Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke 116, Bowie St 53 - Post-Game Thread (Pre-Season)

Odd game. Rotations I (mostly) hope we never see again - we were really clueless whenever Grayson was on the bench.

We hit 17 of 22 FTs.

Two Bolden rebounds away from 4 double-doubles.

-jk

I just started watching the replay.

Did someone have a talk with Trent?

A couple of early 3s and no midrange. Nice.

Three things I liked:

1) I think Trent will be able to hit catch and shoot threes very well.
    2) Carter has been overlooked. From my perspective, he looks more polished than our other bigs.
    3) Bolden looked awesome. Small team that was way overmatched but he played BIG and STRONG. He needs to channel his inner animal.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Three things I liked:

1) I think Trent will be able to hit catch and shoot threes very well.
    2) Carter has been overlooked. From my perspective, he looks more polished than our other bigs.
    3) Bolden looked awesome. Small team that was way overmatched but he played BIG and STRONG. He needs to channel his inner animal.
    4) Big to Big passing.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    4) Big to Big passing.
    The most positive thing so far this season, out of many positive things.

Biggest Duke lineup ever seen during a game:

Gary Trent: 6'6"
    Javin DeLaurier: 6'10"
    Wendell Carter: 6'10"
    Marvin Bagley: 6'11"
    Antonio Vrankovic: 7'0"

Then we took two of them out and subbed in with Marques Bolden (6'11") and Justin Robinson (6'9").

Obviously it's hard to draw many conclusions when playing an opponent that overmatched.

But I'll draw them anyway. We looked outstanding.

To those who are saying goodbye to Duke basketball, or DBR, all college hoops or whatever - it's your prerogative to spend your time however you want. Yes the NCAA sucks, OAD sucks, the cheats cheated, etc... But this team is going to be fun to watch, and I don't recommend missing this season. This team could be one for the ages.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    The most positive thing so far this season, out of many positive things.
    The other positive thing among the bigs this year is that they are all finishing with strength. No little in close lay ups or close floaters. I am seeing dunks with emphasis.

I had a jerky video feed in the 2nd half and turned it off with about 9 minutes left.

I am very impressed with Bagley. He has the potential to be really good. Grayson looked good. Most of the guys looked good based on the inferior competition.

I haven't seen Duval yet and think he may be the key to great success this year. If he can run the offense, get the ball inside to the big guys, get the ball to Grayson on the wing - Duke is going to be very good.

I am looking forward to week of games starting on Friday. Go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Obviously it's hard to draw many conclusions when playing an opponent that overmatched.

To those who are saying goodbye to Duke basketball, or DBR, all college hoops or whatever - it's your prerogative to spend your time however you want. Yes the NCAA sucks, OAD sucks, the cheats cheated, etc... But this team is going to be fun to watch, and I don't recommend missing this season. This team could be one for the ages.
    I approve of this message! I could not spork you!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Duval

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I haven't seen Duval yet and think he may be the key to great success this year. If he can run the offense, get the ball inside to the big guys, get the ball to Grayson on the wing - Duke is going to be very good.
    And if he can pressure the other team’s point! He did that very well in the first exhibition.

Duke played Bowie State in an exhibition game four years ago. This was the team with Parker and Hood.

IIRC, Duke led by three at the half.

And Bowie State was picked second in the CIAA North Division. So, there are even more over-matched D-2 teams out there.

And Bagley isn't going to be good. He's already well past good.

It is hard drawing conclusions, but free throws are the same no matter who you play. And that's looking good.

I plan on seeing as many games as I can. Time for Duval O'Connell and Goldwire to accept punishment and get ready on Monday. Character building.

Fun game. Hard to draw comparisons to D1 ACC level teams but they came out and made the result clear from the tip which is what you want from a young team. Bag’s length is just stunning as he moves around the court.
    GA plays at such a high motor but his execution makes basketball look easy.
    Earlier someone said Carter is polished. Absolutely agree. Overshadowed by Bagley and Duval’s commitments but he is a very special player and will be playing basketball for a long time. His game seems ageless.
    Suprised by the minutes in the second half, White and Tucker still not getting the time I thought they might. Especially Tucker based on the recruiting buzz.
    Guessing Javin was held out for something phisical. Nothing big but after the two quick fouls, didn’t get much run so I’m guessing its something. Otherwise it would be the type of game he’d excel at.

Really big wasted opportunity for the three who missed the game. The type of game to really shine and gain valuable experience. Too bad.
    The ceiling is the roof

opponent's press conference

In past years goduke had the opposing coach's press conference linked. Have they discontinued doing this, or is it just because the last two games were exhibitions?

3 guys being out makes it pretty tough to figure out much of anything when it comes to the rotation. Bowie State never had a chance, so definitely some inflated stats, but our guys shared the ball really well and the big lineups looked good. Marques had his best game in a Duke uniform, and Gary continues to look like a veteran. Wendell might be the best inside finisher we've had since Okafor. I think he's a strong favorite to lead the team in FG%.

Coach K's postgame comments did provide a couple of hints:

- He definitely will be playing 3 big lineups with some regularity. I think we all suspected this, but it's further affirmation. He also said we're going to play lots of zone with these lineups.

- He talked about Marvin first when he discussed one of the bigs playing on the perimeter in lineups with 3 bigs. This makes sense with what we've seen so far. Marvin has been handling the ball outside much more consistently than the other bigs, and Coach talked about how he's got to learn to defend on the perimeter now. He's definitely the 3 in those lineups.

- He mentioned needing Trevon and "Jordan coming off the bench" back to get back to the regular rotation, and in the context, I think it was pretty clear that he was talking about Goldwire. So, I think people who are expecting Goldwire to have a role in the rotation might be right.
    Last edited by kAzE; 11-04-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    White and Tucker still not getting the time I thought they might. Especially Tucker based on the recruiting buzz.
    Jordan Tucker was ranked #59 in the RSCI. Not sure I'd characterize that as particularly buzzy. When was the last time a 59th-ranked freshman played big minutes at Duke?

(spoiler alert: no Duke freshman outside the top 35 has averaged double-figure minutes since the RSCI was invented)

Also, I heard Mr. Tucker might be nursing a minor injury.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Guessing Javin was held out for something phisical. Nothing big but after the two quick fouls, didn’t get much run so I’m guessing its something.
    I doubt it was anything more than he sat 10 minutes in the first half with foul trouble and sat the last 7 minutes of the game because we were up by 60.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    So, I think people who are expecting Goldwire to have a role in the rotation might be right.
    I still think the over/under on Jordan G's mpg in 2017-18 is 3. And I'd probably take the under. His over/under in non-blowouts after January 1, I'd put at 1. And I'd still take the under.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I still think the over/under on Jordan G's mpg in 2017-18 is 3. And I'd probably take the under. His over/under in non-blowouts after January 1, I'd put at 1. And I'd still take the under.
    I have him at 3 minutes on my entry, which will probably be more in the blowouts than the serious contests, so I don't disagree. I just thought it was worth pointing out that Coach just specifically mentioned those 2 guys (and not Alex) when he was talking about getting back into a normal rotation.

Clearly, Grayson can be a better point guard than Goldwire, so it's not imperative that he gets minutes.