Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2017-2018 Announcer Thread

Post your thoughts on announcers here. I expect a majority of posts to address Mr. Bilas, who definitely has jumped the shark, but comments on Vitale, Dakich, Elmore, Burke, Bonner, etc. are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Post your thoughts on announcers here. I expect a majority of posts to address Mr. Bilas, who definitely has jumped the shark, but comments on Vitale, Dakich, Elmore, Burke, Bonner, etc. are welcomed.
    Watched last night with my Tar Heel Neighbor. He was Bilas - who he had previously enjoyed - as being a Duke shill last night. I told him that Duke fans seem him quite differently. I said that he only seems really happy when ripping on the NCAA. That is what gives him joy.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I really can't stand the use of the floating camera during live action. It is great for replays, and I got a kick out of how they used it to circumvent the managers holding up towels when Bagley was injured by going right over the top of him. But they should stop messing around and just stick with the fixed camera. I'm assuming that this generally won't be an issue as most arenas probably don't have that capability.

Otherwise, I thought the announcers were fine last night. I have started to grow tired of Bilas over the last few years, particularly with the self-deprecating humor that was getting old due to over-exposure (we are tired of the jokes about your hair and how other players were better than you), but I don't recall anything that bothered me last night - I think he did a pretty good job of letting the game breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    All of those folks are TV announcers. Some of us cover games more on the radio. David Shumate has been fine. My standards are pretty low, because on the radio, the only critical task of the play-by-play announcer is to paint a picture of what is happening (and what just happened) for people who are situationally sight impaired. This season, I'm getting that. That hasn't always been the case.

Liked Bilas yesterday

I thought he was particularly unbias (ie not anti-Duke). Happy Dickie V didn't announce our game because I had to mute the KU-UK game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I thought he was particularly unbias (ie not anti-Duke). Happy Dickie V didn't announce our game because I had to mute the KU-UK game.
    I also muted the UK-KU game because of Vitale. It's really difficult to listen to his never-ending stream of recycled banalities.

Bilas was ok last night. Jay Williams is awful though.

My wife and I were also overjoyed that Dickie did not do our game. Is it possible he is getting worse?

I was bummed that Vitale didn't do our game. I did enjoy him during the second game. I don't need much analysis and I don't need the "anti-Duke" we get from Bilas and others...I'd rather have Vitale's enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I really can't stand the use of the floating camera during live action. It is great for replays
    I also find the floating camera angle hard to follow for live action.

Even worse, there were a few instances were the sideline camera was in use and the “floating camera” was in the shot on top of the action. I found that quite distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I was bummed that Vitale didn't do our game. I did enjoy him during the second game. I don't need much analysis and I don't need the "anti-Duke" we get from Bilas and others...I'd rather have Vitale's enthusiasm.

I agree. My favorite announcers are:

1. Bill Walton (pure gonzo)
    2. Dick Vitale (love his enthusiasm(
    3. Mike Gminski

My least favorite:
    1. Jay Bilas
    2. Len Elmore
    (nobody else in third place)

If we can add analyst to the mix, I sure was disappointed in Jay Williams, last night, thinking the UCLA players should only be suspended for a couple games. IMO, when the POTUS has to get involved, your punishment should be greater than a 2 day suspension. I'd rather have the POTUS focused on asking China to help stop the threat of a nuclear war.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My favorite announcers are:

That makes two of us, and, most likely, only two of us.

Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    That makes two of us, and, most likely, only two of us.
    How do you two get in the mood for Walton? Any particular pre-game or in-game routine, legal or otherwise?

2. Dick Vitale (love his enthusiasm(
    3. Mike Gminski

My least favorite:
    1. Jay Bilas
    2. Len Elmore
    You pretty much nailed it. I might add Dan Bonner to list of favorites and Mike Patrick to the bottom list.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I was bummed that Vitale didn't do our game.
    Vitale would have been going insane about Grayson's game. Would have enjoyed that. I still love Vitale's call of Austin Rivers' UNC-beater.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Vitale would have been going insane about Grayson's game. Would have enjoyed that. I still love Vitale's call of Austin Rivers' UNC-beater.
    Pretty sure Vitale is to the DBR crowd what Grayson is to the college ball crowd: you either love him or you hate him.

Is anyone here actually lukewarm/doesn't care about Vitale? This assumes that you have to listen to him and he isn't on mute.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My least favorite:
    1. Jay Bilas
    2. Len Elmore
    What about Seth Greenberg? He's rather annoying in his thinly-veiled Duke hate.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Pretty sure Vitale is to the DBR crowd what Grayson is to the college ball crowd: you either love him or you hate him.

Is anyone here actually lukewarm/doesn't care about Vitale? This assumes that you have to listen to him and he isn't on mute.
    Hey, I love Dickie V and his enthusiasm for college basketball (and for Duke! He's no "hater") but I really can't stand listen to him announce any game. His "schtick" (sic) has worn thin and, IMHO, he is way past his prime (if he ever had a prime).

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Hey, I love Dickie V and his enthusiasm for college basketball (and for Duke! He's no "hater") but I really can't stand listen to him announce any game. His "schtick" (sic) has worn thin and, IMHO, he is way past his prime (if he ever had a prime).
    I freely admit that Vitale's schtick is old and repetitive. I also think he used to be much better (he's kind of a caricature of his old self at this point). And I'll still take him all day over Bilas, Elmore and other guys that are so some degree anti-Duke. Like I said, I don't need much analysis, I've been watching hoops a long long time and I read DBR way too much, so I'd rather be entertained than p!ssed off.

"Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    My favorite announcers are:

1. Bill Walton (pure gonzo)"

Me too That makes 3 of us.