Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Bigs just seemed to not be paying attention. They were too busy watching their man. They need to build up some better awareness. I think that will happen over the course of the year, but not before they lose a game or two because of it.
    Great point about our bigs, in particular Carter. He doesn't move very well on defense and I think it's because he seems to have not bought into team defense yet. However I have to remember he's really young and he probably wasn't required to play big time defense in high school. If anyone can get him to buy in, it's our coaching staff. I thought Bilas made a good point tonight regarding our big guys being glued to their own man and not playing help defense. On to the championship game. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Eh, I'll take an extra 5-10 min of Grayson over losing two points there any day of the week. I appreciate the effort he's giving there, but I don't think that the cost is worth the benefit.
    I actually agree with you!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Great point about our bigs, in particular Carter. He doesn't move very well on defense and I think it's because he seems to have not bought into team defense yet. However I have to remember he's really young and he probably wasn't required to play big time defense in high school. If anyone can get him to buy in, it's our coaching staff. I thought Bilas made a good point tonight regarding our big guys being glued to their own man and not playing help defense. On to the championship game. GoDuke!
    It wasn't just Carter; it was Bolden and Bagley, too. Someone needs to call out the help.

I think Carter moves fine - he's more nimble than Bolden. Just needs better awareness.

Character Building Game. Very impressed with the team's comeback and finish.It is only November and Texas was very good. Bagley and Carter power duo will take this team far.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I actually agree with you!
    Haha, I guess I'm still so fired up after the comeback that I feel the need to argue even when we agree! Why are we yelling?! (Ignore me.)

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    LOL. Just think if Texas would have been a little better from behind the 3-point line. We get run out of the gym.
    Or if Duke had been a little better from behind the 3-point line . . .

Basically canceled out each other.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Never know. Javin may have given more. But still Bagley is special.
    Yeh, big drop off from Marvin to Javin but you're right Bagley is special. He didn't play like a guy that should be in high school. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    When we signed on to the OAD concept, this had to be expected. Horrendous D at times, not understanding how to hustle back and then a ridiculous upside offensively. K has a lot of work to do over the next 4 months; if he gets buy-in from all this team could be special.

~snip~
    This. Exactly. Five freshmen in a pressure-cooker. Had it been a bigger, more crowded arena, it could just have easily gone south on us those last seven minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Purely random thoughts about the game:

If I were a Texas fan I would be pissed that my team choked when the game was on the line. They missed probably 6 gimme layups in the final moments. And their ball movement and shot selection -- which was stellar for 3/4's of the game -- suddenly became atrocious. Bamba shooting a 3 toward the end of a one possession game??

Kudos to our guys for comeback. I'm sure the starters were exhausted but didn't give up when were down 16 and we had given up a score on probably 18 of our last 20 defensive possessions. I really thought we were done then. But the players kept fighting and miraculously came back, albeit with some help from Shaka's boys.

BTW how did our early great 10 assists/1 turnover Duval (ave first 3 games) turn into a 4 assist/4 turnover guy (ave last 4 games)? It's not just strength of schedule - our initial stretch of opponents were higher ranked on average (including a top 10 or so Mich St) than the last 4. I noticed from the start of tonight's game that Duval was usually looking to drive as soon as he received the ball. That hurts both the team and his own scoring because it's so predictable; he ended up 2-9 from the field. And only 6 assists (and 6 turnovers) in 38 minutes of play.
    Please be your old self Duval!

As much as I like Carter's offensive efficiency he was killing us on defense. His defensive support of his teammates was non-existent!

Bagley is a monster and O'Connell is a magician.

All in all an ugly/great game, if that makes sense.
    You cannot comeback usually without the other team letting down at the end. The most important thing is that they won with game pressure. This won't be the last such game.

A link to the presser would be appreciated.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Or if Duke had been a little better from behind the 3-point line . . . Basically canceled out each other.
    ...Or from the free throw line... 22-36 (and some of those misses came on the front end and one-and-one)

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ...K has a lot of work to do over the next 4 months; if he gets buy-in from all this team could be special...
    Sure looked like the down payment was made tonight, but, yes, very early.

And as always, NEXT!

(PS, Those black/babyblue/barf holetar-cheating-fake-butt-place-down-the-road unis are even worse than usual. Hideous yet hilarious. Like your dog hiding under the bed after he's been naughty. Bleech.)
    Last edited by weezie; 11-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    ...Or from the free throw line... 22-36 (and some of those misses came on the front end and one-and-one)
    Team has a lot to work on, but they fought. That is what good teams do. This team needs a consistent scorer. Allen needs to be that guy.

In the first half, I commented to my wife that this team seems to be developing a similar vibe and modus operandi as the 2015 team -- starting off slow, trailing at the half, and then ratcheting up the intensity and learning to dissect the opposing defense to make a strong comeback down the stretch, despite suffering some ghastly defensive lapses throughout the game. Someone above expressed concern that the coaches may have difficulty teaching these kids that they can't coast until crunch time. But I really like the fact that this group is cultivating the confidence in themselves to find a way to win if they play through the mistakes, maintain their composure, and continue playing hard.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    This. Exactly. Five freshmen in a pressure-cooker. Had it been a bigger, more crowded arena, it could just have easily gone south on us those last seven minutes.
    Arena seats 19,400 (that's fairly large, I think); there were almost 14,000 (and rather vocal those last seven minutes).

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    A link to the presser would be appreciated.
    https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BdxYMNgvAMxX

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Bigs just seemed to not be paying attention. They were too busy watching their man. They need to build up some better awareness. I think that will happen over the course of the year, but not before they lose a game or two because of it.
    Even if they won the game, maybe this game can serve as a "loss" as far as learning what to do and better awareness. I'm not sure they have to actually lose a game... at least, I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    You cannot comeback usually without the other team letting down at the end. The most important thing is that they won with game pressure. This won't be the last such game.
    When the Texas lead shrank to 4 or so, Bilas commented something to the effect of "let's see how Texas responds to game pressure". I'm really pleasantly surprised to see how Duke's freshmen handled their own game pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Pure, unadulerated thievery.
    These games are why everyone hates Duke.

The most encouraging thing to me was the team never gave up.

Really hoping for the MSU Grayson to re-emerge.

I’d say O’Connell must be impressing the coaching staff, and it is easy to see why.
    He makes us better when he is on the court.

Whew! What a game.
    I thought Grayson really spurred the comeback. For whatever reason it just wasn’t Duvall’s night and Grayson played a fantastic couple of minutes at PG. Duvall was huge against Portland State. Anyone can have an off night. This team has weaknesses but man do they have talent.

Lol bamba was not impressive at all.

Alex O'Connell

Anyone see Alex O'Connell getting so many minutes this season? He played 29 minutes tonight in a game that went to overtime. Not only did he play when Grayson was unavailable, but he also took Duval's place for a good bit of time.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013