View Poll Results: What's the big picture nature of "The Problem" and it's solution?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • There's a problem, but it doesn't affect enough players to be worth wholesale change.

14 14.14%
  • There's a problem, but it's an NBA problem and there's nothing the NCAA can do about it.

21 21.21%
  • There's a problem, and the NCAA needs to do what they can to address it.

61 61.62%
  • There isn't a problem.

3 3.03%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Pay for Play" a.k.a. "One and Done" a.k.a. "The Problem"

There's been lots of discussion on threads about these issues. I'd like to get a sense of where we stand.
    Let's go Duke!

IMO, the NBA needs to allow players to go pro out of high school. It wouldn't fix the problem entirely, and it would create some new problems, but I think All things considered, it's a net positive.

The love of money is the root of all evil...the NBA, NCAA, AAU programs, shoe companies, agents, financial "advisors," crooked coaches, athletic directors, university admins are all branches that have grown from this tree. When potential money gains outweigh any other motives for most involved in a process, that process becomes corrupt. Basketball is not exempt.

None of the options is a vote for paying players. Option 3 is true for people who think that the NCAA should be more vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    None of the options is a vote for paying players. Option 3 is true for people who think that the NCAA should be more vigilant.
    Exactly. I'm trying to go "bigger picture" since all other discussions get bogged down in "Where's the money coming from?" and "what players get how much?"
    Let's go Duke!

The model is generally good and workable for players, schools and fans. It needs better regulation and enforcement.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    I voted for #3 with "doing something" being paying the players. I have no doubt that NC State is a loser in the "pay for play" world...but that's ok with me.

Coack K on Changes Needed in College Hoops

Article by Jeff Goodman on ESPN site.

Money quotes:

Krzyzewski, 70, is in favor of players being able to go to the NBA out of high school and reiterated his desire for someone to run college basketball, but he also said Tuesday that several organizations -- including the NBA, the players' association, the shoe companies and those from college -- need to get together to make improvements in the game because there has been "no progress" recently.

"The landscape of college basketball for the player, from middle school to high school to college to the pros, keeps changing," Krzyzewski said. "We in college have not changed as much as the landscape has changed...
    Coach also said that a speaking invitation had been canceled because the organization "did not want anyone involved in college basketball."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Let them go straight out of High School but if they sign on the dotted line at a college. 3 years just like baseball. Now many kids would declare early & they would no doubt lose out because they were not ready but over time maybe wiser decisions would be made. Look how many declare early now that do not get drafted or get drafted in the second round with no guarantee.

I propose that when discussing this issue, each person's proposal should contain at least one genuinely new idea. Everyone should be required to begin her/his post with, "Here's an idea no one has mentioned before:" If it's not new, the poster pays a quarter to DBR and has to write an essay no longer than his post explaining how to solve Middle East peace.

It's not that the topic isn't interesting (it is) or important (oh howdy) or ripe for valuable insights (where better than here?). It's just that after a while... well... you know.

Gee, Middle East peace may be easier...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The model is generally good and workable for players, schools and fans. It needs better regulation and enforcement.
    agreed. there is one big flaw in the model though, and that is imposed on the NCAA by the NBA. If players could go to the NBA directly, as they could in the days of yore, then much of the temptation would evaporate. But there was crookedness before OAD, and there would be again if it goes away.
    Reg & the Enforcer, certainly not an accurate name for a super-hero movie starring the NCAA.

One surprising thing is hearing Coach K essentially say people other than colleges (i.e. shoe/apparel brands) are recruiting the kids too, for post-college endorsement contracts. This happens already in the form of sponsored AAU teams and high school event games put on by various brands. You could imagine a world where Nike/Adidas/Big Baller Brand/whoever "sponsor" and even pay athletes at the college level as an outgrowth of AAU sponsorship.

But to get from where we are (everyone goes to college) to there (college-level semipro teams) would probably require the NCAA to lift the ban on playing semipro teams. Then, Adidas could instead pay their future guys directly, and work in exihibitions (in-season exhibitions?) as part of the team apparel sponsorships. I just don't think there is enough to make that work.

The poll is in early stages, but safe to say it looks like most people round here at least agree there is a problem.

In terms of consensus, that's a start.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    The poll is in early stages, but safe to say it looks like most people round here at least agree there is a problem.

In terms of consensus, that's a start.

- Chillin
    Pulling teeth trying to get people to agree on anything! Definitely helps that K came out today acknowledging that college hoops needs to make changes and grow.

Growth is not necessarily a good thing.

I think I need a "Both B and C" option in the poll.

Maybe not new ideas, but...

The NCAA could take the following actions, independent of the NBA and NFL, to loosen the perception/reality that colleges function as development leagues.

- Continue to not pay players. Do not attempt to be the destination for the elite athletic talent unless they are pursuing a degree.
    - Tie scholarship numbers to graduation rates, creating a significant, debilitating tax on programs that frequently utilize one and done and experience other forms of early departure.
    - Allow post professional players to participate (as long as they are full time students).
    - reduce the amount of time devoted to the sport. E.g. - no Spring football. In the off-season, let the student athletes be students.

I acknowledge the resultant climate would require an enforcement environment similar to today - schools would continue to look for an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No. That puts it back in the hands of the NCAA which is(apologies to Charles Barkley) a turrible idea. The only people that think the NCAA does a good job, is the NCAA.

This problem ballooned when the NBA introduced the age limit, thus, the one and done era was born. Take away the age limit, and it takes the need for regulation and enforcement out of the picture(for the most part). A high school graduate has a very simple decision tree/flow chart in this scenario....

Do I want to go to college? Y---------Go to college, play ball, be a kid, love the school your playing for, stay as long as you like and get ready for the next step in your life/career in sport or beyond.
    Do I want to go to college? N---------Go straight to the NBA and chase that life long dream.

Coaches=Happy because most kids will stay at least 2 years.
    Players=Happy because they get to choose their path and are not forced to go to college for a year when they never wanted to.
    Fans=Happy because they know, for the most part, they're getting recruits that are coming to play for their school because they wanted to, not because they had to.
    NCAA=Who cares about the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    No. That puts it back in the hands of the NCAA which is(apologies to Charles Barkley) a turrible idea. The only people that think the NCAA does a good job, is the NCAA.

This problem ballooned when the NBA introduced the age limit, thus, the one and done era was born. Take away the age limit, and it takes the need for regulation and enforcement out of the picture(for the most part). A high school graduate has a very simple decision tree/flow chart in this scenario...

Do I want to go to college? Y---------Go to college, play ball, be a kid, love the school your playing for, stay as long as you like and get ready for the next step in your life/career in sport or beyond.
    Do I want to go to college? N---------Go straight to the NBA and chase that life long dream.

Coaches=Happy because most kids will stay at least 2 years.
    Players=Happy because they get to choose their path and are not forced to go to college for a year when they never wanted to.
    Fans=Happy because they know, for the most part, they're getting recruits that are coming to play for their school because they wanted to, not because they had to.
    NCAA=Who cares about the NCAA.

Ahhhhh, the old "I Rule The World" solution. I have at least one of those myself but will not bore you with it.

Now, back to the usual, oft repeated arguments.