Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    "Meanwhile... anyone have any idea when we might see Seth or Jabari on a NBA court again? Two of the best Dukies in the NBA and injuries have ruined this entire season thus far" Evans
    Jabari's return seems imminent as there were reports of him working out with the Bucks D-League team. I saw another article this weekend saying Seth's odd leg inflammation has the med staff vexed and they are considering surgery, or not...no one seems to know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I saw another article this weekend saying Seth's odd leg inflammation has the med staff vexed and they are considering surgery, or not...no one seems to know what to do.
    Will be really interesting to see what happens with Seth if he is unable to play all year. He's a free agent after this season (made just $3 mil this season) and if he had a year like he did last year, he'd be in line for a biiiig new deal in a league that really values outside shooters (I could have seen him making $10+ mil a year if he had duplicated last season). My bet is that someone will sign him to a 1 year deal with a couple years of lucrative options to see if he is able to come back to what he was.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Luke settling in in Detroit

Stan Van Gundy isn’t trading Luke Kennard
    Detroit pursued an Evan Fournier deal, but that would’ve been hard to execute without Reggie Jackson’s contract included -- even if Detroit decided to include promising rookie Luke Kennard.
    “Decided to include” is trade-speak for “We asked for this guy, and the other team said no.”
    This is an interesting development for the Pistons. Luke Kennard has clearly exceeded SVG’s draft expectations - he’s now a member of the rotation over Van Gundy’s Day 1 free-agent signing. It’s doubtful Kennard is untouchable, but it’s a pleasant surprise that he’s already being both asked about by other teams and shot down over by the Piston
    https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2018/...de-rumors-2018

WOW! For those not watching the Cleveland-Minnesota game, Tyus just THREW IT DOWN on LeBron James! LBJ was trying to track him down for a chasedown block in transition (actually, James had just gotten Tyus pretty good with a block just a couple minutes ago), and Tyus just went for it! Just incredible.

Edit - Here's the video: https://streamable.com/x5b5f. GET IT, TYUS! (For additional funny context, LeBron called Tyus "Tyler" in a pregame interview.) This is definitely one for the career highlight reel.

Tyus + Jah, again

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    WOW! For those not watching the Cleveland-Minnesota game, Tyus just THREW IT DOWN on LeBron James! LBJ was trying to track him down for a chasedown block in transition (actually, James had just gotten Tyus pretty good with a block just a couple minutes ago), and Tyus just went for it! Just incredible.

Edit - Here's the video: https://streamable.com/x5b5f. GET IT, TYUS! (For additional funny context, LeBron called Tyus "Tyler" in a pregame interview.) This is definitely one for the career highlight reel.

That's great! Don't think Lebron will forget his name again.

How about a great Player's Tribune piece by Jahlil?
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ja...on-your-radar/

Sounds like he's grown a lot. Hopefully he's able to work on the deficiencies he realized in his game. No reason he can't be a valuable part of a team's rotation.

I’m a big Tyus Stones fan but...come on. That was nothing close to a throw down on LBJ. That was a breakaway dunk with no one in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I’m a big Tyus Stones fan but...come on. That was nothing close to a throw down on LBJ. That was a breakaway dunk with no one in front of him.
    If we are grading on a Tyus-LeBron curve (and we are), it definitely counts.

Is that Wade he pick pocketed?

Tyus' ability to anticipate and use his long arms to get steals is unreal. He is likely among the top 5 defensive PGs in basketball at this point. In the 10 games this season where he has played starter minutes (25+ mins) he is averaging 3 steals per game. He leads the entire NBA in steals/minutes played this season.

Oh, and the TWolves absolutely destroyed the Cavs tonight. Tyus had 8 assists and only 1 turnover. He had 2 steals and 6 points. His plus minus was +36. Not a bad evening.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Tyus didn't dunk OVER Lebron, but he did dunk ON Lebron.

That's why the crowd went wild. That's why you can find the dunk using the search string "tyus jones dunks on Lebron": https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...unks+on+lebron . That's why articles on sports sites are calling it Lebron getting dunked on by Tyus.

Lebron went up to block the shot... and got dunked on. By Tyus.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Tyus didn't dunk OVER Lebron, but he did dunk ON Lebron.

That's why the crowd went wild. That's why you can find the dunk using the search string "tyus jones dunks on Lebron": https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...unks+on+lebron . That's why articles on sports sites are calling it Lebron getting dunked on by Tyus.

