Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Texas (Fri, 11/24, 5:30pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Put your pre-game and in-game thoughts in here.

People like to see this as a Bagley-Bamba thing, but I think that's a mistake. If there's a player-player matchup, I think the Carter-Bamba thing will be more interesting. But it's really a question of scoring around Bamba, and that's a team thing. I like our chances. Bamba hasn't shown himself to be an offensive dominator. Duke has more weapons than Texas, and I think that'll be decisive.

A lot of "Bagley vs Bamba" talk out there on the hooposphere, but realistically, it's going to be Bamba vs Duke's zone defense and Bamba trying to avoid turnovers against it. NBA scouts are going to be disappointed once again by Duke's choice of defense against a talented opponent.

After the MSU game, I set the over/under for the next time we'll see zone to be today, thinking ahead to Texas. I didn't know the zone would have to be whipped out against Portland St in order to slow their transition, but my theory about Texas still holds. It's early in the season, but the stats suggest that the Longhorns can't shoot, aren't great offensive rebounders, and are not good passers (low assist rate). This is a zoneable team.

This game is being looked at as a Bagley vs Bomba but Carter and Bolden will also have a say about that. I think the big to big passing is going to give Texas real problems.

Love to see Trent be a little more involved. He’s better than just the two made buckets yesterday.
    The ceiling is the roof

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    This game is being looked at as a Bagley vs Bomba but Carter and Bolden will also have a say about that. I think the big to big passing is going to give Texas real problems.
    I'd also throw Javin into that mix as well. Bomba and Osetkowski are going to be a handful but I like our plethora of bigs. Also, MBIII and Wendell have shown a nice knack for drawing fouls.

Love to see Trent be a little more involved. He’s better than just the two made buckets yesterday.
    Until he can give up his love of all shots bad, a little less Gary on O is not a bad thing. If he could have a shot mix closer to Alex's/Grayson's, I think he would be a force. Plus he might draw more fouls, which wouldn't be a bad thing given that he looks like one of our better foul shooters.

Bagley cannot make this a one-on-one battle with Bamba. My hope is the team will respect this opponent (unlike Furman and Portland State) if for no other reason than Texas is a brand name and Shaka Smart is a known entity.

Elite D vs elite O. I like our chances
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Foul trouble will dictate this game.
    i like our bigs vs texas bigs.we could use some bolden an vrank also.
    our guard play will have to be spot on.texas loves to pressure the ball.i believe this will be a better test than msu.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I'd also throw Javin into that mix as well. Bomba and Osetkowski are going to be a handful but I like our plethora of bigs. Also, MBIII and Wendell have shown a nice knack for drawing fouls.

Until he can give up his love of all shots bad, a little less Gary on O is not a bad thing. If he could have a shot mix closer to Alex's/Grayson's, I think he would be a force. Plus he might draw more fouls, which wouldn't be a bad thing given that he looks like one of our better foul shooters.
    Perhaps the math equation will work out: 4 Talented Bigs > 2 Talented Bigs ...
    Duke has a major advantage in passing capacities from many positions and spots on the floor. And perhaps Grayson and Trent have a reversion to the mean game, if they can paly closer to their capacities I like Duke by at least 12.

Hopefully yesterday's fast pace won't take a toll on our shooting legs today...

I'd like to see Trent and Bolden have good games today. I'd also like to see a new "The Last Jedi" trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    People like to see this as a Bagley-Bamba thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A lot of "Bagley vs Bamba" talk out there on the hooposphere...
    This game is being looked at as a Bagley vs Bomba...
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Bagley cannot make this a one-on-one battle with Bamba...
    Was there a talking points newsletter handed out this morning? I didn't know DBR did a pregame e-mail blast.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Was there a talking points newsletter handed out this morning? I didn't know DBR did a pregame e-mail blast.
    I would suggest that great minds.... oh, forget it.

Duval vs Coleman should be of interest, too. We did pursue Coleman for a little bit for the PG spot as we did a bunch of 2017 point guards until Trevon saved our bacon by wanting us in the end.

Checking out ESPN's Live Odds page, it looks like Texas has taken a lot of sharp (bigger money) bets today.

The telltale sign is that the public is all over Duke (83% of the tickets) but the line is moving in the wrong direction from 7.5 to 5.5 now.

Gotta say, I disagree with the wiseguys here. In our ACC betting contest, I'll be putting a ton of fake money on Duke (after waiting to see if the line will continue to dip).

Duke's going to zone Texas, the Longhorns will fail to hurt us, and we'll roll. I think.

Yes, I think that we match up well vs UT. They don't have anything near the depth that we do. If refs call it tight (both ways), that generally favors the deeper team -- US in this case.

Do you think the game will actually start at 5:30? Or will there be a lag from the previous game?

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    Do you think the game will actually start at 5:30? Or will there be a lag from the previous game?
    yesterday's was pretty bang on.

EDIT: sorry, it was the later uconn game that was spot on. I watched duke on replay so don't know when it actually tipped
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yesterday's was pretty bang on.

EDIT: sorry, it was the later uconn game that was spot on. I watched duke on replay so don't know when it actually tipped
    Yesterday's game tipped at 4:38 so should be pretty close.

EDIT: Portland State/Butler have about 6 and a half minutes left at 4:43 EST. That game has to finish and then I'm assuming 20 minute warmup for Duke-Texas, so as long as they get ~6 min of game done in less than 25 minutes we should be good.

DBR Chat is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

I really hope Duke plays Florida next because I want to see Duke against a great 3 point shooting team. In 3 of 4 games this year Florida has made 15-29, 11-25, and 15-22 3's. I think 3 point defense is a big problem for Duke so far this season. I want to see how they defend that.