Netflix: Punisher

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody has commented on this show yet. It started on Friday and I binge watched from Friday night until early yesterday evening.

I'll be honest and say it wasn't anything like the trailers made it out to be, which is both a good and bad thing. I was definitely expecting quite a bit more action, but they more than made up for the lack of action, by having a coherent story and some outstanding characters.

In the Netflix Marvel Universe I'd place this along side Luke Cage and the Defenders, but a couple of notches below Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised that nobody has commented on this show yet. It started on Friday and I binge watched from Friday night until early yesterday evening.

I'll be honest and say it wasn't anything like the trailers made it out to be, which is both a good and bad thing. I was definitely expecting quite a bit more action, but they more than made up for the lack of action, by having a coherent story and some outstanding characters.

In the Netflix Marvel Universe I'd place this along side Luke Cage and the Defenders, but a couple of notches below Daredevil.
    Three episodes in, not that impressed. Too much exposition for a character that we already know from Daredevil. I would put it so far as such:

Jessica Jones
    Luke Cage (first half)
    Daredevil (w/ Kingpin)
    Defenders
    Daredevil (other baddies)
    Punisher
    Luke Cage (second half)
    Iron Fist

I reserve the right to change my mind about Punisher as I finish. His Daredevil episodes were excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Three episodes in, not that impressed. Too much exposition for a character that we already know from Daredevil. I would put it so far as such:

Jessica Jones
    Luke Cage (first half)
    Daredevil (w/ Kingpin)
    Defenders
    Daredevil (other baddies)
    Punisher
    Luke Cage (second half)
    Iron Fist

I reserve the right to change my mind about Punisher as I finish. His Daredevil episodes were excellent.
    Mtn.Devil, I think you did a good job with you rankings. I might even have put a line that said "Big Gap" below Luke Cage (second half) and above "Iron Fist". I'm a few episodes in on Punisher and I like it OK...I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the rest of the season and see where they go with it.

I'm only 2 episodes in, and honestly, I am loving it more than I expected. Personally, I prefer character-based dramas to action-based ones, though the latter can also be very entertaining. And I, too, expected more action, but am pleasantly surprised that they devote so much time on a relatively realistic portrayal of trauma. The supporting characters are also generally more fleshed out than I would have expected.

Now, Netflix Marvel properties have tended to be poorly paced, so we'll see how this goes as I get further into it, but yeah, I really like it. I can't binge it due to work and other social commitments this week, but I look forward to watching more.

It's way better than Defenders so far, for me (even though I think almost all of them are easier characters to base a series on).