Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Tonight's the Night!(CTC Blue vs White) Post-Game Thread

That is actually the punch line of a slightly risque joke from years ago, but, after the disappointments of last year, I am ready for the new basketball season. I guess I am a perennial optimist, but I think (absent serious injuries) we could have a great year. Go Duke!
    Last edited by Newton_14; 10-21-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Clarity of Topic
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    That is actually the punch line of a slightly risque joke from years ago
    That joke's downright wholesome for this day and age, really.

...but, after the disappointments of last year, I am ready for the new basketball season. I guess I am a perennial optimist, but I think (absent serious injuries) we could have a great year. Go Duke!
    I'm with you. Very excited about this upcoming season, and I don't think we're alone. I suspect a lot of folks have built a dam to stem their optimism after what happened last season. They're being understandably cautious, for now. But, if Duke beats MSU in the Champions Classic and does it with a healthy team and while playing good defense, the dam will burst. There will be a tidal wave of optimism for this very talented team.

That is actually the punch line of a slightly risque joke from years ago, but, after the disappointments of last year, I am ready for the new basketball season. I guess I am a perennial optimist, but I think (absent serious injuries) we could have a great year. Go Duke!
    Let's see...

A.) A generational 5 star talent at PF that is NBA ready?..................... .....Check
    B.) A 5 star dynamic play making distributor at PG?...................... .......Check
    C.) A senior All-America captain, that can score from anywhere, with something to prove?...Check
    D.) A hall of fame coach that is the G.O.A.T. pulling the strings?.................... Check

72Ade-q1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Wait... Grayson has a co-captain now?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Didn't think about it, but, I think it is a MUST now. I'll notify K.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Wouldn't he be an obvious choice?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I thought it was the title of a Neil Young album.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I have been signing that song to myself all morning after seeing this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I'm stuck with Rod Stewart.

Beat me to it, but, old folks remember (that applies to both of us) that Rust Never Sleeps.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Bruce Berry was a working man. He used to load that Econoline ...
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Yup.

true story: on the tour right after they recorded that album, Neil Young and Crazy Horse were in Germany. The fans thought they would hear his older hits, but they just played the songs on that album for over an hour (for those unfamiliar, it is a very dirge-like album of songs that were inspired by the death of several folks close to the band; the live versions of the songs tended to be extended and a bit dissonant). The crowd was very unhappy, and vocal about it.

At the end of the set, the band came out for the encore. Neil said: "We're gonna play something I know you've all heard before!" The crowd went wild, happy to finally hear the hits they had come to hear.

They instead played another long version of "tonight's the night" for the second time that evening, then walked off.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 10-20-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup.

true story: on the tour right after they recorded that album, Neil Young and Crazy Horse were in Germany. The fans thought they would hear his older hits, but they basically played the songs on that album for over an hour (for those unfamiliar, it is a very dirge-like album of songs that were inspired by the death of several folks close to the band; the live versions of the songs tended to be extended and a bit dissonant). The crowd was very unhappy, and vocal about it.

At the end of the set, the band came out for the encore. Neil said: "We're gonna play something I know you've all heard before!" The crowd went wild, happy to finally hear the hits they had come to hear.

They played another long version of "tonight's the night" for the second time that evening, then walked off.
    Highly recommend this read : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q67KGU...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Covers that era of Neil quite extensively as well as the making of that album.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

The only thing I'm hoping for tonight is a completely injury free game. It's pretty much useless to expect otherwise, but Grayson will probably go 110%, as he always does, but I just hope he can slightly dial it down, as it's a meaningless scrimmage.

Remember when he nearly took out Amile's knees diving for a loose ball last year at CTC? Grayson has become the most stressful Duke player ever to watch that I can remember. But at the same time, he's almost certainly the best player on the team and maybe the best player in the country. Just don't kill yourself, please.

better than being a perineal optimist...ba duh tching!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    better than being a perineal optimist...ba duh tching!
    Or a perineal optometrist. Because that just would not make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Grayson has become the most stressful Duke player ever to watch that I can remember. But at the same time, he's almost certainly the best player on the team and maybe the best player in the country. Just don't kill yourself, please.
    This made me laugh out loud for some reason, I guess because it's true he just goes so damn hard sometimes. Singler threw himself around a lot too but not at the speed / doing the same things that Grayson does. It does come in handy though

Quote Originally Posted by Mrezt View Post
    This made me laugh out loud for some reason, I guess because it's true he just goes so damn hard sometimes. Singler threw himself around a lot too but not at the speed / doing the same things that Grayson does. It does come in handy though
    I just hope he takes it a little easier in CTC this year than he did last year when he almost Gordon-Haywarded Amile, diving into his legs for a loose ball.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I just hope he takes it a little easier in CTC this year than he did last year when he almost Gordon-Haywarded Amile, diving into his legs for a loose ball.
    Oh I totally agree, that scared the **** out of me. I should have clarified it's handy in close, real high pressure games and it can be used effectively, like that dive for the ball in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Honestly, I'd be totally cool with NBA All-Star game level defense. Just let the fans see some scoring and dunking and have everyone go home no worse for the wear . . .