Muhammad Gets Her Own Barbie

Mods, feel free to move this to off-topic if you think that’s appropriate, but when a Duke athlete becomes a global role model, we should take note.

http://people.com/style/ibtihaj-muha...ned-after-her/

For those who don't know (or are bad at google)...

-------------------------
    "Ibtihaj Muhammad (born December 4, 1985) is an American sabre fencer, and a member of the United States fencing team. She is best known for being the first Muslim American woman to wear a hijab while competing for the United States in the Olympics.[1] In individual sabre at the 2016 Summer Olympics, she won her first qualifying round bout, and was defeated in the second round by Cécilia Berder of France. She earned the bronze medal as part of Team USA in the Team Sabre, becoming the first female Muslim-American athlete to earn a medal at the Olympics.

Muhammad attended Duke University, where she received a scholarship.[16] She was a 3-time All-American and the 2005 Junior Olympic Champion.[17][18] Muhammad graduated from Duke University in 2007 with an International Relations and African American Studies double major.[5][19]

Muhammad has been a member of the United States National Fencing Team since 2010. She as of 2016 ranks No. 2 in the United States and No. 8 in the world. She is a 5-time Senior World medalist, including 2014 World Champion in the team event.[20]"
    -------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Mods, feel free to move this to off-topic if you think that’s appropriate, but when a Duke athlete becomes a global role model, we should take note.

Is her Barbie convertible the "Blue Devil?"

blue devil corvette.jpg

Awesome

This is just awesome. Go Duke!!!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wow!

Very cool! Duke offers fencing scholarhips? I didn't know that...

Just found this wonderful video where she talks about how she got started in fencing and not listening when people told her she couldn't/shouldn't fence for reasons besides her abilities.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/video...251717?v=railb

Shero Line?

I don't want to hijack this thread because it certainly is a wonderful accomplishment and fantastic recognition.

I have an issue with Mattel though.

A one-of-a-kind doll made in her likeness was unveiled at Glamour’s Women of the Year Live Summit Monday, as the latest doll in Barbie’s “Shero” line (that would be female heroes), a program that celebrates boundary-breaking women intended to inspire the next generation.

Doesn't it belittle the roster of women and the entire line of products by calling it the Shero line? Why can't they just be heroes? Male heroes aren't categorized by their gender, why do women heroes need to be categorized by their gender? What would happen if they identified male Black or Asian or Jewish heroes with some silly moniker. I understand that this is a marketing tool to attract attention, but I if I were a woman I think I'd be really annoyed.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread because it certainly is a wonderful accomplishment and fantastic recognition.

A one-of-a-kind doll made in her likeness was unveiled at Glamour’s Women of the Year Live Summit Monday, as the latest doll in Barbie’s “Shero” line (that would be female heroes), a program that celebrates boundary-breaking women intended to inspire the next generation.

Doesn't it belittle the roster of women and the entire line of products by calling it the Shero line? Why can't they just be heroes? Male heroes aren't categorized by their gender, why do women heroes need to be categorized by their gender? What would happen if they identified male Black or Asian or Jewish heroes with some silly moniker. I understand that this is a marketing tool to attract attention, but I if I were a woman I think I'd be really annoyed.
    Shouldn't guys be himroes?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Shouldn't guys be himroes?
    Why? Doesn't HEroes say the same thing, although until I read this thread I had never considered that. In my book, a hero can be a man, a woman, a child, a person of age, anyONE who does something extraordinary "to save the day", to quote Mighty Mouse. That character was a hero.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

They could have used heroine.

My guess is that the marketing team is not packed with linguists. I tend to consider these sorts of things to be akin to infantilizing the target customer, but I become less convinced I can understand other people's thinking every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I am a feminist and choose to use "Shero" when referring to women because it feminizes the word, at least in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

uhm, you guys....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars...igure/55335319

spectacular...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    She was a Luke sister, not a Duke athlete, although both were strong with a sabre ..

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Why? Doesn't HEroes say the same thing, although until I read this thread I had never considered that. In my book, a hero can be a man, a woman, a child, a person of age, anyONE who does something extraordinary "to save the day", to quote Mighty Mouse. That character was a hero.
    One could argue it connotes HERoes as well.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016