Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Cut is certainly addressing a need. Hope they can handle the job.
    Keep in mind that Parker still has two more years of eligibility.

But Cut has a history of redshirting punters as freshmen. Perhaps, that's the plan here.

Martin and Reed did place-kick as true freshmen.

You only have 85 scholarships. How many do you want to use on kickers? Three seems enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke has now received a committment from a punter.
    https://247sports.com/player/porter-wilson-46054807
    Can be reclassify to 2018??? Welcome to Duke!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Unrated 6-5 TE from Mass. commits. Duke appears to be his only p5 offer. Head scratcher.
    https://247sports.com/player/matthew-smith-46056663
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Unrated 6-5 TE from Mass. commits. Duke appears to be his only p5 offer. Head scratcher.
    https://247sports.com/player/matthew-smith-46056663
    I assume he camped with us, coaches obviously saw something they liked. We have a solid class so far even with the de-commits, I'm happy getting in on a guy before everyone else. Let's see what he can do!

Also, no major offers, but he was offered by a LOT of lower tier programs. Will be worth watching whether other offers start coming in, and also wouldn't read into the unrated bit. Now that he's committed I suspect he'll get bumped up the queue to be evaluated and we'll have an idea what the recruiting services think.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I assume he camped with us, coaches obviously saw something they liked. We have a solid class so far even with the de-commits, I'm happy getting in on a guy before everyone else. Let's see what he can do!

Also, no major offers, but he was offered by a LOT of lower tier programs. Will be worth watching whether other offers start coming in, and also wouldn't read into the unrated bit. Now that he's committed I suspect he'll get bumped up the queue to be evaluated and we'll have an idea what the recruiting services think.
    Also interesting to note that Daniel Jones was not rated, and had to pay his own way as a red shirt frosh. He de-committed to Princeton to come to Duke. So I wonder if Cut saw something, or if he was a panic signing in the aftermath of the Surratt de-commit, or a bit of both.

And on a related topic...de-commit is a euphemism for "breaking a commitment." Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Also interesting to note that Daniel Jones was not rated, and had to pay his own way as a red shirt frosh. He de-committed to Princeton to come to Duke. So I wonder if Cut saw something, or if he was a panic signing in the aftermath of the Surratt de-commit, or a bit of both.

And on a related topic...de-commit is a euphemism for "breaking a commitment." Just sayin...
    As you know, a football "commitment" is an obvious misnomer. The proper term is "promise," I suppose, in that the player gives up nothing. Re "commitment:" in a ham-and-egg breakfast, the chicken was "dedicated" -- the pig is "committed."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As you know, a football "commitment" is an obvious misnomer. The proper term is "promise," I suppose, in that the player gives up nothing. Re "commitment:" in a ham-and-egg breakfast, the chicken was "dedicated" -- the pig is "committed."
    Not even a promise. Just high level interest.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As you know, a football "commitment" is an obvious misnomer.

I look at it as an RSVP for an event six months from now. I intend to come -- but things can always happen between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I look at it as an RSVP for an event six months from now. I intend to come -- but things can always happen between now and then.
    That is how it plays out....that is not how it should play out, however. The chaos fears that coaches have, in both major sports, is legitimate. It is possible that what seems like "the right thing to do" with regard to this player or that player - might harm the sport to the detriment of everybody in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Not even a promise. Just high level interest.
    For now.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Keep in mind that Parker still has two more years of eligibility.

But Cut has a history of redshirting punters as freshmen. Perhaps, that's the plan here.

Martin and Reed did place-kick as true freshmen.

You only have 85 scholarships. How many do you want to use on kickers? Three seems enough to me.
    I didn't ask for dozens of kickers and never asked for more (not to mention we still have Reed and 4 other kickers on the roster, though not sure how many are scholarship). I only commented on Cut's recruitment of kickers to address a need, one that is not always a focus during recruiting but that we all know has great impact on our success. I still don't fully understand the issues surrounding Parker's exit and reinstatement, but I'm glad his presence means the frosh kickers won't be pressed into immediate service, if they are not ready (and I don't expect them to play as freshmen as a result). I'll continue to let Cut manage his roster and scholarships, but again, I am happy he is addressing a problem area.

I didn't ask for dozens of kickers and never asked for more (not to mention we still have Reed and 4 other kickers on the roster, though not sure how many are scholarship). I only commented on Cut's recruitment of kickers to address a need, one that is not always a focus during recruiting but that we all know has great impact on our success. I still don't fully understand the issues surrounding Parker's exit and reinstatement, but I'm glad his presence means the frosh kickers won't be pressed into immediate service, if they are not ready (and I don't expect them to play as freshmen as a result). I'll continue to let Cut manage his roster and scholarships, but again, I am happy he is addressing a problem area.
    I'm not sure what coaches saw in Reed, I recall seeing/hearing a lot of red flags about him when he committed and it appears those concerns were legitimate. These two guys appear to be good gets though.

It wasn't a panic signing. Daniel's HS coach sent some videos of Daniel at work so Coach Cutcliffe could evaluate them. There wasn't a scholarship available when Daniel decided to come to Duke, but there would be later.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It wasn't a panic signing. Daniel's HS coach sent some videos of Daniel at work so Coach Cutcliffe could evaluate them. There wasn't a scholarship available when Daniel decided to come to Duke, but there would be later.
    Definitely was not a panic signing, but he was not recruited the way a scholarship player would be (or he would have counted against the scholly limit when he enrolled). He was recruited to whatever extent a "preferred walk-on" can be recruited (or less). I don't recall what the restrictions for preferred walk-on recruitment are, but significantly less recruiting contact than normal scholarship player recruitment. People frequently point out that he was going to get a scholarship eventually, but ignore that the recruiting process was very different (less intensive) than for most players.

DJ was class of 2015 while Surratt was class of 2016 so Surratt had no effect on DJ's recruitment.

Well, golly gee dozens of kickers would be way too many. Glad we got that straightened out.

Right now, Parker and Reed are the only recruited kickers in the program. Several other players were "preferred walk-ons," an oxymoron, if ever I heard one.

So, two more would make four.

Or could make four.

Unless, something has changed, Reed is still in school, still on scholarship and still on the team, with two years left. But remember, he lost the PK job this spring to Colin Wareham, before Parker's return. He didn't get the nod for the bowl game last year, after Parker's dismissal.

I think it's fair to say that Duke's confidence level in him is not high.

So, it's hard to imagine him seeing the field again at Duke. Cut hasn't traditionally been inclined to pull a scholarship for performance issues. But I don't think it unfair to wonder if Reed finding another landing spot might not be in his best long-term interests.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, golly gee dozens of kickers would be way too many. Glad we got that straightened out.

Right now, Parker and Reed are the only recruited kickers in the program. Several other players were "preferred walk-ons," an oxymoron, if ever I heard one.

My favorite, from the "Way-Back Machine," was "volunteer for the military draft." And it really was a course of action taken by many.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Darrell Harding, Jr. of Winter Garden, FL has just committed to Duke. He's a WR who's 6'4" tall, 195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Darrell Harding, Jr. of Winter Garden, FL has just committed to Duke. He's a WR who's 6'4" tall, 195 lbs.
    Solid list of offers and interest:

https://247sports.com/Player/Darrell-Harding-46048838

Welcome, son!

BangBang DukeGang
    @SteveClarkTDD: https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...iew-119316750/
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide