Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Miami 31, Duke 6

Duke opens as a 5.5 points underdog. Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

God do we ever owe them. I'm begging Duke fans, please come out and support this fine team. The weather should be perfect.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke opens as a 5.5 points underdog. Discuss the game here.
    As has been stated - it's a Friday evening game in Wade, and it could be a huge program-boosting win. Whatever can be done to fill Wally Wade with loud Duke supporters should be done! This team has earned and deserves support. How cool would 5-0 be? Let's find out. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    As has been stated - it's a Friday evening game in Wade, and it could be a huge program-boosting win. Whatever can be done to fill Wally Wade with loud Duke supporters should be done! This team has earned and deserves support. How cool would 5-0 be? Let's find out. Go Duke!
    Will you be getting off work early to join us?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This has probably been mentioned before, but of all the days to have a Friday night game, the holiest night of the year for Jews is not ideal. If the game was Saturday afternoon during Yom Kippur I would chalk it up to business as usual but rescheduling to Friday night was not brilliant. That being said, I will be saying a few extra prayers for our guys and rushing home from synagogue to see the end of the game!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think being 5.5 point underdogs is a big nod of respect to our guys. Miami is ranked 13th; I was expecting a line closer to 10 points or more. Looking forward to upsetting Vegas once again, but a shout of thanks out west for not expecting a blowout.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think being 5.5 point underdogs is a big nod of respect to our guys. Miami is ranked 13th; I was expecting a line closer to 10 points or more. Looking forward to upsetting Vegas once again, but a shout of thanks out west for not expecting a blowout.
    Sagarin, factoring in the home field advantage, has us as wee favorites...but I think we're true underdogs...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Sagarin, factoring in the home field advantage, has us as wee favorites...but I think we're true underdogs...
    The line sounds about right to me.

And I still think we win.

LGD!!!!

As was/is being discussed in the post-Cheats game thread about our D's propensity for giving up explosive plays, does anyone have insight as to the Canes' QB/WRs/OC tendencies? How real is the risk of our DBs' getting exposed by the Canes' offense?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Sagarin needs to see the crowd at WW, lol. But hopefully things will be different Friday night, we need that stadium packed in blue..there will still be lots of orange and green there.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sagarin needs to see the crowd at WW, lol. But hopefully things will be different Friday night, we need that stadium packed in blue..there will still be lots of orange and green there.
    I sure hope these two guys show up. Sorry I couldn't get the gif to work.

THE U.jpg
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Has the ACC announced the officiating crew for the game? Wouldn't be a total surprise to have the same crew as 2 years ago. Swofford, you know.

As far as attendance, I have skillfully arranged my work schedule to have a morning job lined up for Friday, partially up I-85 from Atlanta. Unless the short job turns to crap, my son and I should be there for kickoff.

Cut apologizes for Friday night game/schedule:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...175178341.html
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm taking vacation starting Thursday, been thinking about making the trip up from West Palm Beach to see the game. Just trying to tag along or find someone to go with. So far none of my UM friends can make the Friday night start. So I might drive up solo. Having seen Miami play and practice a few times, I think we have a real shot at beating them. They have a monster D-Line that will be pressuring Jones all night, so he needs to get the ball out of his hands quickly, I don't think our O-line can handle these guys. After that they have a really good running game lead by Mark Walton who had a couple game breaking runs last weekend against Toledo one for 45 and the other for 83 I think. Travis Homer can get in the endzone as well put both of those guys together and you have a talented one two punch. Malik Rosier is a bit inexperienced but he just had the best game of his career against Toledo. He threw for 333 yards and 3 TDS with an interception. As always Miami has a lot of speed on the outside at the WR position. All in all I think this will be a tough matchup, but I think Duke is the more disciplined team right now. UM is prone to silly penalties and bone headed mistakes. If Duke can keep it close and not let UM get huge plays I think Duke can win it.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I'm taking vacation starting Thursday, been thinking about making the trip up from West Palm Beach to see the game. Just trying to tag along or find someone to go with. So far none of my UM friends can make the Friday night start. So I might drive up solo. Having seen Miami play and practice a few times, I think we have a real shot at beating them. They have a monster D-Line that will be pressuring Jones all night, so he needs to get the ball out of his hands quickly, I don't think our O-line can handle these guys. After that they have a really good running game lead by Mark Walton who had a couple game breaking runs last weekend against Toledo one for 45 and the other for 83 I think. Travis Homer can get in the endzone as well put both of those guys together and you have a talented one two punch. Malik Rosier is a bit inexperienced but he just had the best game of his career against Toledo. He threw for 333 yards and 3 TDS with an interception. As always Miami has a lot of speed on the outside at the WR position. All in all I think this will be a tough matchup, but I think Duke is the more disciplined team right now. UM is prone to silly penalties and bone headed mistakes. If Duke can keep it close and not let UM get huge plays I think Duke can win it.
    Good analysis. We're gonna need the D-line bringing serious pressure and containing the run, or this could be an uphill battle.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    This has probably been mentioned before, but of all the days to have a Friday night game, the holiest night of the year for Jews is not ideal. If the game was Saturday afternoon during Yom Kippur I would chalk it up to business as usual but rescheduling to Friday night was not brilliant. That being said, I will be saying a few extra prayers for our guys and rushing home from synagogue to see the end of the game!
    Wonder if any players will be sitting this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Wonder if any players will be sitting this one out.
    Sandy Koufax.

Walter doesn't roll on Shabbot.

Does stink, and hope that it does not cause any moral qualms with any athletes who also celebrate. But it's like sports on Christmas or Easter -- the sports entertainment complex needs that cash to feed that jones. So the show must go on.

Famous story about Clifford Roberts, long-time tournament director of the Masters. No one messed with Mr. Roberts. One year, the final round was on Easter Sunday and all the leaders were scheduled to tee off early. A CBS executive went to Mr. Roberts, explaining that it was Easter Sunday and a lot of folks might be at church or finishing their family meals. Therefore, couldn't he move the tee times around so the leaders went off later?

"Tell you what," replied Roberts. "You talk to the guy in charge of Easter, and tell him to change his times instead."

Loved, feared and sometimes loathed.

Love Coach Cut's awareness of the High Holiday and (and am not tying to equate) the impact our game will have on local high school games as well.

WRT the conflict with Yom Kippur, I'm going to give the schedule-makers the benefit of the doubt and assume they just never considered a college football game to be all that important that it warranted avoiding a conflict. (My bowling league Friday hasn't been canceled or rescheduled, either :-)

Complete one's religious duties, then catch the replay of the game on Watch ESPN or one's DVR. No big deal, imo.