Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coach Cutcliffe on practice:

Andrea Adelson
    ESPN Staff Writer

Duke coach David Cutcliffe said he had his scout team go live -- including cut blocking -- against his starting defense to simulate what Army does on offense. "I don't think you can stand and stare at that offense to have a chance to stop to it," Cutcliffe said. "We went full tilt, so hopefully that will help us."
    Bob Green

The season ends with three "quality" (probably reaching here) opponents that we match up favorably against. My concern is facing two option, cut-blocking teams in back to back weeks might result in a depleted d-line, but if we win out I think the Independence Bowl is still a distant possibility, meaning my hopes for the 2017 season are still in play:
    1. Beat the goats in Chapel Hole
    2. Win vs. Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC in same season
    3. Two Bowl Game winning streak

This will probably be my last Duke FB post if we lose Saturday, but...I'm saying there's a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukelogger View Post
    The season ends with three "quality" (probably reaching here) opponents that we match up favorably against. My concern is facing two option, cut-blocking teams in back to back weeks might result in a depleted d-line, but if we win out I think the Independence Bowl is still a distant possibility, meaning my hopes for the 2017 season are still in play:

This will probably be my last Duke FB post if we lose Saturday, but...I'm saying there's a chance!
    SEC?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    SEC?
    Depending on a possible bowl opponent, it could happen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    SEC?
    Probably confused with #1 in the list and meant Severely Ethically Challenged.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

White - White - White

The good guys will be wearing all white against the Black Knights!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOM5ECoUEAAzPwn.jpg
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Probably confused with #1 in the list and meant Severely Ethically Challenged.
    Well done. And yes, I meant the highly unlikely pipedream that everything falls into place and we back into a bowl bid matching us up with an SEC team (Shreveport/Birmingham) but now I realize I can use that joke on UNCheat friends for an entire year if (when) we do not play and beat an SEC team in the bowl, so I'm torn. Still, not a bad consolation prize!

I don't see how we match up favorably against either Wake or GT at this point. Both are winnable games, but the offense needs to re-invent itself.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... the offense needs to re-invent itself.
    Joe Gibbs was a famed co-architect of Air Coryell in SD, tried to do it in DC, started 0-5, and so began handing off to John Riggins and deploying an H-back/two TEs. Been thinking we should do the same this year, w/ SW and BB playing the Riggo role, and using all our TEs, and just forget about the WRs for now.

The season really breaks down to Army, GT, and Wake in that order of difficulty. Army is a very confident team and very good at home. Duke is their 2nd most talented opponent on the year behind Ohio State (38-7 L). GT fans are really down on their somewhat enigmatic team. They still need 2 wins of VT, @Duke, and UGA to bowl unless they make up @UCF. Wake is playing much better this year despite our general history of playing them close.

I'm not getting the Indy Bowl vibe, particularly with FSU rescheduling its home game against LA-Monroe on 12/2 in a panic. I've been saying for a while Duke might get a better bowl if it gets snubbed by the ACC, but we really need to be 6-6 instead of 5-7 + a record DBR vigil.

Big game, feeling good. Get it done, gents. Get it done.

If we don't win, we get the N&O to vote us the worst FB team in the ACC next week now that the cheaters won their game this week.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If we don't win, we get the N&O to vote us the worst FB team in the ACC next week now that the cheaters won their game this week.
    We got this one. No worries.

Cold day tomorrow at West Point. High at game time around 32 but, luckily, light winds and plenty of sunshine. Let's hope the team is ready, psychologically and physically, for the colder temps. I like about 1.5 hours north of West Point and very windy and cold today with snow flurries in the air. Brrrrr!

I live in the area but unfortunately can't make the game. I hope plenty of others can make it out. It's a great scene and atmosphere. Enjoy.

Army is definitely a different team than what we've faced the past few years. They are tough and confident and a real threat. With that said, we have to win this game (master of the obvious here). The good thing is that we have actually played well against option teams the past few years (having played both Army and Ga Tech each year the past few years). With our vastly improved defensive line and our depth and talent at linebacker, I expect our defense to play well. Although we have been offensively challenged the past few weeks (as I said, master of the obvious), if we can get a lead against Army, you can pull them out of their comfort zone and force them to have to pass more. Let's get our confidence back, end the losing streak, and get ready to close out the season. There's still time to salvage this season, but it starts Saturday. Get a win, and then we should be feeling good getting ready to play another option attack.

