Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dahntay is the greatest, sort of.

According to the Washington Post,

The least distinguished careers in NBA history
    Who’s done the least with the most seasons played?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...mepage%2Fstory

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    According to the Washington Post,

The least distinguished careers in NBA history
    Who’s done the least with the most seasons played?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...mepage%2Fstory
    At least we still have Joe Wolf to kick around, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

You now what else Dahntay Jones has? An NBA ring.

I'm a fan.

Take it as an honor. The NBA is a cut-throat meritocracy--there's always another guy in the D-League (or G-League) or Europe who's working his tail off to make the NBA, and then you get a new crop of rookies every year. If you can bring a particular talent and refine it such that NBA teams want to employ you for nine seasons? You're a obviously doing something right.

Congrats to NBA champion Dahntay Jones. Hope he can sign up somewhere for one more season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    You now what else Dahntay Jones has? An NBA ring.

I'm a fan.
    But so does James McAdoo (actually, he has two of them). I'm not sure this argument holds a lot of water...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    But so does James McAdoo (actually, he has two of them). I'm not sure this argument holds a lot of water...
    As does Mark Madsen. And Chuck Nevitt has one...

Boy, do I wish I could have had a "crappy" career at the pinnacle of my profession, to the tune of $18 million over 13 years.
    The entire premise of the column is asinine.

Of the several billion people who have played basketball, he is currently among the 500 best in the world.

How would you rank in your chosen profession worldwide?

Entertaining article, but there is ZERO shame in being a 10+ NBA veteran.

Dante is a winner in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Take it as an honor. The NBA is a cut-throat meritocracy--there's always another guy in the D-League (or G-League) or Europe who's working his tail off to make the NBA, and then you get a new crop of rookies every year. If you can bring a particular talent and refine it such that NBA teams want to employ you for nine seasons? You're a obviously doing something right.

Congrats to NBA champion Dahntay Jones. Hope he can sign up somewhere for one more season.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDevil View Post
    Of the several billion people who have played basketball, he is currently among the 500 best in the world.

My thoughts exactly. It may not seem like much of an "honor" at first but he deserves a lot of credit for scraping and hustling to keep his NBA career going for quite a long time. Plus, he has made a decent pile of money along the way. All the more power to him!

I would be careful to define my "profession" so precisely that there would be fewer than 500 people in it -- then I could claim "top 500."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I appreciate the article and the care and detail the author went into. But -- maybe this is just me -- but looking at the list from 1 to 20 -- I couldn't tell if #1 or #20 was the "worst of the worst" of the "best of the worst."

I did note that 7-5 Chuck Nevitt played only 826 minutes in nine seasons (although some were apparently less than full seasons).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Randy Livingston is high up on that list (2.3 win shares in 11 seasons). Every time I see his name I think of what he could have been. He was one of the greatest high school point guards ever, ranked as the #1 player in his class.

In high school he was the kid who could do anything he wanted on the floor. If his team needed scoring, he was a lethal shooter and had the hops to get to the rim and finish over much taller players. If the opposition double or triple teamed him, he was a savant passing the ball, expertly finding teammates with passes they could barely see coming but which led to easy buckets. He was a psychic on defense, picking pockets or intercepting passes with ease.

Like I said, he was the #1 player in his class... a class that included Rasheed Wallace, Jerry Stackhouse, Jacque Vaughn, and other great players.

And then he blew out his knee while playing pick up basketball over the summer and he was never the same. Not even close. The fact that he scraped out a 10+ year NBA career is a miracle given how bad his knee injury was.

-Jason "what might have been... I saw Livingston play in high school once... and it was simply unreal" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

WaPo won't let me read the article, but our almost Blue Devil, one Adonal Foyle, must be on the list, right (not that I really know what the list represents...).

Thirteen years in the league, I'd say by comparison Dahntay was a superstar*. (edit: foyle average 4.1ppg, dahntay 5.4, in your face, Adonal!)

*ok, i exaggerated.

What is Nazr Mohammed doing on that list? He had several years where he was a very useful NBA player. He was a starting center for much of his career (350+ starts) who did a decent job grabbing rebounds (5+ rpg in 7 seasons) and protecting the rim (8 seasons with a strong 3.5%+ block percentage).

His win shares per season only looks really low because he stuck around a while late in his career doing next to nothing. He had 5 seasons where his win shares were higher than 3.5. By comparison, Avery Bradley (3.1), Dwayne Wade (3.4), Derrick Favors (2.7), Rodney Hood (2.6), Willie Cauley-Stein (2.9), Nick Young (3.2), Devin Booker (2.0) and plenty of other very solid NBA players had less than 3.5 win shares last season.

-Jason "the more I look at that article, the more silly it seems" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I appreciate the article and the care and detail the author went into. But -- maybe this is just me -- but looking at the list from 1 to 20 -- I couldn't tell if #1 or #20 was the "worst of the worst" of the "best of the worst."

I did note that 7-5 Chuck Nevitt played only 826 minutes in nine seasons (although some were apparently less than full seasons).
    Chuck Nevitt currently works where I work. I see him walking around now and then.

Where is Damien Wilkins on this list? 13 seasons, 12.2 WS, 6.3 ppg.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...wilkida02.html

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    At least we still have Joe Wolf to kick around, too.
    Unfortunately, his buddy Dave Popson didn't even make the list.

There are other players from the 1987 NBA draft whom we have seen over the years, including Billy Donovan and Rickie Winslow.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Where is Damien Wilkins on this list? 13 seasons, 12.2 WS, 6.3 ppg.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...wilkida02.html
    It is like the folks who wrote that article barely did any research.

Alan Anderson - 7.4 WS in 8 seasons
    Randy Foye - 23.5 WS in 11 seasons
    Joel Anthony - 15.3 WS in 10 seasons
    Jamal Tinsley - 17.2 WS in 11 seasons
    Mike James - 22.3 WS in 13 seasons
    But they all pale in comparison to Melvin Ely... 4.0 WS in 9 seasons. That's impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I would be careful to define my "profession" so precisely that there would be fewer than 500 people in it -- then I could claim "top 500."
    I doubt 500 people have as many sporks as you do, so just run with that.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    What argument? I'm just pointing out that he may have the least distinguished career, but he has a ring as consolation.

So he's kinda like Chucky Brown (holds the record for most different NBA teams played for)...12 teams (with twice in Charlotte and Cleavland)...and is the second player to win an NBA title and CBA title in the same season!

Chucky Brown sports an impressive 19.0 WS.