Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 43, Georgia Tech 20

Hot off the keyboard.

How'd we get that time?

https://www.diehards.com/acc/acc-foo...-kickoff-times
    Last edited by Bob Green; 11-06-2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added link
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Duke-GT at 3:30

The Atlantic Coast Conference and its television partners announced the following game times and networks for the football games of November 18.

Saturday, Nov. 18
    Virginia at Miami, noon, ABC or ESPN – network designation after the games of Nov. 11
    Delaware State at Florida State, noon, RSN
    The Citadel at Clemson, 12:20 p.m., ACC Network – split window
    Pitt at Virginia Tech, 12:20 p.m., ACC Network – split window
    Western Carolina at North Carolina, 3 p.m., ACC Network Extra
    Syracuse at Louisville, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2 or ESPNU – network designation after the games of Nov. 11
    Georgia Tech at Duke, 3:30 p.m., RSN
    NC State at Wake Forest, 7:30 p.m., ESPNU

a *huge* game

We have a lot to prove:

- want to win every time out;
    - need to stop 6-game losing streak;
    - beat a team we've played every year since 1933;
    - need to show we can play clean football (field kickoffs! don't fumble when not hit! lead the receiver not turn him around on the swing pass! block! gameplan!);
    - senior day;
    - keep a .500 (or above) record and bowl eligibility hopes alive;
    - how cool would it be going to play WFU w/ a bowl on the line;
    - make the always smiling Paul Johnson have a scowl for once.

Go Duke.

I wonder if Cut will put both players and coaches on notice that starting positions and jobs are up for grabs based on the final two games of the season. I have no knowledge that he hasn't already done so, but would love to hear him say so in this week's press conference(s). Gotta light a fire somehow.

Georgia Tech opens as a 5.5 points favorite in Vegas. The line has moved to 6.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Unfortunately, easy money.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I would have expected larger.

I will admit that I was in Clemson Saturday and missed our game. Have it taped, but having trouble bringing myself to watching it.

I hate Paul Johnson. Gotta get this one on so many levels. It ain’t over ‘til the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.

LGD!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It ain’t over ‘til the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.
    How does it feel to be an Independent.... Notre Dame? (After the beat down in FL last night).

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    How does it feel to be an Independent.... Notre Dame?
    Exactly. Hung out to dry.

As long as they stay independent, ND essentially needs to go undefeated. One loss without a conference championship, or a conference lobbying for it, is not an appealing future.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Is that six touchdowns?

As long as they stay independent, ND essentially needs to go undefeated. One loss without a conference championship, or a conference lobbying for it, is not an appealing future.
    I guess $$ stand in the way of ND making the top 4. The $15 million tv contract is likely keeping them from full membership; therefore limiting NC opportunities. The college sports way.

Like to see a win. However this team is a bust. Wait until next year. Like to be proven wrong but the losing streak continues.

Well, not exactly true considering they were #3 with one loss (which was higher than the AP had them). I expect had they only had the one with victories the rest of the way, they would safely be in the top four. I recall arguments in the past that not having a conference championship was advantageous to those teams because they avoided having to beat another high quality opponent. But agreed that the future of that is perhaps tenuous as conference championships are now much more ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, not exactly true considering they were #3 with one loss (which was higher than the AP had them). I expect had they only had the one with victories the rest of the way, they would safely be in the top four. I recall arguments in the past that not having a conference championship was advantageous to those teams because they avoided having to beat another high quality opponent. But agreed that the future of that is perhaps tenuous as conference championships are now much more ubiquitous.
    You're making the mistake of looking at their (prior-to-Miami) current #3 ranking, though. Ask TCU, which was solidly in the Top 4 a couple of years ago until the conference championship games came and then, in a Big XII with no championship game, suddenly TCU ... wasn't.

Duke is banged up from the trip to West Point:

Stephen Wiseman‏
    @stevewisemanNC

Cutcliffe said @BenHumphreys34 will have an MRI to determine extent of lower leg injury. He won't practice today. Cut said doesn't know status for Georgia Tech game yet. But everything points to Humphreys not being available. He was helped off field at Army late in 4th Q
    Stephen Wiseman‏
    @stevewisemanNC

In addition to Ben Humphreys, Cutcliffe said other Duke defensive players up front, like Cerenord, Giles-Harris, are beat up from all the cut blocking option teams like Army employ. "When you watch it (replayed) on the big screen, you're amazed more guys aren't hurting," he said.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    You're making the mistake of looking at their (prior-to-Miami) current #3 ranking, though. Ask TCU, which was solidly in the Top 4 a couple of years ago until the conference championship games came and then, in a Big XII with no championship game, suddenly TCU ... wasn't.
    I think people vastly overreacted to that one situation. One can just as easily imagine a scenario where a team would be safely top 4 without a championship game, but then having a championship causes them to lose and miss out on the playoffs. In fact, I expect that we'll see this happen to Miami this year.

Duke is banged up from the trip to West Point:
    Dumb question (no, not about the band) as some (many?) of mine are:

Is the cut blocking you describe legal or not?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Dumb question (no, not about the band) as some (many?) of mine are:

Is the cut blocking you describe legal or not?
    This is the answer I found after a little searching: A cut block is a type of block when the offensive blocker knocks down the defensive player by hitting his knees. It is often criticized as being dirty and a players cannot cut block a defensive player that is already engaged in a block. That is called a chop block. It is legal to cut block in the nfl, but in the NCAA, you can only cut block no more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and inside the tackle box.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This is the answer I found after a little searching: A cut block is a type of block when the offensive blocker knocks down the defensive player by hitting his knees. It is often criticized as being dirty and a players cannot cut block a defensive player that is already engaged in a block. That is called a chop block. It is legal to cut block in the nfl, but in the NCAA, you can only cut block no more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and inside the tackle box.
    Thanks. I knew chop blocking was illegal but the term "cut block" was a new and somewhat confusing one.

White helmet - blue jersey - white pants combo. A good one.

Nice game start time. Looks like it'll be good weather.

GT - played every year since 1933.

Players still talking about getting to and winning a bowl.

Senior Day.