn't go in despite being pretty good shots. Bagley had many more somewhat difficult shots roll off the rim than Grayson did. Both players could have had better shot selection tonight but I liked the aggression I saw from Bagley.

Spectacular Tournament Championship win.This team looks like its DOA, then the next thing you know they have clawed their way back. Lucky to see Marvin Bagley III. He is one of the best players we have ever had and it is still in November.
    Great starting 5 with many flaws and vulnerabilities,but they will improve.

Like to see DeLaurier,Bolden,O'Connell, Goldwire and Vrankovic score more when they play. They will be open if they get PT. Trent Jr. was productive tonight. If he can get consistent that will take the scoring load off Bagley and Allen. Carter struggled but is very composed and was playing with 4 fouls as was DeLaurier.

Cardiac Kids comes to mind. Those last 3 games were unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Agree that Trent was huge during that time period, but let's not cherrypick - he also had an extremely ill-advised reach-in foul on Hudson that he was bailed out on when Hudson missed the front end.

What a game.
    The fact that he was called for the reach-in on the previous possession makes it even more impressive that he went for it again on the next defensive possession and was successful. There is lots of moxie on this squad. Young, reckless, and incredibly talented. I'm enjoying this season quite a bit so far. The ceiling is the roof...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Lucky to see Marvin Bagley III. He is one of the best players we have ever had and it is still in November.
    Without being overly dramatic, after watching Bagley up until this point, we are watching Lebron had he been made to go to college.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Without being overly dramatic, after watching Bagley up until this point, we are watching Lebron had he been made to go to college.
    I don't know about that. Bagley is a dominant college player for sure and definitely one of Duke's most talented but LeBron was in a whole different class coming out of high school. LeBron was/is a freak athlete in a whole different class. In terms of athleticism I'd say LeBron was a 10/10 while Bagley is a 9/10 which is still dominant but not at that level LeBron was at. The speed, the strength, the athleticism, LeBron had it all at the highest of highs.

What great news to wake up to at 3:00 AM. Checking the score was the first thing I did after waking up. (Actually the second thing, but y’all don’t want to hear about the first thing.)

Now to drink coffee and watch some of the replay . . . probably about the last 12 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by WHOneedsSOX View Post
    I don't know about that. Bagley is a dominant college player for sure and definitely one of Duke's most talented but LeBron was in a whole different class coming out of high school. LeBron was/is a freak athlete in a whole different class. In terms of athleticism I'd say LeBron was a 10/10 while Bagley is a 9/10 which is still dominant but not at that level LeBron was at. The speed, the strength, the athleticism, LeBron had it all at the highest of highs.
    I guess it's maybe an exaggeration, but I don't know that it's wrong, necessarily. He's not (probably) the next LBJ--I imagine that guy will be like obscenity--especially considering how post play is developing in the NBA. But right now MBIII seems like he'd be in the LBJ, Kobe, and KG class of players to go straight from HS to the NBA. That's something.

I mean, right now--as a high school senior--he's averaging 22.3 PPG and 11.3 RPG (I think ESPN is updated), and that includes his 10 minutes against MSU, where he still had 6 boards and only 4 points. He's just really good, and I'm pretty sure he should be in the NBA right now.

Yes, we won and that is always better than losing but...

IMG_0043.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Admittedly I haven't seen that much college basketball so far this year but... if there's a better player in the country than Marvin Bagley III then I'll eat my shorts. He is special. We are lucky to get to watch him another 30 or so times this season. Without him this team is entirely different and nowhere near as good.

My heart can't take too many more these games though... need to figure out how to start as strong as we finish and then we're in for a treat.
    Yeah I watch very little NBA these days and find the Warriors brand of ball to be boring as heck so I’m not an expert by any means. But if Bagley goes 4th in the draft there are 3 really dumb GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I wonder if their fans were screaming about stall ball as much as we do.
    I’d love to nurse a lead going down the stretch for a change but this Duke team might be tough to watch playing stall ball. If Duvall stays on the court he’s going to the line every time he touches the ball. At least Bagley looks much improved shooting free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I guess it's maybe an exaggeration, but I don't know that it's wrong, necessarily. He's not (probably) the next LBJ--I imagine that guy will be like obscenity--especially considering how post play is developing in the NBA. But right now MBIII seems like he'd be in the LBJ, Kobe, and KG class of players to go straight from HS to the NBA. That's something.

I mean, right now--as a high school senior--he's averaging 22.3 PPG and 11.3 RPG (I think ESPN is updated), and that includes his 10 minutes against MSU, where he still had 6 boards and only 4 points. He's just really good, and I'm pretty sure he should be in the NBA right now.
    Perhaps a more apt comparison might be Kevin Durant? Maybe not stylistically, but statistically they're sort of similar. I know it's early in the season, but Durant averaged 25.8PPG and 11RPG in his year at Texas. Bagley is in that ballpark, albeit with slightly fewer points per game — and he's already shown he can do it against good competition. If he doesn't hit a freshman wall, he could match those averages.