Lebron went up to block the shot... and got dunked on. By Tyus.
    I don’t care what people are calling it. If that’s our criteria for dunked on, the bar is pretty low. Any other player and no one would of said that. It’s only because Lebron is known for chase down blocks. He was clearly behind Tyus the whole time and never made up enough ground. So are we now going to call out every player who is behind someone on a dunk?

I don’t care what people are calling it. If that’s our criteria for dunked on, the bar is pretty low. Any other player and no one would of said that. It’s only because Lebron is known for chase down blocks. He was clearly behind Tyus the whole time and never made up enough ground. So are we now going to call out every player who is behind someone on a dunk?
    I agree. I think I'm pretty well-known in my distaste for LeBron, but that's not getting dunked on. And pretty much nobody in the NBA would call that getting dunked on. In fact, the former NBA guys on either TNT or ESPN (can't remember - but pretty sure one was Jalen Rose) were debating getting dunked on. Jalen Rose (pretty sure it was him) said he'd never been dunked on. Somebody sent a clip of him supposedly getting dunked on. It was a clip fairly similar to this Jones dunk: Rose is behind the player who dunks. Rose says "that isn't me getting dunked on". And the other former player (can't remember who) agreed.

Jones' dunk was super-exciting, especially following getting blocked and stared down earlier by James (high-class move by LeBron to stare down the much smaller Jones while blocking him - all while losing by 15+ points). But he didn't dunk on James. James was never in between Jones and the rim, which is pretty much the key ingredient for a dunk to be a dunk on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ... he didn't dunk on James. James was never in between Jones and the rim, which is pretty much the key ingredient for a dunk to be a dunk on someone.
    So you make no distinction between "dunked ON" and "dunked OVER"?

For me, if I hear that someone "dunked on" someone, it just means they were contesting it in some way. "Dunked over" means the scenario you described where the defender was between the dunker and the hoop. As an undergrad playing pickup, when Grant Hill blew past me and dunked, I still got to tell the story of how Grant dunked on me

I'll take Pedantism for $1000, Alex!

Call it what you want, but I'd buy that dunk on a poster.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post

For me, if I hear that someone "dunked on" someone, it just means they were contesting it in some way. "Dunked over" means the scenario you described where the defender was between the dunker and the hoop. As an undergrad playing pickup, when Grant Hill blew past me and dunked, I still got to tell the story of how Grant dunked on me
    I think of dunked on and dunked over as the same thing, just different words. This dunk was neither. Still an awesome highlight, but if you are trailing the play, you aren't getting dunked on, dunked over, etc.

But Tyus didn’t blow past Lebron. He was far ahead on a breakaway. Lebron didn’t make enough of the ground up. What if Lebron would of stopped at the free throw line? Still dunked on?

But Tyus didn’t blow past Lebron. He was far ahead on a breakaway. Lebron didn’t make enough of the ground up. What if Lebron would of stopped at the free throw line? Still dunked on?
    Right, I'm at least willing to acknowledge the idea of "dunked on" including beating your man off the dribble and dunking. I don't particularly like it, but that's at least a reasonable extension. But this was none of the above. LeBron was never guarding Jones, never in position to defend Jones. It was a breakaway dunk with LeBron closing in from behind. But not a dunk on LeBron.

Okay, done defending LeBron. Gonna have to go take a shower now.

Quote Originally Posted by huey View Post
    That's great! Don't think Lebron will forget his name again.

How about a great Player's Tribune piece by Jahlil?
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ja...on-your-radar/

Sounds like he's grown a lot. Hopefully he's able to work on the deficiencies he realized in his game. No reason he can't be a valuable part of a team's rotation.
    Man, I don't know if I've ever wanted a former Dukie to prove the NBA wrong as much as Jah (well, Jah and Quinn and Stones and Amile and Seth and... nevermind.) Kid's been through so much. Great article.

If Lebron had stopped at the free throw line then no, I wouldn't say he had been dunked on. But that's not what Lebron did - he tried hard to stop that dunk, and his hand got within a small distance of the ball before Tyus dunked it. I call that getting dunked on, with the understood caveat that it's a far cry from dunking over him.

If Lebron had stopped at the free throw line then no, I wouldn't say he had been dunked on. But that's not what Lebron did - he tried hard to stop that dunk, and his hand got within a small distance of the ball before Tyus dunked it. I call that getting dunked on, with the understood caveat that it's a far cry from dunking over him.
    Can one "dunk on" a dead horse?

I would think most pros could "dunk over" a dead horse.