View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 domestic boxoffice films of winter 2017?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11/01 A Bad Moms Christmas

0 0%
  • 11/03 Thor: Ragnarok

51 96.23%
  • 11/10 Daddy's Home 2

2 3.77%
  • 11/10 Murder on the Orient Express

2 3.77%
  • 11/17 Justice League

53 100.00%
  • 11/23 Coco

24 45.28%
  • 12/15 Ferdinand

9 16.98%
  • 12/15 Star Wars: The Last Jedi

53 100.00%
  • 12/20 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

12 22.64%
  • 12/22 Downsizing

0 0%
  • 12/22 Pitch Perfect 3

6 11.32%
  • 02/16 Black Panther

38 71.70%
  • Field

15 28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Top Movies of Winter 2017

I'm going to post the Winter poll very soon but I wanted to ask a question first.

Like always, the contest will start with the first movies of November (Thor: Ragnarok). My question is, when should we end it? Sometimes we say it ends with movies released in January, but last year we allowed films through the middle of February so we could include a couple strong contenders in that month (Fifty Shades 2 and Lego Batman). Early February again gives us a couple contenders this year with Cloverfield 3, Fifty Shades 3, and Black Panther. Plus, January seems kinda weak with contenders (The Post is the only film I would consider that month).

So, I am thinking I will include Mid-Feb films in the contest. Any other opinions?

-Jason "feel free to PM me or post your response here" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm going to post the Winter poll very soon but I wanted to ask a question first.

Like always, the contest will start with the first movies of November (Thor: Ragnarok). My question is, when should we end it? Sometimes we say it ends with movies released in January, but last year we allowed films through the middle of February so we could include a couple strong contenders in that month (Fifty Shades 2 and Lego Batman). Early February again gives us a couple contenders this year with Cloverfield 3, Fifty Shades 3, and Black Panther. Plus, January seems kinda weak with contenders (The Post is the only film I would consider that month).

So, I am thinking I will include Mid-Feb films in the contest. Any other opinions?

I will vote and lose either way.

I say include early February. Winter doesn't end until March, right?

Death Wish has been pushed to March. Here is a list of wide releases by month:

11/01 A Bad Moms Christmas
    11/03 Thor: Ragnarok
    11/10 Daddy's Home 2
    11/10 Murder on the Orient Express
    11/17 Justice League
    11/17 The Star
    11/17 Wonder
    11/23 Chappaquiddick
    11/23 Coco
    11/23 Molly's Game
    11/23 Polaroid

12/08 Just Getting Started
    12/15 Ferdinand
    12/15 Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    12/20 Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
    12/22 Downsizing
    12/22 Father Figures
    12/22 Pitch Perfect 3
    12/27 The Greatest Showman

01/05 Insidious: The Last Key
    01/12 The Commuter
    01/12 Paddington 2
    01/12 Proud Mary
    01/19 Den of Thieves
    01/19 Horse Soldiers
    01/26 Extinction
    01/26 Forever My Girl
    01/26 Maze Runner: The Death Cure
    01/26 White Boy Rick

02/02 [Untitled Cloverfield Sequel]
    02/09 Fifty Shades Freed
    02/09 The Hurricane Heist
    02/09 Peter Rabbit
    02/16 Black Panther
    02/16 Early Man
    02/16 Samson
    02/23 Annihilation
    02/23 The War with Grandpa
    02/23 Winchester

I see at least 12 solid poll choices in November and December, and maybe another 6 in January and February. You could go either way: a tight 2-month contest with no Field option, or a sprawling 4-month contest with a Field option (like last summer).

So, I am thinking I will include Mid-Feb films in the contest.
    Sounds good to me.

