Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    According to ESPN, he was ordered back to Tennessee and told not to negotiate with Mike Leach, whom he was interviewing. Gotta wonder if they saw more protests on the horizon if he were to offer another coach with lots of controversial baggage.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...oaching-search
    Now this is a bit scary!! They're reporting that Phillip Fulmur will take a more active role in hiring the next HC for Tennessee. If he call up Coach Cut and asks will Coach Cut feel like he owes it to his old boss? I really hope not but one never knows they where supposedly very tight and Coach Cut did work for him before and after Ole Miss.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Now this is a bit scary!! They're reporting that Phillip Fulmur will take a more active role in hiring the next HC for Tennessee. If he call up Coach Cut and asks will Coach Cut feel like he owes it to his old boss? I really hope not but one never knows they where supposedly very tight and Coach Cut did work for him before and after Ole Miss.
    The rumor mill says Fulmer has been sabotaging the coaching search and other stuff in the hope of becoming the new Tennessee AD.

-Jason "I'm not worried about Cut... he is happy and has no desire to go to a messy situation" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

First, sorry to the person who asked me about Schiano. I meant to respond to you, but I didn't have time early in the week, and things have gone crazier since then.

Second, what the tar heel* is going on with this school? There is no part of this situation they haven't made a mess of. I thought the craziest part was going to be when they offered Doeren and we fans were praying to be rejected. Then we get to the verge of hiring a pretty good coach who seems to want the job, and we fire the AD to stop it from happening.

I need more basketball games to save me from utter despair.

*Dirtiest word I know

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    ... what the tar heel* is going on with this school? ...

*Dirtiest word I know
    And this is a UT Vol, folks, making this statement. This begs for special commendation!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree. At some point you stop climbing the ladder and appreciate where you are. The guy has made enough money to retire many times over. His Wiki page says he was divorced a few years ago and has a kid with serious medical issues, so I'm guessing/hoping that issues other than football and money factor into this. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to uproot my family to move to College Station, TX (no offense) and jump out of one pressure cooker into another. But at the same time, perhaps he is miserable at FSU and is looking for a change of scenery. Regardless, I don't think the money would be driving this decision.
    Unfortunately, it seems money drives most everything these days. Probably always has, I'm just getting more cynical by the day in the current environment.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    According to ESPN, he was ordered back to Tennessee and told not to negotiate with Mike Leach, whom he was interviewing. Gotta wonder if they saw more protests on the horizon if he were to offer another coach with lots of controversial baggage.
    How is Leach controversial other than being railroaded by a stage dad with an ESPN gig? #CJK5H

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    How is Leach controversial other than being railroaded by a stage dad with an ESPN gig? #CJK5H
    More than one player in his past has accused him of physical abuse. After Schiano, it's an accusation that UT might not want to deal with.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Jimbo out at FSU. Color me confused by his choice.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wasn't Jimbo Bobby Sr's hand picked successor?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I agree that FSU is the better job but I think Jimbo had wornout his welcome and was ready to get outta town. The Aggies reported $75 million was a pretty good parting gift.

I think Dumbo resorted to his annual public whining for more money and fancier facilities one time too many -- and picked a particularly bad time to wail, after a season in which the Noles had to scramble late to reschedule a cupcake game just to limp into a .500 record and keep their bowl streak alive. It appears to me that, in the process, he miscalculated his indispensability, pushed his protest too far, and snookered himself out of a huge buyout from FSU. But he did manage to hoodwink TAMU into giving him a fat contract. Without another Jameis Winston, and having to face (IMO) more consistently tough opponents in the SEC each season, I doubt he'll be able to compile a better record than Sumlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I think Dumbo resorted to his annual public whining for more money and fancier facilities one time too many -- and picked a particularly bad time to wail, after a season in which the Noles had to scramble late to reschedule a cupcake game just to limp into a .500 record and keep their bowl streak alive. It appears to me that, in the process, he miscalculated his indispensability, pushed his protest too far, and snookered himself out of a huge buyout from FSU. But he did manage to hoodwink TAMU into giving him a fat contract. Without another Jameis Winston, and having to face (IMO) more consistently tough opponents in the SEC each season, I doubt he'll be able to compile a better record than Sumlin.
    I also think it's true that the gargantuan mess his ex wife made did him no favors, as interesting as some of the stories may have been.

The coaching search at Tennesse has cost the job of the recently hired AD Currie. ESPN is reporting he's being canned due to the incompetent job search. Phil Fulmer will now head the coaching search. Rocky Top could owe Currie as much as $5.5 million if he's fired without cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    As a colleague of mine said (he's also a Gator, in the interest of full disclosure): "So that means that FSU is a 'stepping stone' to a program that hasn’t won a conference title since 1998 or a National Championship since 1939…"
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Looks like Fulmer will sign a 2 year contract as UT's new AD.

We've got a volunteer for UT's next coach: https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/...949121/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    We've got a volunteer for UT's next coach: https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/...949121/photo/1
    I hope you guys realize this absolutely puts our coach back in play...

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    No, it doesn't, I feel confident in saying that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tux View Post
    How does it put him in play when he already said "no thanks?"

How does it put him in play when he already said "no thanks?"
    Because of his history with Fulmer and the $4 million salary. I hope not, but I think Fulmer will reach out to Cutcliffe again.