Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Florida (Sun, 11/26, 10:30pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

If already started--apologies

Game plan-

since they are so hot shooting threes--pressure the shooters -make them drive
    hence decrease their production by 15-20 points - throw in a few blocks by the good guys and
    we are looking good !
    Last edited by JBDuke; 11-26-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Get that game plan to K asap...

We need heavy doses of Carter and Bagley. We have a significant advantage inside. Florida had absolutely nothing for Williams last night when they battled the Zags. I am worried about their speedy guards... we need to play defense with our feet and not our hands. It will be important for Allen and Duval to stay out of foul trouble. Hopefully O'Connell isn't overwhelmed by their perimeter speed and is able to provide some valuable minutes. It's going to take a team effort to win this game. The Gators have some serious talent and can really light it up from 3.

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    If already started--apologies
    Curse you! I just wasted the past 10 minutes of my life trying to figure out what the score was and hoping I hadn't missed too much of the action.

For those that don't know (like me)...game is Sunday 11/26 at 10:30p. Yikes...late game for a school night.

Perhaps a game for an extra helping or two of Javin's energy and shot blocking ability on defense when it fits the scheme. It will be very interesting to see how K comes out of the gate with the defensive alignment, since the 3 point shot is such a strength for them and it might be hard for Duke to keep pace trading too many 2 for 3.

Keep them off the 3 line. Challenge their shots around the basket. Dont foul.

Easier said than done and I expect Florida to win comfortablely if we play like we did against PSU and Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Keep them off the 3 line.
    That may not make a difference. Florida has a guy who can hit a 3 from inside the line.

10:30pm on a Sunday not in March?!

I am not a fan of this tournament.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Curse you! I just wasted the past 10 minutes of my life trying to figure out what the score was and hoping I hadn't missed too much of the action.

For those that don't know (like me)...game is Sunday 11/26 at 10:30p. Yikes...late game for a school night.

need to watch my linguistics........

Interesting matchup

It will be interesting to see how Duke deals with a small but talented team with speed and great outside shooting. On the other end, I wonder how Florida will defend Bagley and Carter. From what I read, Florida’s best big (Egbunu) is out until January.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    10:30pm on a Sunday not in March?!

I am not a fan of this tournament.
    As noted in a different thread, the Duke game is in the same session (same floor) as the MSU-cheat game, so it will likely start later. I will be at the game and will encourage Roy to forfeit out of shame for the program’s transgressions, so the main event can start on time. Just a little service I offer for you Easterners.

Yeah, Florida is shooting an outstanding 46.9% (4th best) from behind the arc. Fortunately their team is short - no starter above 6'6" so we should kill them on the boards. But with our frequent close-out problems this is exactly the type of team we could have trouble against.

Transition defense has been a problem for Duke all year and last... Florida attacks fast and often even on made buckets. Against a well coached Zags last night Florida ran two plays for threes while Zags were still getting ready for inbounds. Just blew the doors food of them.
    Strength v weaknesses for both teams. Need GA or Trent or AOC to hit a few threes. Offensive RB could also be big. My guess is game is decided if zduke gets back on transition. If not game sets up nicely for Florida. If game slows down, Duke’s size was too much for a big Texas team, it will be a reall problem for a smaller Florida team.
    The ceiling is the roof

Hudson and Egor are lights out shooters. I suspect Trent, Grayson, AOC, and DeLaurier will get opportunities to slow these guys down. Duval will need to contain Chiozza's penetration. The game turns on how we defend the threes, and how Florida defends our bigs - where we have a huge advantage.

If we are having trouble defending the threes, an interesting lineup could be DeLaurier and Bagley and Grayson, Trent and Duval. This team would have quickness to closeout on shooters, and some rim protection when/if they beat us off the dribble. I'd also be interested in seeing if K tries some zone to slow down their pace... but that would be playing with fire.

