Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting, that's certainly a divergent take. Almost every person I know who has seen the series has raved about it, and Ken Burns is pretty universally respected for his insistence on covering all angles. It currently has a 97%/95% reviewer/audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
    In fairness, I have a colleague -- a West Point graduate who served in a combat role in Vietnam -- who expressed the view, after the first four episodes, that he did not find Burns's work "balanced" (his word), in a way similar to how the New York Post article linked above described the imbalance it perceived. To my colleague's credit, he also readily admitted that he might well be "incapable" (also his word) of recognizing balance about that particular subject, as it (naturally) hit very close to home for him. I'm confident he is not alone in his views of Burns's documentary.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Listening to these vets expose what is likely in the deepest reaches of their souls has been very moving. I am really curious about how Burns (or whoever it was on his team) managed to elicit these confessions. I expect that most of what we have heard from these veterans has been totally unspoken for about fifty years. Hearing these stories that have likely been so deeply buried for so long is just remarkable.

You're right - it displays unbelievable courage.
    My parents met in DC during WWIi; both enlisted in the Navy following Pearl Harbor. My dad was an officer in Naval Intelligence and his war stories were fairly carefree since he was never in harm's way in England, France, and Germany.

Took my mom to see Saving Private Ryan in 1998 and it was difficult to watch, given my dad's stories. Took my mom out to dinner that night and she opened up with some stories I'd never heard. Her brother was among the first group of 18 year olds to be drafted and was in the 82nd Airborne. She went to see him a week before he left for Europe in April/May 1944. They didn't know about D-Day, but she knew he'd be involved in some invasion and she might not ever see him again. Three days later, he called to tell her he'd been selected for Officers' Training School. Lots of his friends died in Normandy.

Saving Private Ryan came out 50+ years after WWII. My dad had Alzheimer's at the time, so couldn't discuss it with him. Lots of vets in their generation rarely discussed WWII.

Vietnam ended 40+ years ago and was way more controversial than WWII. Amazingly courageous of the participants in the film for their candor and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    In fairness, I have a colleague -- a West Point graduate who served in a combat role in Vietnam -- who expressed the view, after the first four episodes, that he did not find Burns's work "balanced" (his word), in a way similar to how the New York Post article linked above described the imbalance it perceived. To my colleague's credit, he also readily admitted that he might well be "incapable" (also his word) of recognizing balance about that particular subject, as it (naturally) hit very close to home for him. I'm confident he is not alone in his views of Burns's documentary.
    Certainly everyone will bring their own experience and bias to the table. I would never argue against your colleague's personal opinion and I appreciate his and anyone's service.

Most who ever see combat do not wish to re live or even recall it

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Most who ever see combat do not wish to re live or even recall it
    Yes. I have spoken to many people in the last several days who are watching the series and it is affecting their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Certainly everyone will bring their own experience and bias to the table. I would never argue against your colleague's personal opinion and I appreciate his and anyone's service.
    I found that, even though nearly every episode made me angry in some way, I came away from the documentary more (rather than less) appreciative of the sacrifices made by those who served in Vietnam. I thought one of the most poignant parts of last night's final episode was when the female war protester expressed what seemed to my eyes and ears to be an extremely heartfelt, sincere apology to veterans for the way she, as a protester, had treated and spoken to the veterans upon their return home. It gave me some glimmer of hope that Burns's documentary may have some capacity to heal and unite, rather than further wound and divide, about one of our nation's most historically controversial subjects.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

This epic documentary should be available until at least mid November on PBS as ep 6 is scheduled for Halloween. On Demand has all the episodes. After that, unless they decide to roll it out for a pledge marathon, you will have to pay for it.
    The fascinating part of this documentary are the interviews. Viet Cong, Vietnamese civilians and NVRegulars are included along with our own soldiers and citizens. The series is well balanced for such a controversial and divisive time in our nation's history. It even mentions the significant drug use by our soldiers and the "fragging" of officers. Of course it can be criticized from a couple of different angles: but PBS wants people to watch it and to buy the $100 dvd set. So consider the documenatary a "popular history".
    The first 3 episodes cover the background for our combat involvement. Ep 4-8 the actual combat (many times in graphic detail)and protests at home. The last two episodes have the "Wow" factor as our involvement in the War winds down and we get the substantial backgrounds of the interviewees.
    The "draft dilemma" was real for males who graduated from college 67-69 before the lottery. I received the notice for my draft physical one month after graduation.
    Other than the national tv news, info about the war was not readily available in most areas. Access to a major newspaper was only in your campus library. So this documentary filled in the blanks for what I knew about the Vietnam War. This epic 18 hour documentary is highly recommended.

Walmart already has the DVD set of the Viet Nam War series for $60 for the full ten episodes. I noticed that a couple of weeks ago after the first two episodes had aired.
    Tom Mac

I cannot recommend Karl Marlantes' novel highly enough.

Matterhorn

You will likely recall that he is one of Burns' subjects. I heard him speak just after the book was published and he was quite remarkable.

Got an email from my local PBS station that streaming the series will terminate October 15.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    I cannot recommend Karl Marlantes' novel highly enough.

Matterhorn

You will likely recall that he is one of Burns' subjects. I heard him speak just after the book was published and he was quite remarkable.
    I just finished reading Matterhorn. Recommending is a two-edged sword. Without question it is one of the best novels of the Vietnam War. Similarly without question it is one of the more brutal novels ever written about that war or any war. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I was impressed by the survivor theme, while becoming depressed by the slog. How the Marine Corps' Bravo Company survived given the mistakes/recklessness of the commanding officers, who sat away from the battles, is beyond me. Some might call the company's performance heroic, but the author makes clear that heroism was the last thing on anyone's mind. The Marines fought for themselves, not for any high-minded purpose. He also makes clear the fact, well-known to my generation, that there was never a true goal in that war. He asks the question most of us recent grads were unable to ask at the time--through ignorance, trust or some patriotic belief--What the hell were we doing there?

Another novel of the war, written by James Webb, Fields of Fire (1978) is equally engaging, but not quite as depressing. [Yes, this is the same Jim Webb who served as United States Senator, Secretary of the Navy, Assistant Secretary of Defense, Counsel for the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs[ and Marine Corps officer who fought in Vietnam. He's also a fine novelist.] I have no hesitation in recommending that novel. It is certainly easier to read than Matterhorn.

And, insofar as Marine war novels are concerned, one cannot beat Leon Uris's Battle Cry (1953) which follows a young marine into the Pacific and to the Battle of Tarawa.

The main thing all three authors have in common is that they were there and can describe their experience in a novel format. None of them supports the myth of derring-do.