Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Bawlers are at it again

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Bleacher Report (so take it for what that's worth) claims that the Big Baller shoe company could challenge the NCAA's domain in terms of amateur eligibility. I hadn't heard, but i guess it's inevitable, that LaMelo who is still in HS has his own shoe and that by signing with his dad's company could be ruled ineligible by the NCAA.
    Is this for real? or just another way for the limelight seeking father to get himself in the news again? I don't know. This could all be moot if the shoe company goes bankrupt before the kid makes it to college.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

Bleacher Report (so take it for what that's worth) claims that the Big Baller shoe company could challenge the NCAA's domain in terms of amateur eligibility. I hadn't heard, but i guess it's inevitable, that LaMelo who is still in HS has his own shoe and that by signing with his dad's company could be ruled ineligible by the NCAA.
    Is this for real? or just another way for the limelight seeking father to get himself in the news again? I don't know. This could all be moot if the shoe company goes bankrupt before the kid makes it to college.
    I don't think its moot if he takes money/endorsements/etc. Shoe companies are allowed to sponsor teams and whatnot, but if even if the company goes under in 6 months he could lose his amateur status the second he starts getting paid and taking endorsement money (I think...I'm sure swood and others will chime in here).

They could always hire the unCheats lawyers. GoDuke!

who cares? the ncaa proved last friday they have no testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    who cares? the ncaa proved last friday they have no testicles.
    Hmmm...tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I don't think its moot if he takes money/endorsements/etc. Shoe companies are allowed to sponsor teams and whatnot, but if even if the company goes under in 6 months he could lose his amateur status the second he starts getting paid and taking endorsement money (I think...I'm sure swood and others will chime in here).
    Could be a gray area if his father owns the shoe company and also runs the aau team. So I guess he'd be paying himself, and the kid wouldn't technically be receiving money directly?

For the record, Marvin Bagley's father also coaches an AAU team, and has undoubtedly received plenty of sponsorship money from shoe companies. As K said in his press conference, these kids are a business from the time they're in high school.

They'd have a very good case against the NCAA.

I don't have a problem with what LaVar is doing. He's doing this to help his kids. More power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    They'd have a very good case against the NCAA.

I don't have a problem with what LaVar is doing. He's doing this to help his kids. More power to him.
    Seems to me LaVar is doing all this for LaVar.

The hype isn't really doing his kids much of a favor:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/p...g-down-rookie/

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Seems to me LaVar is doing all this for LaVar.

The hype isn't really doing his kids much of a favor:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/p...g-down-rookie/
    An NBA 1st team all-star defender shutting down a rookie who would be a sophomore in college really says absolutely nothing.
    Lonzo's name is all over the place. Front page everywhere. His kids have their own sneakers, which receive free marketing from the media. He's playing this extremely well.

Looks like LaVarr has shot back at Beverly with some trash talk of his own.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...hot-lonzo-ball

He's doing whatever he can to get the family's name in the media, get people talking about him. And it's working. It reminds me of when Howard Stern first came on the air. Everyone talked about how offensive he was and how much they hated hearing about him, yet those same people listened to him.

Is it hurting his sons' careers to have a father with such a loud mouth? Well, Lonzo just got drafted #2, probably a few spots higher than he deserved, and was made the face of the Lakers franchise. The middle kid has a scholarship to UCLA even though he's not very good, and the youngest kid has eight trillion instagram followers as a 16 year old. So they're doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Looks like LaVarr has shot back at Beverly with some trash talk of his own.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...hot-lonzo-ball

He's doing whatever he can to get the family's name in the media, get people talking about him. And it's working. It reminds me of when Howard Stern first came on the air. Everyone talked about how offensive he was and how much they hated hearing about him, yet those same people listened to him.

Is it hurting his sons' careers to have a father with such a loud mouth? Well, Lonzo just got drafted #2, probably a few spots higher than he deserved, and was made the face of the Lakers franchise. The middle kid has a scholarship to UCLA even though he's not very good, and the youngest kid has eight trillion instagram followers as a 16 year old. So they're doing okay.
    LaVarr's mouth is writing checks his sons might find hard to cash.

The "shoe company" is entirely bogus, how many have been sold?

It could easily be argued that the sons would be exactly where they are without LaVar's self-promotion, including the middle kid getting a scholly to entice the youngest to sign on.

LaVarr's mouth is writing checks his sons might find hard to cash.

The "shoe company" is entirely bogus, how many have been sold?

It could easily be argued that the sons would be exactly where they are without LaVar's self-promotion, including the middle kid getting a scholly to entice the youngest to sign on.
    Lonzo's cashing checks just fine. Right now, his kids are in a great position to be very successful in life. Hard to find any fault with his parenting at this point based on the evidence. I think some people just have trouble with the fact that he's outspoken.

Lonzo's cashing checks just fine. Right now, his kids are in a great position to be very successful in life. Hard to find any fault with his parenting at this point based on the evidence. I think some people just have trouble with the fact that he's outspoken.
    some might say a bald faced liar. but whatevs

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    some might say a bald faced liar. but whatevs
    Yeah, I don't think the guy really cares what those people say.

I have no problem with what he's doing. Hasn't hurt anyone, his kids are successful, and they stay out of trouble. He's doing something right.

True, but it could also be argued that Patrick Beverly would have worked just as hard defending Lonzo even without his dad running his mouth.

I have no problem with what he's doing. Hasn't hurt anyone, his kids are successful, and they stay out of trouble. He's doing something right.
    honestly, i don't either. I find him irritating and self-serving, but thems the shakes these days. I've never heard a single negative thing from or about Lonzo or any of the others, so you're right, he's doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    True, but it could also be argued that Patrick Beverly would have worked just as hard defending Lonzo even without his dad running his mouth.
    True dat.

What all-star defensive stopper is not going to want to shut down the #2 pick in the draft? Boggles the mind that Lonzo's dad has anything to do with it.

Sure, to people like this, ANY press is good press.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Sure, to people like this, ANY press is good press.
    A friend of mine once told me that, in business and over a period of time, the only bad press is your obituary.

Kobe weighs in with some support but stresses the need for a quality product:

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news...-baller-brand/