I haven't posted in a few weeks, so just a few other thoughts. I won't get into specific games, but the one thing that has truly amazed and disappointed me is that typically, you see teams progress over the course of the season. Last year, although the record wasn't great, you saw the growth in Jones and the younger players. We've seen a regression with the offense and we haven't seen a real plan to change it or any meaningful progress. That's on the players, but it's also very much on the coaches. They need to assess where the team is at and make adjustments, whether it's personnel, scheme, etc. I feel like we are seeing the same movie each week on offense for the most part (hat off to the defense). Also, I've never seen a team that plays to its weakness and away from its strength the way Duke has. We all know that we have run the ball well. Yet we continue to ignore the running game as a significant weapon. I'm not one that says to just run the ball all day, but play to your strength. Run more to set up the pass, especially when the passing game is not clicking the way it should. If you are not doing a great job pass protecting, or guys need more time to get open, run the ball more, set up more third and shorts, set up play action passes, etc. Possess the ball, help your defense, and wear down the opposing team's defense. I know we are all frustrated about it, but that was my two cents.

With that said, I believe that we can get on track this week. I think that Jones will be able to pass some, I think we will run effectively, and while I believe Army will play tough, I think we have a little too much size and talent and will get a much needed win. But don't assume anything. Time to man up, play to your potential, the coaches better be on it, attack, be aggressive, and take care of business. The season starts Saturday. Let's get it done. Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Army is a very confident team and very good at home.
    This game is very similar to the Duke - Navy game on October 12, 2013 with the obvious exception of Duke being on the road instead of the service academy team. Navy arrived in Durham with a 3-1 record led by a dynamic quarterback (Keenan Reynolds) to face the 3-2 Blue Devils. Duke whipped the Midshipmen 35-7. Navy was a talented team which went on to finish the season 9-4 beating Middle Tennessee State 24-6 in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Army at 7-2 is a talented football team led by a dynamic quarterback (Ahmad Bradshaw) and they have already accepted an invitation to play in the Armed Forces Bowl.

The offense must find a way to string together positive plays to sustain drives and score points. Jumping out to an early lead to force Army to play from behind would create an advantage. The defense is strong against the run so I am confident we can contain Bradshaw especially if we can force him out of his comfort zone by forcing him to pass the ball.

Special teams creating a little magic would be helpful.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This game is very similar to the Duke - Navy game on October 12, 2013 with the obvious exception of Duke being on the road instead of the service academy team. Navy arrived in Durham with a 3-1 record led by a dynamic quarterback (Keenan Reynolds) to face the 3-2 Blue Devils. Duke whipped the Midshipmen 35-7. Navy was a talented team which went on to finish the season 9-4 beating Middle Tennessee State 24-6 in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Army at 7-2 is a talented football team led by a dynamic quarterback (Ahmad Bradshaw) and they have already accepted an invitation to play in the Armed Forces Bowl.

The offense must find a way to string together positive plays to sustain drives and score points. Jumping out to an early lead to force Army to play from behind would create an advantage. The defense is strong against the run so I am confident we can contain Bradshaw especially if we can force him out of his comfort zone by forcing him to pass the ball.

Special teams creating a little magic would be helpful.
    The only way I'm concerned about Duke's defense is if the offense doesn't hold up their end. A tired Duke defense will more than likely mean defeat. Play calling will have to be better, the offensive line must show improvement and Daniel will have to get back to last season's form. Do all three and we should come out on top. Worst case scenario is my branch of the service wins. GoDuke!

"Tangled Up in Blue" came on the car radio as I was driving toward West Point this afternoon. Perhaps a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "Tangled Up in Blue" came on the car radio as I was driving toward West Point this afternoon. Perhaps a good sign.
    Let's hope so. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Joe Gibbs was a famed co-architect of Air Coryell in SD, tried to do it in DC, started 0-5, and so began handing off to John Riggins and deploying an H-back/two TEs. Been thinking we should do the same this year, w/ SW and BB playing the Riggo role, and using all our TEs, and just forget about the WRs for now.
    as good an idea as any...our WRs can't get separation, we have a plethora of good tight ends whom we currently use insufficiently...plus they can block...I did advocate here or TDD a few weeks ago we go with three
    tight ends since at least they could block and couldn't be any worse at pass catching...