3 of these films look like absolute locks to me.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Here is a list of wide releases by month:

11/10 Daddy's Home 2
    11/17 Justice League
    11/17 The Star
    11/17 Wonder
    11/23 Chappaquiddick
    11/23 Coco
    11/23 Molly's Game
    11/23 Polaroid

12/08 Just Getting Started
    12/15 Ferdinand
    12/22 Downsizing
    12/22 Father Figures
    12/22 Pitch Perfect 3
    12/27 The Greatest Showman

01/05 Insidious: The Last Key
    01/12 The Commuter
    01/12 Paddington 2
    01/12 Proud Mary
    01/19 Den of Thieves
    01/19 Horse Soldiers
    01/26 Extinction
    01/26 Forever My Girl
    01/26 Maze Runner: The Death Cure
    01/26 White Boy Rick

02/02 [Untitled Cloverfield Sequel]
    02/09 Fifty Shades Freed
    02/09 The Hurricane Heist
    02/09 Peter Rabbit
    02/16 Black Panther
    02/16 Early Man
    02/16 Samson
    02/23 Annihilation
    02/23 The War with Grandpa
    02/23 Winchester

I see at least 12 solid poll choices in November and December, and maybe another 6 in January and February. You could go either way: a tight 2-month contest with no Field option, or a sprawling 4-month contest with a Field option (like last summer).
    Good research and a good list, but you left a few out.

11/17 Roman J. Israel Esq. which stars Denzel Washington (limited release on 11/3 with wide release on 11/17)
    11/24 The Current War is supposed to start with a limited release, but will certainly go wide at some point. Some Oscar buzz on this film.
    12/8 All The Money in the World with Mark Whalberg, Kevin Spacey, and directed by Ridley Scott. It is the story of the kidnapping of J Paul Getty III.
    12/8 The Shape of Water from Guillermo del Toro, a fantasy film that is getting a lot of Oscar buzz and it being called del Toro's best film since Pan Labyrinth
    12/8 The Disaster Artist with Dave Franco, Seth Rogen, Zac Effron, and directed by James Franco. It starts out limited but goes wide on 12/8.
    1/12 The Post with Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep and directed by Stephen Spielberg (ummm, WOW!!) gets a wide release after a limited run to qualify for the Oscars
    2/16 Show Dogs which features the voices of Ludacris, Stanley Tucci, Alan Cumming, Gabriel Iglesias, and Shaquille O’Neal as the dogs. 'Nuf said.

Oh, and the Untitled Cloverfield Sequel is supposedly going to the called The God Particle.

-Jason "I think The Post has a non-zero chance of being a contender in our contest" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ok, so I have opened the poll for the winter contest. It will end in 18 days, so your picks must be in a week before the first films open.

Here are the films, sorted by release date:
    11/10 Daddy's Home 2
    11/17 Justice League
    11/23 Coco
    12/15 Ferdinand
    12/22 Downsizing
    12/22 Pitch Perfect 3
    02/16 Black Panther

Worth noting, I tried to limit the number of named films to make the field seem more attractive. There are some really good films in the field including The Post, The Greatest Showman, Molly's Game, Fifty Shades 3, Cloverfield 3, and several others.

-Jason "vote away and, as alwsys, post your picks so we can discuss them" Evans

There are some really good films in the field including ... Fifty Shades 3
    Did you just call Fifty Shades 3 a really good film?

I think this is a case of first mover disadvantage...

I know Ready Player One is coming out in March. I’m personally very excited for that film, but was wondering if it’s too late for this poll or if you don’t think it will be that big of a money maker to put it on the poll.

Wondering if anyone had any opinions about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I think this is a case of first mover disadvantage...
    Can you clarify what you mean by this comment?

How did I miss Cloverfield 2? I really enjoyed the first one, but had no idea there was a 2nd and about to be a 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoflurane View Post
    I know Ready Player One is coming out in March. I’m personally very excited for that film, but was wondering if it’s too late for this poll or if you don’t think it will be that big of a money maker to put it on the poll.

