Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Kyrie Traded to Boston

Irving to Celtics will be done today

It's official!

Jeff Goodman says the Cavs have agreed to deal Kyrie Irving to the Celtics for Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Ante Zizic and the 2018 Nets pick. Wow, quite a haul for Cleveland. The Celtics must really, really love Irving. That Nets pick is a hugely valuable asset.

-Jason "methinks part of this deal is the Celtics freeing up forward minutes for Jaylen Brown and especially Jayson Tatum" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Next year's Celtics vs. Cavs games are going to be zesty!!

Cavs "inquired" about Tatum, Celtics said no.

how's Irving going to feel about being covered by the Globe?

Wow, moving Crowder is a huge plus for Tatum too.

Kyrie comes out WAY ahead here. Celtics are poised to compete right away, and to own the conference when Lebron leaves.

Still questioning Irving's timing?

So does Cleveland keep the pick or go all in and use it to get another player

Kyrie to Celtics

Per BDN

Very interesting trade. Cavs get a ton, IMO.

This may be enough to make me watch regular season games again.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Good haul for the Cavs, IMO. I'm surprised.

Great trade for the Cavs. They get a superstar in return, plus a terrific team player on a really team-friendly contract, a promising young big, and a high draft pick. They will almost certainly win the East again this year, and will be in better position for the rebuild when/if LeBron walks next summer.

For the Celtics, they get younger at PG, and younger on the wings, and a somewhat cost-controlled superstar for an extra year. They now become the frontrunners for the East in 2018-19 if LeBron walks next summer.

Did the Celtics give up too much? Probably. But if Irving can be an even better face of the franchise than Thomas (similar talents but Irving is far younger) maybe it is worth it. Their ceiling is certainly higher today than it was yesterday, as at least Irving has a chance on defense where Thomas does not.

What a fun trade though. So rare to see two rivals trade superstars like this. I am excited to see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Great trade for the Cavs. They get a superstar in return, plus a terrific team player on a really team-friendly contract, a promising young big, and a high draft pick. They will almost certainly win the East again this year, and will be in better position for the rebuild when/if LeBron walks next summer.

For the Celtics, they get younger at PG, and younger on the wings, and a somewhat cost-controlled superstar for an extra year. They now become the frontrunners for the East in 2018-19 if LeBron walks next summer.

Did the Celtics give up too much? Probably. But if Irving can be an even better face of the franchise than Thomas (similar talents but Irving is far younger) maybe it is worth it. Their ceiling is certainly higher today than it was yesterday, as at least Irving has a chance on defense where Thomas does not.

What a fun trade though. So rare to see two rivals trade superstars like this. I am excited to see how it plays out.
    Definitely made the East more interesting. Both teams have a number of new faces - but I like Stevens as a coach. It will be interesting to watch.

so happy for kyrie! way better than any other team he could have been traded to. can't wait to see him play with tatum and learn from a real coach!

is there anyway okafor could get over to boston and away from the dumpster fire of philly?

With Tatum and Kyrie, yep I'm a new Celtics fan!
    Boston strong

Kyrie and Tatum on the same team. Yes.

Got a call from an older PhiKap in NYC essentially saying "I can't believe I have to root for those (expletives) Celtics now that they have Kyrie *and* Tatum!!" I laughed at him, frustrated Knicks/Nets fan. Not having a horse in that race, I say Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Definitely made the East more interesting. Both teams have a number of new faces - but I like Stevens as a coach. It will be interesting to watch.
    It is one of those rare blockbusters that works well for both teams. Cleveland gets a bit better (adding two nice supporting pieces while taking only a slight step back at PG) for the 2017-18 season and gets a nice asset to either dangle in a trade to try to entice LeBron to stay or to help in their rebuild if/when LeBron leaves. Boston gets a younger star PG under contract for an extra year who fits better with their young core's window.

It will be interesting to see if Cleveland keeps Crowder/Zizic/pick or tries to turn that into another star.