Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Report I heard was that Doeren said no to the Vols

Also hearing that Jimbo will be announced as new TTech coach this afternoon
    TTech? Or A&M?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    TTech? Or A&M?
    Sorry, A&M. Have Tech in the brain from the Spurrier discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Also hearing that Jimbo will be announced as new Texas A&M coach this afternoon
    I don't get this at all. He is paid well at FSU. He has a solid program where he can consistently compete at the highest level. He doesn't have to live in College Station (Tallahassee is way better). And he doesn't have to play in the SEC.

Dave Doeren is staying at NC State and will sign a contract extensions. Turned down $4 million a year from Tenn.

Re: Jimbo/FSU -- I had forgotten that Stan Wilcox (formerly of Duke) was the FSU AD.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Dave Doeren is staying at NC State and will sign a contract extensions. Turned down $4 million a year from Tenn.
    I'm going to use the threat of coaching Tennessee to my advantage of seeking a pay raise from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Good for him and NCSU. Congrats. As long as he keeps beatin' the cheatin'...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    I don't get this at all. He is paid well at FSU. He has a solid program where he can consistently compete at the highest level. He doesn't have to live in College Station (Tallahassee is way better). And he doesn't have to play in the SEC.
    Because he could be paid better.

Texas A&M sources have indicated to ESPN that the Aggies are prepared to make Fisher one of the sport's three highest-paid coaches with an annual salary of more than $7 million, which would rank behind only Alabama's Nick Saban ($11.1 million in total compensation this year, average of $8.27 million over eight years) and would surpass Clemson's Dabo Swinney ($8.5 million this year, average of $6.75 million over eight years).
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...tate-seminoles
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Good for him and NCSU. Congrats. As long as he keeps beatin' the cheatin'...

I know it's a tough job at State. Beat the cheats or get fired at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Because he could be paid better.
    Yes. But how much better? He's (I think) #6 now. A&M might move him to #3. I would expect FSU to give him a bump for staying. I think there has to be more to this because FSU is a much better job than A&M.

Yes. But how much better? He's (I think) #6 now. A&M might move him to #3. I would expect FSU to give him a bump for staying. I think there has to be more to this because FSU is a much better job than A&M.
    I agree. At some point you stop climbing the ladder and appreciate where you are. The guy has made enough money to retire many times over. His Wiki page says he was divorced a few years ago and has a kid with serious medical issues, so I'm guessing/hoping that issues other than football and money factor into this. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to uproot my family to move to College Station, TX (no offense) and jump out of one pressure cooker into another. But at the same time, perhaps he is miserable at FSU and is looking for a change of scenery. Regardless, I don't think the money would be driving this decision.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    According to that article, FSU is basically in "Hurry up and decide" mode, not "here's some more money for you to stay" mode. And after a 6-6 season, you can't blame them. (Not saying he's not worth fighting for, but until they win their cupcake game this weekend, they are in a losing season...not the best bargaining power.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Apparently Chip Kelly listens to advice from David Cutcliffe. According to ESPN, he took less money to go to UCLA because of what he learned from Cut.

That group that met with Kelly included Guerrero [the AD], university chancellor Gene Block and associate athletic director for external relations Josh Rebholz. They met at a residence Block has in the city and spent several hours getting to know each other and sharing their respective visions for how a program should be run.

For Kelly, the meeting was key because he had already determined his decision on where to coach would not necessarily be based on the program's prestige or money. His priorities were elsewhere.

"Where would I fit the best and what's the best situation for me?" Kelly said. "Because it's a great game and I love football and I'm very, very passionate about it, but to be aligned and be with the right people is the most important thing."

He attributes that approach to advice from Duke coach David Cutcliffe, whom he spent time around in the spring.

Apparently Chip Kelly listens to advice from David Cutcliffe. According to ESPN, he took less money to go to UCLA because of what he learned from Cut.
    That should make every Duke fan proud on several levels. I know that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    According to that article, FSU is basically in "Hurry up and decide" mode, not "here's some more money for you to stay" mode. And after a 6-6 season, you can't blame them. (Not saying he's not worth fighting for, but until they win their cupcake game this weekend, they are in a losing season...not the best bargaining power.)
    If you believe FSU fans, they are sick of Jimbo doing this each year. He doesn't want to go to College Station, but his bluff was called and now he has to leave.

If you believe Aggie fans, the lure of SEC and bringing Texas A&M to football glory is too lucrative to pass up given their facilities and FSU's unwillingness to keep up with the arms' race.

I am sure it's somewhere in between -- Jimbo would prefer to stay, but the market is valuing him higher (both in pay and program investment) than FSU is willing to match, so it makes sense for him to go.

Either way, it is the strangest move since Bielema to Arkansas in my view, but on a much larger scale. Not dissimilar to Gary Anderson coming off a Big Ten CCG appearance going from Wisconsin to Oregon St. On the surface, a head-scratcher, but when you peel back the onion, things weren't all hunky dory, so the exit made more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    If you believe FSU fans, they are sick of Jimbo doing this each year. He doesn't want to go to College Station, but his bluff was called and now he has to leave.

If you believe Aggie fans, the lure of SEC and bringing Texas A&M to football glory is too lucrative to pass up given their facilities and FSU's unwillingness to keep up with the arms' race.

I am sure it's somewhere in between -- Jimbo would prefer to stay, but the market is valuing him higher (both in pay and program investment) than FSU is willing to match, so it makes sense for him to go.

Either way, it is the strangest move since Bielema to Arkansas in my view, but on a much larger scale. Not dissimilar to Gary Anderson coming off a Big Ten CCG appearance going from Wisconsin to Oregon St. On the surface, a head-scratcher, but when you peel back the onion, things weren't all hunky dory, so the exit made more sense.
    FSU President John Thrasher mentioned that there are always "personalities" involved in these issues. I expect "personality #1" is Jimbo Fisher.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Obviously, a lot of stuff on the NC State message boards about the Tennessee coaching search ... obviously, a lot of gloating since Doeren turned them down.

Great post: "It's pretty sad when you're getting mocked by NC State fans about how you are conducting your coaching search."

Funny line, but this might be the first search I've seen that's more inept than the State search after Herb Sendek bailed (and the Pack finally settled for Sidney Lowe)

Tennessee supposedly struck out again, Sumlin supposedly not interested. I am a little skeptical of the reporting source 😃

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow
    Good source - Sumlin not interested in #Tennessee job
    7:42 PM - Nov 30, 2017
    206 206 Replies 531 531 Retweets 1,074 1,074 likes

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/te...ted-tennessee/

Also reports starting to pop up that Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M have agreed to a 10 year $75 million contract. I think that is roughly a $2 million dollar annual raise for Fisher. I think FSU is the better job but that is a pretty big incentive to leave.

Not surprising but Vols AD John Currie is out at Tennessee after the bungled coaching search.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Not surprising but Vols AD John Currie is out at Tennessee after the bungled coaching search.
    According to ESPN, he was ordered back to Tennessee and told not to negotiate with Mike Leach, whom he was interviewing. Gotta wonder if they saw more protests on the horizon if he were to offer another coach with lots of controversial baggage.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...oaching-search