The difference in styles is fascinating. I think Duke wins 91-79... a bit larger margin of victory than you'd think because I feel Duke's bigs will dominate in the paint (scoring, rebounding, blocking/altering shots). Also, I expect Duval to bounce back, and for Grayson to be on fire. Of course, if we do not guard the three point line, it could be 91-79 the other way... but I think Duke will do a good job closing out on shooters. Historically, Duke defends the three well.

Forgot KeVaughn Allen... He's a load and their best player. A versatile, athletic and skilled guard.
    Last edited by CajunDevil; 11-25-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Hudson and Egor are lights out shooters. I suspect Trent, Grayson, AOC, and DeLaurier will get opportunities to slow these guys down. Duval will need to contain Chiozza's penetration. The game turns on how we defend the threes, and how Florida defends our bigs - where we have a huge advantage.

If we are having trouble defending the threes, an interesting lineup could be DeLaurier and Bagley and Grayson, Trent and Duval. This team would have quickness to closeout on shooters, and some rim protection when/if they beat us off the dribble. I'd also be interested in seeing if K tries some zone to slow down their pace... but that would be playing with fire.

The difference in styles is fascinating. I think Duke wins 91-79... a bit larger margin of victory than you'd think because I feel Duke's bigs will dominate in the paint (scoring, rebounding, blocking/altering shots). Also, I expect Duval to bounce back, and for Grayson to be on fire. Of course, if we do not guard the three point line, it could be 91-79 the other way... but I think Duke will do a good job closing out on shooters. Historically, Duke defends the three well.
    I only saw the first half, but Gonzaga featured some zone defense and I think it was surprisingly effective.

Now, I have no idea if they continued to use it in the second half or not, because Gonzaga ended up losing that game, so I don't know if it was a matter of the Gators getting hot from three again to make the zone ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    As noted in a different thread, the Duke game is in the same session (same floor) as the MSU-cheat game, so it will likely start later.
    Jeebus, for once could sparty get that giant helmet out of his derriere and beat those mouth-breathers...For a change maybe Izzo could stop whining and try coaching.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Let's build on last night's momentum.. Heavy dose of Bags & Wendell sprinkle in a brilliant performance by G and prevent open 3's!! Oh and maybe just maybe we can play some transition D but hopefully Duval is who we think he is thus we don't see many turnovers??!

Man....I can't believe we're shooting less than 33% from three through 7 games.

The FT% isn't anything to get excited about either.

Yet we're a pretty good team at this point but I got the feeling there is a ton of growth still left in this team...more so than usual.

Regardless of what happens against Florida this season gonna be a wild one.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Man...I can't believe we're shooting less than 33% from three through 7 games.

The FT% isn't anything to get excited about either.

Yet we're a pretty good team at this point but I got the feeling there is a ton of growth still left in this team...more so than usual.

Regardless of what happens against Florida this season gonna be a wild one.
    Duke is far from it's peak right now. One you mentioned the shooting is poor and the defense is mostly terrible. Tons of room to grow still.

Myron Medcalf seems pretty sure we're going to lose tomorrow.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...pionship-games

Quote Originally Posted by hsheffield View Post
    Myron Medcalf seems pretty sure we're going to lose tomorrow.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...pionship-games
    It's funny because Medcalf said this: "But Florida also has the personnel to battle Duke inside the arc even if they're not a can't-miss team from the 3-point line on Sunday."

I just finished listening to Gary Parrish's podcast and he and Matt Norlander were saying Florida doesn't have anyone who can hang with Bagley (and presumably Carter) on the inside. Parrish is convinced that Bagley will get all he wants tomorrow and pretty much every game this season.

However, both Parrish and Norlander are in agreement with Medcalf in the conviction that Florida will take us down on Sunday, so whatever.

Parrish technically picked Duke to win, but he said it was merely because he had Duke as No.1 and it would mean he wouldn't have to work too hard in changing his Top 25 list (blah blah blah).