Wondering if anyone had any opinions about this one.
    Yeah, I already had a bit of a debate about including a couple February films in the contest. March is certainly too far out to be a part of the poll. If we were including March, then films like A Wrinkle in Time, Red Sparrow, and perhaps even Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2 would be under legitimate consideration for the contest, in addition to Ready Player One.

-Jason "I too am excited for Ready Player One, though I bet the movie is very different from the book due to the challenges getting the rights to all those 1980s pop icons" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    How did I miss Cloverfield 2? I really enjoyed the first one, but had no idea there was a 2nd and about to be a 3rd.
    You didn't hear about 10 Cloverfield Lane? It wasn't really a sequel to Cloverfield other than the fact that it is set in the same universe. I think 10 Cloverfield Lane is a better film than the original.

Nevermind, I remember now, they weren't called "cloverfield" but something else. They weren't direct sequels but supposed to have taken place in the same realm, with the promise of Abrams potentially one day connecting them all. Is this the one that is supposed to connect all the movies? Or just more clever marketing by Abrams?

Ok, so I have opened the poll for the winter contest. It will end in 18 days, so your picks must be in a week before the first films open.

Here are the films, sorted by release date:
    11/10 Daddy's Home 2
    11/17 Justice League
    11/23 Coco
    12/15 Ferdinand
    12/22 Downsizing
    12/22 Pitch Perfect 3
    02/16 Black Panther

Worth noting, I tried to limit the number of named films to make the field seem more attractive. There are some really good films in the field including The Post, The Greatest Showman, Molly's Game, Fifty Shades 3, Cloverfield 3, and several others.

-Jason "vote away and, as alwsys, post your picks so we can discuss them" Evans
    So, I forgot to clarify about the rules.

• You may pick any film is the poll. If you pick field, then you are picking any unnamed film released between 11/1 and 2/28.
    • The contest will close as soon as it is clear which films will be the top 5 boxoffice winners. I am betting things will be clear by early March.
    • Make sure you vote for 5 films in the poll. Going 4-for-4 is no better than going 4-for-5. Don't pick 6. Even if you go 6-for-6, you will not be eligible for consideration as the winner.
    • Domestic boxoffice is the only metric we are counting.

-Jason "I think that's all you need to know. If you have any questions, feel free to post them and I will answer" Evans

-Jason "I too am excited for Ready Player One, though I bet the movie is very different from the book due to the challenges getting the rights to all those 1980s pop icons" Evans
    I watched a breakdown of the trailer the other day, and was actually encouraged about the amount of references. No idea about some of the big ones that weren’t in the trailer, but the attention to detail in what was shown was impressive.

And for the record, while the trailer did a decent job of showing the different references, if you haven’t read the book, you would have absolutely no clue what that movie is about.

...sorry to derail the topic.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-09-2017 at 03:54 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You didn't hear about 10 Cloverfield Lane? It wasn't really a sequel to Cloverfield other than the fact that it is set in the same universe. I think 10 Cloverfield Lane is a better film than the original.
    Odd timing for this conversation since I just watched it last night on Prime for the first time. I liked it a lot, even though it is literally a confined film. (Good way to keep your budget small!) John Goodman was excellent.
    After I watched it, I did some looking into #3 (God Particle), and it seems that is also not a sequel but set in the Cloververse. It looks like it has its roots in a video game that has been transcribed to the big screen. We'll see how it fares, but since it isn't a sequel to either #1 or #2, then like #2, I don't expect it to make enough of a show to impact our poll.
    Not sure which I'd rather see a sequel to first, Cloverfield or 10 Cloverfield Lane. Both are deserving.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've got confidence in three movies.
    Last Jedi, Thor, and Justice League, in that order.
    I can't bank on Pixar anymore, and I while I am excited about the look of the Jumanji reboot, it is right on the heels of Star Wars, and right in front of Pitch Perfect 3. It won't win its opening weekend, and may not come in 2nd in its second weekend. That's a hard spot to fill.
    Still, those last two would be my leans to round out the top 5. (Jumanji and PP3, or PP3 and the field.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."