Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Vietnam War on PBS

The Vietnam War on PBS

Anybody watching? Opinions?

I've watched the first two and found them very entertaining and interesting. I grew up on the edge of that era, being a senior in HS when the draft ended. Watched the nightly news with the parents, had friends that went, and one swim team coach that came home from Vietnam a double amputee. I also have a friend now that teaches at Wake who was naval pilot (A4, IIRC) on the the USS Coral Sea in 68-69, who has some harrowing but interesting stories.

Besides all that, I'm not a huge history buff, so I found the first two episodes on how the Vietnam War began really interesting. And I'm looking forward to watching the rest.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The Vietnam War on PBS

I've watched the first two and found them very entertaining and interesting. I grew up on the edge of that era, being a senior in HS when the draft ended. Watched the nightly news with the parents, had friends that went, and one swim team coach that came home from Vietnam a double amputee. I also have a friend now that teaches at Wake who was naval pilot (A4, IIRC) on the the USS Coral Sea in 68-69, who has some harrowing but interesting stories.

Besides all that, I'm not a huge history buff, so I found the first two episodes on how the Vietnam War began really interesting. And I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

I have found it very well done but I expect that from Ken Burns. The subject is contemporary enough that he has actual film. The balance is amazing and I marvel at what his research has uncovered. The parallel to later history in both war and decision making are evident to anyone with an ounce of thought but then we can't go there. Kudos to Burns for daring to take on the subject and PBS for broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    The Vietnam War on PBS

I mentioned earlier today, in another thread, that I was watching this documentary and that it could probably be the subject of its own thread. I have a few man-crushes, and Ken Burns is one of them. I have watched all three installments thus far (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday), and plan to watch the fourth installment tonight. I am not really even on the "edge of that era" (born in 1969), so all of it has been very interesting to me. I want to withhold judgment for a bit, though, on the overall documentary. I'm pretty sure that it does not have a happy ending . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Cool

Having lived through that era, I have to have mixed feelings about going through it all again. It was not a fun time.

For those who'd like to know more about Burns, The New Yorker had a voluminous profile a few weeks ago, perhaps the 9/4 issue. Lots of interesting stuff.
    For a guy to accomplish what he has while living in New Hamster is truly inspirational.

War ended when I was in junior high, so have a very limited personal understanding of Vietnam. Ken Burns is extraordinarily talented. Have only watched the first episode, but it was excellent. Hope this project turns out as well as his Civil War and Baseball films. The timing of his projects is usually impeccable.

Do you know who was the CO of the Coral Sea at that time? I ask because my grandfather was CO of that ship for a bit. He fought in the South Pacific during WWII. Not sure if he was involved later on the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by FadedTackyShirt View Post
    War ended when I was in junior high, so have a very limited personal understanding of Vietnam.
    agentjohnson.jpg

So you're more like Agent Johnson, and less like Agent Johnson.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

When he requisitions your men, he'll try to let you know.

Coral Sea CO's

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Do you know who was the CO of the Coral Sea at that time? I ask because my grandfather was CO of that ship for a bit. He fought in the South Pacific during WWII. Not sure if he was involved later on the sea.
    This link will take you to a list of the Coral Sea's CO's. You have to scroll down the page to get the list.

https://www.navysite.de/cvn/cv43.htm#co

If I watch it do I have to stand the whole time?
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    This link will take you to a list of the Coral Sea's CO's. You have to scroll down the page to get the list.

https://www.navysite.de/cvn/cv43.htm#co
    A little weird. I opened the list and knew the first name I came across. Robert B. Pirie. His son and I served together in government, and I had dinner with the father on at least one occasion.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    If I watch it do I have to stand the whole time?
    Too soon!! lol

Seriously and coincidentally, last night's episode had segments on how African-Americans experienced the war, and it ended with Kent State. Everything so far has been earlier than I can recall; my memory of current events more or less begins with the 1972 election, about the same time I started delivering newspapers. (Baseball was different: in 1970, the Bucs got swept by the Reds in the NLCS; there were a couple kids in school that brought in little transistor radios and we tried to listen to bits of the games without getting caught.)

A couple of uncles went to Vietnam and had vastly different experiences. As a young Turk, I remember watching Walter Cronkite and the body counts and thinking sooner or later the bad guys were going to run out of people. I also remember being 12 or so (would have been around '73 or '74), knowing that US troops had been in Vietnam for several years with no end in sight that I could grasp at that age, and asking Mama Turk if I would get drafted and have to go over there and fight when I turned 18. That probably made her day.

The vets who have laid their souls bare for Burns' cameras are braver than I could ever imagine. I'm not worthy.
    Last edited by Turk; 09-27-2017 at 11:22 AM.

^ yeah, saw a bit of a gripping episode about a US company (or whatever unit it was) of soldiers essentially wiped out by an ambush...lost something like 80 out of 150 men. Viet Cong lost similar number, but
    the military decided that 450 was a much better number, one which had absolutely zero validity. And so it went day after day. I believe we did win the war on paper as such. (They ran out of guys).

Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Too soon!! lol

The vets who have laid their souls bare for Burns' cameras are braver than I could ever imagine. I'm not worthy.
    Listening to these vets expose what is likely in the deepest reaches of their souls has been very moving. I am really curious about how Burns (or whoever it was on his team) managed to elicit these confessions. I expect that most of what we have heard from these veterans has been totally unspoken for about fifty years. Hearing these stories that have likely been so deeply buried for so long is just remarkable.

You're right - it displays unbelievable courage.

I strongly recommend this series. It has been very well-done, full of things I never knew, great perspective, personally bravery of the veterans. The video alone is fantastic. Including the voices of the Vietnamese, from all different backgrounds - so powerful. Including the tapes of the Presidents talking - wow.

I can't say enough good things about this. Also, Ken Burns is great - but some of his series put me to sleep. Not this one.

It would be great to start an ongoing discussion about any number of issues the series raises.

-ramdevil

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    agentjohnson.jpg

Brilliant! Have to spread the love around though so no sporks for you.

The last chapter in the Vietnam War series was moving, powerful, emotional. It should be a requirement, by law, that every American watch this series, from beginning to end.

-ramdevil

Quote Originally Posted by ramdevil View Post
    The last chapter in the Vietnam War series was moving, powerful, emotional. It should be a requirement, by law, that every American watch this series, from beginning to end.

-ramdevil
    I agree with your first sentence, but do not with the second. Elaboration might lead me to prohibited PPB territory, and lord knows we don't need that.

My Ken Burns man-crush continues, but I will confess that I found myself reaching the 9:00 p.m. (Eastern) hour nearly each evening feeling angry. And the final 30 minutes (or so) each night didn't help. I actually took a hiatus on Monday & Tuesday nights this week, after watching Sunday's episode about the Tet Offensive and the early part of 1968, because I just couldn't shake it. I suppose that means Burns & Novick did their jobs. Thought-provoking doesn't begin to describe the viewing experience for me.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    Interesting, that's certainly a divergent take. Almost every person I know who has seen the series has raved about it, and Ken Burns is pretty universally respected for his insistence on covering all angles. It currently has a 97%/95% reviewer/audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Let's go Duke!